Leupold Scope Question

M700

I recently bought a Leupold 4.5-14x40 AO Tactical w/ Mildots to put on my 700Police. I absolutely love the scope, I just have one question. On the power adjustment ring, there are 2 sets of numbers. One is pretty darn obvious, its the power you are set to....Duh. The other reads Yrds/M and is graduated in increments of one from 2 to 6 or 8 I think. What exactly is this for? Sorry if I sound like a putz but I havent a clue about this. Thanks!

Paul B.

NYRSCCA. The numbers are one of two things. If the focus changes as you reach out to the longer ranges, then it is a focus adjustment for the range your are shooting. If there is no focus change, then it is a parallex ajdustment.
I have a Simmons 4.5x14 ATV (All Target Variabe) and in my case, it adjusts the focus for the different ranges.
I hope this clears it up.
Paul B.

Fatelvis

the numbers you are refering to, is for the range estimating feature on your scope. If you have a "plex" style crosshair (with your mil-dots) , bracket your target between the part of the crosshairs where they thicken, like the brisket of a deer, (this is graduated to be 16", I think, at 100 yds., and a deer`s brisket is approx. 16") and turn your power ring until the thick parts of the plex just touch the top, and bottom of your deer, and WHALLA! the front part of your power ring will read how many yards, (In hundreds), your deer is away! Hope this wasnt too confusing! Good luck

M700

Fatelvis,

Thanks. I kinda of figured thats what it was after going through my manual again and noticing that the duplex version had a range estimating feature. Not like I need it, since i have mildots and know the correct formula, but will this feature work with the mildot reticle too? I guess they just use one power selector ring for both reticle styles and I cant blame them as I can see it being more cost effective. Thanks again.

Fatelvis

To simplify things, you could use the selector ring for range finding, and the mil-dots for calculating hold-over, and leads for moving targets, wind doping, etc. The mil-dots are very precise, but they`re so small, it`s easy to make an error, on rangefinding.