Lets talk plate carriers

DubC-Hicks

Hey guys, I'm looking at putting together an active shooter plate carrier setup. I'm an LEO, and the possibility always lurks in my mind, and I really don't want to run in with just my patrol vest. I've got my mind pretty much made up to go with Spartan Armor 10x12" Swimmers cut level 3+ along with their lightweight carrier, for extra mobility over standard shooters cut. I'll likely get the multicurve plates as well for more comfort.

My question is, since this will be getting thrown over my level 2 patrol vest, is it still a good idea to run trauma pads as well? Or will the soft armor act like trauma pads?
Any LEO's, active or former military, or anyone with experience in this area have any other recommendations? I'm all ears

Last edited:

Chainsaw.

ZERO experience but given the amount Ive handled 2a/soft I would think a plate on top would work well.

Thanks for being out there for Us.

Kevin Rohrer

I have a bit of experience in this area.

In answer to your question, your L2 vest will not act as a trauma plate as it is soft. If you want said plate, it should either be ceramic (takes one hit and breaks-up, thereby absorbing the bullet energy) or hard metal (hardened steel or titanium). Said plate should go over your center of mass (i.e. heart area) and be around 6"x9".

Your L3 vest should stop anything = or < .308 Ball (including AK and 5.56) that is not armor piercing. If it gets through that, your L2 vest might/probably not stop it, but the trauma plate should.

Opinion: If you are working SWAT, your agency should be providing that type of armor. If you are not but your agency expects you to make entry in that type of situation, they should be providing the vest.

Whatever you choose, make sure you can move and maneuver with it, especially being able to crouch, go prone and get back up w/o assistance, and get through tight places.

3-years Army Military Police
13-years SWAT
36-years Patrol
43-years working and still counting

DubC-Hicks

I'm not asking if the level 2 soft vest will act as a trauma plate, I'm asking if it will act as one of the trauma pads, the soft pads you put behind the plates to absorb shock.

My standard patrol vest is a level 2. It also has a 8x6" AR500 trauma plate in a front pouch. The plates/carrier I'm asking about will be thrown over my standard vest. I guess what I'm asking is whether or not I'll need pads behind my 10x12 plates to absorb the shock, or if the soft patrol vest will be enough.

And I'm not on SWAT, I'm a road officer with a small rural department. I'll likely be expected to perform entry in an active shooter scenario as who knows how long it'll take county deputies or SWAT to arrive. The department budget is also not enough to equip all the officers with plates and carriers, so I'm looking to put one together to at least throw in our patrol car for whoever uses it.

Old Bill Dibble

The soft armor will act as a trauma pad. The military has essentially done that for about a decade now with their various armor set ups. I pretty much use the same type setup. I keep the plate carrier on the passenger floorboard. You still might break a rib if you get hit with a 12 GA slug but you will likely live.

Some notes:
Level III armor is not rated for .308. It is rated for military ball 7.62X51. These are fairly close but not the same thing. I don't which one you are more likely to encounter. But .308 is mostly more powerful and more commonly found on the civilian market. How much difference does it make? IDK. My point is that isn't rated for that.

Ceramic plates are designed to take more than one hit. At least military ones are. Testing requires two hits with more than 90% of tested plates remaining in one piece. Multiple hits will certainly destroy one but how long that takes depends. I have seen a plate take five hits of 7.62X39 and be just fine. Others start coming apart after one hit. That's ok, I don't recommend ceramic plates for police work any way. They are too fragile to bounce around in a patrol vehicle all day. Drop them or drop something on them and they get compromised.

Steel and ceramic plates are really heavy. I have worn them both at various times for... literally years on various deployments. A much better option would be hard Polyethylene. There is better and lighter stuff out there (carbon fiber, Graphene) but you won't be able to afford it. The poly stuff is great because it works and it is about the same price as steel if you shop around. The poly stuff is also stab resistant.

DubC-Hicks

The level III+ from Spartan armor is rated for M193, M855, and M80 ball up to 3100fps. In my area, I feel like we are most likely to be engaged by handguns, shotguns, and hunting rifles (I'd think typical 30-30, 308, 30-06 with soft point hunting ammo). Honestly, probably ARs as well since almost everyone has one these days.

I guess I feel like AR500/550 steel level III+ plates are a good trade-off. .25-.3" thick, 7ish pounds, and can take repeated hits (should probably be looking for cover after 1 but better safe than sorry). Also affordable at $180 for a pair.

DubC-Hicks

^^I could use that plate carrier, stack it full of level 3+ plates, throw my arms through the loops, and stop anything they hit me with :D

DubC-Hicks

Also 1" thick instead of .3" :eek:

I think I'm set on the Spartans. I like the swimmers cut for better maneuverability. I'm not sure if the weight will matter too much as it won't be using them for an extended amount of time (hopefully) and it'll be when my adrenaline is pumping like never before