Leupold or Vortex Viper HS

roklok

Looking for a scope to mount on my .243, and am tempted by the Vortex Viper HS. 4-16 LR model to be specific. Does anyone out there have one ? I have not found many reviews on this scope yet, as it has not been out that long.

I am looking for a reliable tracking scope to dial in long shots, so repeatable accurate tracking adjustments are a must. I own ten Leupolds, and have never been dissapointed. In the past, when ever I would try another brand, I always wished I would have stuck with Leupold. These Vortex scopes though really look like they have an attractive set of features though, and I am tempted to give one a try.

Does anyone know where the Viper HS models are made ? I know some of the less expensive Vortex's are made in the Philipines or China.

I am looking at either the Mark 4 Leupold or the Vortex Viper HS. Any constructive comments on either are appreciated.

timelinex

I can't talk for the HS line because it is a brand new line, but if you can swing getting the PST, it will not disappoint you.

roklok

Well the PST is within budget, but I do not want the illuminated reticle, or 50 mm Objectives. I want to be able to use low rings on this rifle, and was looking a the Viper HS 44mm for this reason.

Where are the PST's made ?

timelinex

You don't have to turn on the illumination, if thats a problem for you. I use low rings and butler creek caps and have no problem with low rings. I suppose it might be different with a different rifle though.
From everything I am aware of the PST's are made in the Philippians but the lenses is from japan. The only vortex's that might not have Japaneses lenses are their crossfires, and thats because its the $100 line of scopes, those cannot be compared to any of their higher end scopes.

roklok

Thanks TimelineX,

I dont believe a 50mm will fit on my rifle with low rings, (Remington 700). I had a 40mm scope on it before I switched it to another rifle, and there was not a whole lot of extra clearance. My main objection to the Illuminated reticle is just the control sticking out of the eyepiece, just not a fan of the look of that, and dont see myself ever using it. I found a picture somewhere of a Vortex, probably a Crossfire, with made in China on it.

HKGuns

I own ten Leupolds, and have never been dissapointed. In the past, when ever I would try another brand, I always wished I would have stuck with Leupold. These Vortex scopes though really look like they have an attractive set of features though, and I am tempted to give one a try.

You already know how good Leupold scopes are, you answered your own question. I would go with Leupold.