Leupold scopes which one

buford1

Just purchased a REMINGTON 700 BDL VLS In 22-250 want to mount good glass on It. Use long range target shooting.opinions on the VARI-X III 6.5x20x40 EFR, or the benchrest 24x40. anybody own or used the above scopes. All opinions welcome

Mike Weber

I've used the 6.5X20x40 EFR its good glass. I usually prefer a bigger objective lense though. That new Remington you've got makes a good varmint buster. Good to see you over here Buford1. This is an interesting BB over here. There are a lot more people here than at G&A. You can get some pretty quick product and gun value info over here though. By the way is this because Junior got your other scope?:)

629 shooter

I own a 700 VLS in .223 and have a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20 - 50mm mounted on it. Was not the scope I thought I would end up with but the price was right - have no regrets - great optics! I personally would not go for a fixed high power benchrest scope.

cheygriz

I have a 6.5X20-50 on a .300 Magnum Remington Sendero heavy barrel, and I couldn't be happier with it. Great scope!!

buford1

Mike you hit It right on the head he won`t part with that 4.5x14-AO LEUPOLD can`t say I blame him a deals a deal.

ms1200

I have a var.x3 6.5-20x40 on my 22-250. couldn't be happier with it. very good scope.you can't go wrong with a leupold.

Mike Weber

Juniors Scope

Buford1 I can't say that I blame the kid for not wanting to let go of it if hes busting targets at 700 yards. That Remington Varmint is a great rifle. I used to have one for my coyote rifle.

muleshoe

One of the things I didn't like about the 6.5-20x40 I had was the huge difference in eye relief between 6.5x and 20x. I think the catalog states it as being something like 3.5" at 20x and a bit over 5" at 6.5x. While that inch and a half doesn't sound like much, it sure does feel like a bunch when you're sliding your head back and forth along the stock. It just wasn't a very comfortable scope to shoot through. But of course I was shooting a 300 winnie and worrying about getting smootched on the nose, you're shooting a 22-250 and not.

And....it looks so freakin' looong.

IMO, my 4.5-14 is a much more user friendly, and nicer looking scope.

Legionnaire

buford1, the Leupolds are great scopes. I have both the 6.5-20x40 and the 6.5-20x40 EFR. I don't see any advantage in having an EFR on a .22-250, though. The EFR shines when you crank down the focus to 50 feet or less, something you're unlikely to do with the .22-250. I use my EFR on a .22LR Remington 541T. Unless you plan to do a lot of shooting inside 100 yards, I wouldn't pay the extra for the EFR. If you can get them for essentially the same price, either will do.

Halffast

buford1,

I have a 6.5 to 20x non-EFR that I bought for my 7 mag that is more scope than I need. I never use over about 13x with it. It is a wonderful scope, however, Muleshoe is right about the big difference in eye relief. I would be willing to sell it, if you are interested. It is like brand new, but probably has some light ring marks on it. If you are interested, PM me and we can talk about it.

David