Let's talk EAA Windicator

Bigfatts

Because I just bought one. Barely used, 4" heavy barreled .357 Mag. Nice looking revolver and the price was very right. I wanted a 4" barreled something to keep in the house and this seemed like just the ticket. Is there anything I should know about this thing? It was less than a used Taurus and I like it much more. The fit and finish isn't on par with S&W but for what I paid, I don't care.

Here's a pic:
003-4.jpg

Patrice

Hhmmm....Well, from what I've seen of revolver prices in online stores, Windicators are one of the less expensive revolvers that can be purchased nib (<$300). Looks nice; please post how it does for you. I'm curious about the #'s of .38sp vs .357mag rounds you can fire from it before the cylinder gums up and it gets hard to eject the spent cases.--Patrice

Bigfatts

Lee, it's leaning on a knife sheath. I needed something to prop it up with and that's what was handy.

I know it is an inexpensive gun but it looks nice, feels great in the hand and locks up rock solid. I would compare the quality to a Taurus. If it shoots ok I'll be very pleased.

Venom1956

I've heard less then flattering things about it. I mean no offense. Due to the metallurgy. I hope yours does well.

Jim March

I wouldn't run hot ammo through it. BUT, feed it lower-powered 357 loads like the Cor-Bon 125 DPX, Remmie Golden Saber or the Speer Gold Dot 135gr in "357 short barrel" and do most of your practice in 38, and it should be OK.

The basic design looks a lot like a Charter or Ruger DA - the action seems to fork up into the frame. Nothing wrong with that. The trouble reports I've seen involve metallurgy as somebody else also said...keep a careful eye on the back of the barrel with the cylinder swung open, and the frame right above - those are the most likely trouble spots.

Strutter769

I know this is an old post, but I'm researching the heck out of the Windicator now, as I'm picking up a 4" .357 next week. Other than the .25cal I was given before moving to the Northwoods of WI, this will be my first handgun. According to what I've read, it's a great beginner's piece, and for the price, I don't expect anything fancy (although at $411 NIB out the door, I'm starting to think I over-paid).

Unfortunately, I've also learned there are no laser grips or sights foe EAA. That's a bit of a bummer, especially for my wife. So, I'll get a bottle of Glow-On and do my best.

Any tips on painting the rear sights? They're smooth and don't have the "dimples" I've seen on other models that'd make painting a breeze. I'm also thinking of making the front and back sights contrasting colors. I think it'll make aiming just that much "easier." I am pretty bummed I can't get a laser for it.

Any update on the shooting, OP?

Gunz

I paid $240 at Gander a couple of years ago, new. I shot about 50 rounds of 38 special, and the 357 mag 158gr another 50 rds. Accuracy ok.

Then, one day, I dry fired the gun. The firing pin spring broke, and the hammer is down, but the pin does not go forward anymore. I know it is a simple spring, but I did not want to waste money or time sending it back to EAA yet. I have a paper weight. I may get back to it one day. For now, it can be one of those guns where you are not going to depend to save your life.:rolleyes: