Let's talk Mini 14!

chris in va

I've decided the AR platform just isn't for me. Having owned an AK and Garand a few years, I just like the fixed, drop stock and bolt handle better. It's a plus I can still mount a scope and it comes with peep sights, which I adore.

I understand Ruger beefed up the barrel a bit in 2006(?) which somewhat fixed an inaccuracy issue, but what else should I be looking for? The blued, wood stocked 18" version is probably what I'm after but I'm all ears.

The newer Mini-14s have a shorter, slightly stouter barrel that is supposed to be more accurate. The older ones need that Accu-strut or similar device to keep the barrel whip down to a minimum. They're fun, but if you need work done, it must go to a gunsmith.

Bolt gets out of headspace? Send it to the factory. You can't readily swap out barrels on a Mini-14 like you can an AR.

I have Ruger's armourers' tools and the only way Ruger sells them to you is if you attend their school. Most gunsmiths won't have them.

rickyrick

2009 started the heavy tapered barrel... Serial numbers starting with 581 are a sure bet....

I can squeeze this out of my mini with expensive ammo

Expect 2.5 to 3 inch with cheap ammo

attachment.php

rickyrick

Yes I'm pretty sure it was 2009...

This rifle does have a pretty hefty muzzle brake on it... May have some effect on the group...

It also was good ammo, hornaday I think it was... 3-9 40mm scope... Prone supported on a backpack

Russian and other cheap ammo isn't that good.

When I would have unsuccessful coyote hunts I would walk off 100yds and shoot a small stumpy water bottle with the round that was in the chamber.. And never missed either

1. 2008 is when the heavier tapered barrels came out---I know because I bought one then

2. The barrels are only shorter in the Tactical and NRA models--the Tactical has a flash hider--the NRA is just a shortened version of the regular model and has a rubber covered Hogue stock and was made for just a very short time.

3. Beginning in late 2013 they started coming with 2 magazines for each particular model--either a 20 or 5 rounder---Also they started coming drilled and tapped for a Picatinny rail --with the rail included along with the regular Ruger scope rings---the receiver is stamped 5.56 NATO instead of the old .223 Rem

My most recent Mini is a 583 prefix Walmart Black Friday standard model($580)---so far its been excellent

My standard model feels like a deer rifle with the longer barrel and stock---my smaller Tactical model feels like a personal defense weapon

One of my grail guns is a STAINLESS Tactical model--which seem very rare---if I come across another one--it will be mine.

Yes---you can say I like my Mini's

Last edited:

Kosh75287

The one I bought in 1976 sheared an extractor in 1986. SEnt the bolt in and got it fixed. Never had any trouble since. STILL exhibits "minute of washtub" accuracy, but this is on the mend.

chris in va

The local gun store has a couple older 18x 'Department of Corrections' trade-ins for $590. Stainless, polymer stocked. I didn't care for the older peep sight style or the straight barrel but thoughts anyway?

KMAX

My Mini-14 will do anything I need and looks a whole lot cooler than my AR15, IMO. Thinking about it this morning and decided that if I had to get rid of one it would be the AR. $.02.

pilpens

I too, like the look of the Mini 14 more than an AR --- but I only have ARs -- no mini, yet. Someday, I will get the newer model with the 16" barrel.