Let's try this, Glock fans

sasquatch

What I would like to see is POSITIVE input as to why so many law enforcement agencies have switched to Glocks.

No flaming, no putting people down for their opinions, no BS. If it isn't positive, don't bother.

Post your opinions, the opinions of others, detailed research, whatever it is that you consider "proof"..............but make it positive. Add links if you so choose.

How long can we go before things start to go south?

Here is my first offering:

"LAPD Commission Gives Officers More Stopping Power, Chooses Glock."

"Quite frankly, it''s just a much better weapon" than the standard-issue Beretta 9 mm, Chief William Bratton told the five-member civilian panel that establishes policy for the Los Angeles Police Department."

Moloch

How long can we go before things start to go south?

It already happened. I own a Glock, but even I think we have enough Glock threads with true/untrue ''facts'' or thoughts, and it always ended with no results. There is no ''proof'' in the internet, everyone can post his own opinions saying its fact, and It always starts and ends like that.

SIGSHR

I will report what I have been told by the several LEOs-two of whom are
shooting buddies of mine-that the main selling point of the Glock is that it is
considered a good weapon for people who have little proficiency in handling
firearms. A few years ago the New Jersey State Police adopted the Heckler
and Koch P-7 for the same reason. The Staties I know said they actually had
more safety problems and ADs with the P-7 and it was quietly dropped a few years ago.

roman3

Well as far as my department goes we are given the opportunity to get our own weapons from the following list:

1. Beretta 92 Series
2. Any S&W 9mm
3. Glock 17/19

Most (80%) go with Glock , the other big choice is the sigma (because of cost) and most I know regret that choice, most new shooters (or those who have had no experiance with guns) and almost all of the female officers seem to prefer the Glock 19 for weight, capacity and ease of use and ease of cleaning.

I carried a M9 for years in the military and I still went with Glock 19 because of weight and size + the ability to conceal it if neccessary.

FWIW

hpg

They are so reliable.
They don't require much maintenance.
Easily taken apart.
Not over priced like some semiauto's.
Accurate
hpg

HSMITH

Simple, rugged, reliable, accurate, and agency costs for them are VERY low with a VERY attractive trade in policy to get the non-glocks out of the agency. Glock wins with the bean counters too.

robone

So far, so good.

Thanks!!

just like any business decision... how long can we write off the depreciation...it is obvious that well made smiths and berrata and others clearly hold their values...unknown to this date about a poly gun.. i mean really...how do they judge it for trade in value...it could og beena mountain do bottle before

everything is based on what a lead agency does noone wants to get caught behind..kinda makes you wonder about those that are researching and taking bids on new .45's 1911 style!!!

evan1293

I think there are many reasons why a large amount of law enforcement has embraced glock handguns. One of these reasons is cost... these are some of the least expensive firearms on the market that are suitable for that type of work. Additionaly glocks are very simple to maintain. With just 27 parts, a relative novice can become quite proficient at completely stripping and replacing worn/broken parts should the need arise. This goes along with cost savings because agencies do not need to send an officer or employee to an expensive and lengthy school to become a certified armor, the glock armors course can be completed in one day.

Some other reasons for glocks' popularity are that the guns are simple to operate--no external safeties, no decockers, just mind your trigger finger and aim and fire. Because there are no external safeties/decockers glocks are pretty left hand user friendly which is a good thing for the variety of officers that are on a given force. The gun is tough, quite accurate, easy to shoot and utterly reliable. It seems like a no brainer that the glock would be a fine choice.

Personally I love the glock. I think the trigger takes some getting use to for some folks and the stock sights are pour at best, but change the sights and get some practice and the glock is a great performer. I've had to deal with the company a little bit and their customer service has been outstanding. Im sure they would treat LE agencies with no less respect and helpfullness.

gmarr

As a senior firearms instructor for my agency I was involved in the testing and selection of the Glock for our Department. I can relate the testing and some of the reasons we went to the Glock.

The original thought was to switch to auto's for the increase in firepower. Specifically, ammunition capacity. Then find an auto that was 'cop proof'. Meaning ease of use, reliability, and durability.

The Glock is as simple as it gets. Pull trigger and it fires. No decockers, safety levers, etc. High capacity, between 13 and 17 rounds depending on caliber. Ease to field strip, clean, and maintain. You know how much cops love to clean their firearms. And considering the amount of Glocks we've been through, originally issued the G17 then switched to the G22. Then the G22C and optioned the two .45 caliber models, they're more durable than expected.

Whatever parts our officers have managed to break have yet to lead to a fail to fire situation. Then there's the weight. Fully loaded and with two spare magazines it usually came in under the S&W M19/66's we issued.

Handling and 'fit' were also better than either the revolvers and other auto's we tested. Most of our officers stated in the evaluations that they liked the way their hands fit with the frames. Both male and female officers, and few optioned the G19/23's.

We are very satisfied with the Glocks and the service we've received from the factory.

Edward429451

I'm fair so I'll post here too. Glocks are 100% reliable right out of the box. Could not say that about my 1911. I also shoot better with my G21 than I do with my 1911.

So that must be why LEO's are going for them too, aside from price.

I don't dislike Glock at all, just have a greater affinity for my 1911, and I think my 1911 will be here long after the Glock has passed. Fair enough?

robone

Quote:
how does one LOVE a glock?

You dont want to know.....

your right.....poly affection....self admitted....this is scarry....are all poly owners like you ...i'll be viewing them totally different.....maybe 60 minutes can do an expose about you guys

3gunfreak

Reliable

SIGSHR said it. Speaking from a Law Enforcement perspective, my former department carried Glock 22s. We hardly had any problems with them. Many of my co-workers would come to qualifications and you could hear the slide being pulled back. (like 000 sandpaper on a nice piece of pine). They still fired without hesitation. Officers who do not clean their guns because they haven't shot them can still benefit from the reliability. Patrol officers like myself don't work inside. We are in the elements(rain and wind) a lot and our firearms seem to pick up every piece of grit blowing in the breeze. Glocks still perform. I have moved on to a new department and to a Sig P226-.357. It took a little getting used to the hammer and the de-cocker but I have adjusted. Sig makes a good gun, But I love my 3 Glocks at home(G22,G35 and my leg-strapped, baby back-up G33)

LE agencies pick glock because they get them dirt cheap

Well funded agencies where price is no object get Sigs(Secret Service,Air Marshals,Navy Seals etc)

not a glock basher,i have a glock 33 and love it,but if sig made a sub compact that small my glock 33 would be replaced

Last edited: