Leupold On A Rimfire

N00b_Shooter

I got an old Winchester 320 a while back for $100AU and it came with a really crappy Nikko Stirling 4x that's really cloudy. I found a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 used on Ebay for less then half the price of a brand new scope, it only has ring marks and a tiny paint chip.

I have always been told to not put a normal scope on a rimfire but i know heaps of people that do it anyway.

Just looking for peoples opinions on the scope and how it will go on the rifle, also will it still be covered by Leupolds lifetime warranty if its second hand?

Thanks in advance

4EVERM-14

There is nothing wrong with putting quality glass on rimfire guns. What you need to be aware of is that many scopes will not focus under 25 yards. If that is not a problem then go for it. Whatever scope you choose try to find one that has an adjustable objective capable of focusing to 50 feet. This will insure being able to use the rifle indoors or out.

hoytinak

The main difference in rimfire and centerfire scopes is the parallex. Most rimfires are factory set at 50-60yds and centerfires are factory set at 100-150yds. This setting however can be changed by the factory. I'd get that FX-II, send it to Leupold and have then change the parallex to 60yds (what they set their rimfire scope at).

SilentHitz

I stopped using rimfire scopes on .22s decades ago, had too many fog up, break crosshairs ect. Might have to go with high profile rings for the front of the scope to clear the barrel, but that's not a big deal.

PetahW

I started using 1" tube scopes on my rimfires in the mid-70's, switching to Leupold Rimfire Compacts (4x or 2-7X) for all of them by the late 90's.

I've NEVER bought a new Leupold scope (always used), but Leupold has ALWAYS honored their warranty on the very few (2) out of 15, that needed work.

Here in the US, even WallyWorld carries conversion scope rings that adapt a 1" scope tube to 3/8" rimfire rifle scope mount grooves for about $10US.

NESHOOTER

I use weaver 2.5x7 and am happy with the scope I also have a nikko stirling on my 10/22 Hbar target and the nikko (no fog, something has happen to the scope....) and I have on it is very very nice unlike the weaver not to say the weaver is less but the other is brighter and a BSA sweet .22 and for me the clarity is ok as well I do know the limits of range and POI's on them and they are different on all with different ammo. Yes you can put Great g;ass on it but its not going to do much after 150 yrs with enough umph.. to do much other than a hole with the Foot pound of pressure is on the weak side for the .22 already con grats on the new .22 and lets us known what you do and how it shoots.

James R. Burke

I have had many regular Lepolds on rimfires that were not made for a rimfire. They seemed to work just fine. Like the one post said past 25 yards no problems, and the low powered ones even closer. Just myself, and not saying that is a good way to go, but worked many times for me. Also sounds like a good buy maybe for a differnt rifle down the road.

Last edited:

Oilburner350

I have a Vari-X IIc 3-9x40 A.O. on my 541-T. I haven't had any issues with the scope on the rifle. It seems to be a great combo. Like someone else mentioned, if I have a centerfire that needs a scope I can move it. Then I get to find something else for the 541.

cal74

For about 15.00 bucks, which includes the return shipping you can send it back to Leupold and have them set the parallax to anywhere you want it.

A full sized rifle scope can and many times does work as attested to by other posters.

I once bought a used 77/22 which came with something like a Bushnell Banner scope and the paralax was VERY/extremely!!! bad.

I replaced that scope with a Leupold 2X7 and although this scope was made for large rifle use, the paralax was daylight to dark better then the cheap Bushnell.

During the time I had that rifle, I had that scope and also a compact Leupold 2X7 mounted with the same good results in both cases.

On the Clark Custom 77/22 I presently own, I have mounted a Leupold 3X9 EFR scope which is excellent!

The Clark was a replacement for a very bad TC "classic" on which I had an equally bad Trashco 4X12 w/A.O.

That scope was worth just what I paid for it and was plain and simple, Junk/trash.

As indicated above, Leupold can and will for a relatively small amount of $$ change paralax on some if not all their scopes.

I had a 2X handgun scope set to 25 yards for use on a Slabside RUGER Mark II and that combination is awsome.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot