letting a barrel cool at the range

longeyes

I've been to the range twice with my Marlin 336W (.30-30). I've been shooting handguns for a while, usually 100 to 200 rounds for a gun at a session. But this is my first rifle. The first time out I shot 20 rounds, the second time 60 rounds. How long should one take to let a barrel cool off a bit, and after how many rounds? What's a reasonable number of rounds to fire off at one range session with a rifle of this type? Is there a risk of damaging a barrrel through overheating? I took about 90 minutes to two hours, I believe, to go through 60 cartridges that second time. The barrel was getting pretty warm about half-way through and though I let it cool for a while it stayed warm to the end. Enlightenment, please.

DAVID NANCARROW

Yes, you can damage the firearm by overheating. You may want to shoot 3 round groups, and check often after that. If the barrel is becoming uncomfortable to the touch, leave the action open (always a good idea at the range) and go buy a coke or walk around and meet some of the other shooters.

Noban

As was recommended, when the barrel feels hot to the touch, open the action and take a little walk. For your piece of mind, I offer the example of the AK full-auto shooters who actually ignite their handguards due to barrel heat. Many of these guns go for 30,000 rounds before a rebarrel is necessary. My point is that getting your barrel a little hot is well within its design parameters.

Noban

longeyes

I appreciate the input. I did in fact open the action and give the gun a break for several minutes when it seemed to be getting quite warm to the touch. I saved cleaning the rifle until I got home, though--is cleaning it at the range necessary/advisable if you fire off more than say a box of 20 rounds? What I don't have is a good sense of what a typical range outing with a rifle consists of, since, as I say, my previous experience is handgun-only and there 100 to 200 rounds doesn't seem like a big deal. I realize rifles are offering higher velocities and much more energy--does that mean one shouldn't fire so many rounds at any given session? What's a reasonable maximum? I'd like my barrel to last. (I may be totally wrong but I get the sense that hunters, e.g., don't fire their rifles that much, that one box of 20 lasts them the whole season--is that true?)

One more question: are the snake-type bore cleaners worth using? Or should one stick to the rod and patch approach for cleaning?

Byron Adams

letting the barrel cool

With the action open, insert a cleaning rod at or near bore size about every 12 shots. That will draw some heat out of the barrel if allowed to sit for about 10 minutes. It will not be cold but will keep too much heat from developing.

Guyon

longeyes,

I hate to be the bearer of good news here, but the fact is you're going to need another rifle or two. The best way I've found to help cool down time is to alternate shooting with two or three rifles. Generally, I'll shoot a three or five shot group with one (still giving the barrel a little time to cool down between shots). Then, I'll let that gun cool down while I shoot with another.

So get busy shopping, and don't come back until you have a good bolt action to go with that Marlin lever gun. :)

I'm a little curious about your accuracy--firing 60 rounds in an hour and a half. Did accuracy decrease as the barrel got hotter? Generally, this is what happens.

joebogey

These guys have all given good advise, but almost all have made one statement I would have to disagree with. Never leave the action open and go walking around to meet other shooters. You may come back to find you no longer have anything to shoot, if you know what I mean.;)

-dave

Joebogy,

I don't know where you shoot, but damn near everywhere I've ever shot, I would trust the people at the range far more than a random sample of folks in any other setting.

Now I'll remove my bolt when going down range to change targets just because I'm kinda careful, and you never know if someone has a guest that is not familiar with weapons, and might do something by mistake, but I would *never* think to worry about someone stealing my rifle if I left it alone for awhile.

What I continuously tell folks is that if you want to be around a very polite group of trustworthy folks, go to a gun show, a local gun shop, or a fring range. Gun owners, by and large, are some of the finest people you will meet.

-dave

Lonnie Jaycox

It is my understanding that sport/hunting rifles are machined to a different standard than combat rifles. An AK has a looser barrel and is therefore less accurate but more heat tolerant. Target rifles being the most heat sensitive of all. I own a Marlin 336 and I recall that consistency falls off considerably as the barrel temp rises. I suuport the multiple rifles at the range theory to guard against this!!

P

PreserveFreedom

The best advice so far is to bring several firearms and alternate. :)

longeyes

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to bite the proverbial bullet and add to my longguns then. Bad news indeed!

;)

Guyon

In addition to a good bolt gun, get yourself a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 60. They're relatively inexpensive, even for a new gun. You can have a heap of fun shooting a rimfire while your centerfire rifles cool. It doesn't cost much to shoot, and the barrels on the .22s don't heat up like a .30-30.

Also, there's no better rifle (or pistol) than a .22 for practicing the fundamentals of good shooting. A brick of ammo (500 rds) is only around $10-$15, and the lessened recoil helps the newer rifle shooter learn to shoot rather than learn to flinch.

joebogey

dave,
From the tone of your reply, I seem to have insulted you which I assure you was not my intention. However, I stand by my statement. Being a gunowner does not make all people honest and truthful in all things. If you think only the honest and law abiding hang out at a shooting range, I'm afraid you are in for a big surprise. I do hope your range is different as you say, and if so, I congratulate you on your good fortune. Again if I insulted you or anyone else by my statement, I apologize.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
Longeyes,

> is cleaning it at the range necessary/advisable if you fire off more than say a box of 20 rounds?

Depends on your objective IMO. I punch the bore on my precision rifle every 5 rounds, on my black powder cartridge rifle every 3 rounds, on my AR... well sometimes while at the range.

> What I don't have is a good sense of what a typical range outing with a rifle consists of,

Depends. The most I've put through my precisions rifle at one sitting is 40 rounds, through my AR 600+, I usually take my hunting rifle to sight in with two boxes (40) of the ammo I'm hunting with. Use the first one to get it zeroed and then verify cold shot placement (this is an alllllll day affair)

If your barrel is just "hot" to the touch you shouldn't have a problem if you let it cool down btwn strings. If you are getting your barrel hot enough where you can't even touch it or it's turning red than you need to slow down.

> the snake-type bore cleaners worth using? Or should one stick to the rod and patch approach for cleaning?

IMO they are one of the greatest things next to sliced bread. A quick run through the bore every now and then brings out alot of crud that otherwise would build up and you would have to remove upon cleaning. They also a much more "user friendly" in that they "fold" up.

Poodleshooter

Well with my Win94 in 30/30, I usually don't put more than 20 rounds downrange before cleaning. My SAR-1 on the other hand, usually gets about 75-100rounds through it before I detail clean it. I've made the handguards smoke, and there is still some plastic residue stuck on the barrel from a time I rapid fired, then lay it down on a synthetic mat :eek:

Ewok_Guy

The most I've shot at one time out of my Ak is 30 rounds- this is rapid fire, so they all went in about 10 or 15 seconds.
I then leaned it up against the wall for about 15-20 minutes and it was completely cooled. Good thing the gas tube/barrel isn't touching the synthetic handguard, or it would have melted or at least started to smoke for sure! :eek: It might be a good idea to get one of those steel, quite ventilated upper handgurds for this purpose.

Attachments

• ak_guard.jpg
    ak_guard.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

ctdonath

Realistically, how hot must the barrel get before worrying about damage? Last week I was at a precision shooting course, and blew through up to 100 rounds _per_hour_ with no indication of overheating. I didn't want to touch the fluting, sure, but there was no hint of performance degredation.

Methinks barrels are tougher than we give them credit for. Mag after mag of full-auto might be a problem. A normal day at the range should be fine - if it is a problem, I'd want a refund.