Lets talk tactical shotguns

Dirty_Harry

My local club is about to start up a 3 gun course. I am not a shotgun person, so I am somewhat lacking in that arena. I have a Marlin single shot 12, remington 870 slug gun (cantilever setup for deer) and a Winchester Model 1897.

Sure I could swap barrels on the 870, sure I could probably use the winchester, but frankly I want a new shotgun. :D The Winchester was my Grandfathers and I want to keep it pristine for generations to come.

So what do you guys suggest? I had an 870 tactical at one point, and honestly I wasnt the biggest fan. The way the 870 recoiled into my cheek when shooting slugs was rough. Right now at the very top of my list is a Benelli Nova or Super Nova Tactical. I love the sights and the shotgun feels great. Ghost ring sights are pretty much a must, as I would like to be able to shoot slugs somewhat accurately.

I am looking to spend $600 or less, so I assume its going to be pumps only. ( I would kill for a Benelli M4).

It has to last and be reliable as well, as this would more than likely last me the rest of my life. I also plan to use it for home defense.

Thanks in advance.

Gunfixr

You might find a Mossberg 930 Tactical for around $600. Everything else I can think of will be more, unless you find something used cheap.

jeager106

I agree with the "shop for a police 870". Most police shotguns aren't fired
very much. They mostly take cosmetic beatings from being in a squad car 24/7 and most aren't properly cleaned, lubed, etc., so there is little actual
wear of the innerds parts. Many police riot guns already have rifle type sights
so you might only need a magazine extension if that add on is important to
you.

Bake

For your first match (Shotgun stage) any gun will do. Look around and see what the other shooters are using. See if there's going to be a "Pump Class" and a "Semi Class". See if there's a 12 ga. and a 20 ga. classes. Them go get a Benneli M-2 (with a 24" or 26" barrel) and "Kick-some-ass)!!

Dirty_Harry

That CZ looks really nice, but I would like to put my hands on one before I buy. I dont know anyone close to me who would have one.

jfruser

" Shop around for an old police model 870. "

This, with bells on it.

Clean it up and take it out to your first few matches stock. See what the other competitors use and how it works for them. A 870p built on the Wingmaster receiver with a little bit of LEO wear is going to be slick.

Whether true or not, I have been told when shopping for a used 870P to watch out that the PD armorer didn't cannibalize them for cherry parts before placing them for sale. I have wondered if this isn't some bull spread by a guy that wants to sell new guns.

Erno86

My cushioned strapped cheek piece --- that I bought from Brownells and mounted on my 870 Law Enforcement --- help's tame that sting on my cheek.

I've read that most 3 gunners shun the rear shotgun iron sight, and only prefer the beaded front sight.

Model12Win

I highly recommend a Winchester M12 riot gun for your purposes. Here is mine:

M12_riot_gun.jpg

They can be had for well under $600, and the gun (which is 100% milled steel and walnut) will last you the rest of your life and then some. Reliable to a key, these guns were used in WW1 through the Vietnam war as "trench" shotguns with a heat shield, bayonet lug, and sling, and were highly effective in the jungles and trenches of those wars. This one in particular was referred to as a "riot gun" and lacked these accuterments, and was used for guarding airfields and army bases etc. etc.

It doesn't get more TACTICAL than fighting WW2! :D

Stevie-Ray

You might find a Mossberg 930 Tactical for around $600. Everything else I can think of will be more, unless you find something used cheap.
I paid sub-600 for my SPX, but it was a few years ago. It has the advantage of being the softest shooting SG I've ever fired, and has great GR sights.

Brotherbadger

I'm going to repeat what a few other people said. Look for a used Police 870. It's well made and a great deal when picked up used. As many others have said, they are never really used and might have some cosmetic problems, but that's about it.

g.willikers

Semi autos are generally the rule for 3 gun.
But check with the match director for their ideas of the expected stage designs and equipment rules first.
There's nothing the newer guns will do than a $400 or less Remington 1100 can't do, too.

Bake

You can gain speed (time) by using an auto, in 20 ga., with a 24/26" barrel, if your club will allow them...

MarkCO

I shot my first 3G match with a Marlin Camp 9, G22 and 870. However, the recommendation to buy an 870 for 3Gun is off in the weeds. I shoot regularly with Pump Gunners with National and World Titles in 3Gun, and they all run the Autos faster. Anyone better than me, yes PLEASE, shoot a pump. :D

That said, my recommendation is to show up with no shotgun and a case of ammo and plead ignorance at best, for the first match. I have several shotguns, one VersaMax with over 2500 rounds on it...I have only put about 150 through it. The rest is loaners.

When it comes to auto shotguns suitable for 3Gun and HomeDefense, there are really just a few. The Benelli M2 ($1200 plus), Remington VersaMax ($1100), FNH SLP ($900) and Stoeger M3000. That is in order of popularity, and price tag, but my choice is the VersaMax. The Stoeger M3000 is the budget leader, an M2 knock-off with a better recoil system that soaks up recoil, for around $500.

You will get people telling you about the CZ712, Beretta 1301s, the Mossbergs (SPX and JMPros), 1100s, 11-87s, etc. Fact is, they won't endure even moderate 3Gun abuse. If they won't last in 3Gun, you don't want to bet your life on them. The only one I have not decided on is the new Browning, just for lack of track record.

If you want a pump, the best bet for HD and 3Gun is the SuperNova. Large loading port makes loading easy, very reliable and good aftermarket support. It will gain you time in 3Gun the 870 can't.

JD0x0

Mark, could you offer any insight on the CZ 712 'Practical'?
It was designed for 3 gun so one would have to assume it could hold up to what it was designed for, but I could be wrong. I have an interest in that gun due to it's price and in my research I haven't come across much info on reliability or durability being sub-par, but maybe those people weren't running them hard enough to notice problems.