lets talk about cheap single shots

2002gti

like the ones from rossi, NEF, H&R they are all around the $200 mark and the H&R can be had with a varmint h.b. can anyone comment on their fitment and accuracy? i was considering a bolt action .223 for cheap bench shooting but these budget shooters have caught my eye.

C. D. Beaver

Your post is right down my alley.

I bought an NEF Handi Rifle a year or so ago. Caliber, .45-70. Soon augmented with a .22 Hornet barrel.

I own several more expensive rifles, including a Ruger No. 1V, but none that is more fun to play with.

First thing I did with the .45-70 was buy a Leupold M8 4x scope for it. The gun rewarded me with five-shot groups of 1.25 inches and under at 100 yards off the bench. Not too shabby for a "cheap" gun. Haven't had a factory-loaded round in it yet.

The Hornet barrel, for all of 80-some bucks, was just as much a revelation. It gave me five-shot groups of around an inch, maybe a tad more or less, depending on the wind velocity. A Leupold VX-1 3-9 power scope added to the enjoyment. Another gun in my safe that has never tasted a factory load.

This rifle combination is not for those who like to boast of how much money they have wrapped up in their hobby. It's a downright el cheapo stick that shoots pretty darn good. My best bargain for the money invested.

Last edited:

RoyP

I couple of years ago I bought a nef with a heavy barrel in 223 as a combo pack(scope,rings,mount and hard case)for $259.With hand loads I was getting just under 1 1/2" at 200 yards.Took quite a few chucks with it while I had it.The only thing I didn't like about the nef was thier forearm,couldn't use a bipod without it hitting the barrel when it was folded up.

Selfdfenz

I will also cast a vote for the Handi-Rifle.
I too have the Hornet and it shoots my handloads very well.

My combo rifle is a HB 223 and a 45-70. Both shoot extremely well. I handload for the 45-70 as well. For an all around woods rifle in country where you might encounter a deer or wild hog or possibly a bear I would never feel undergunned with the 45-70 and some of my hi-octane handloads.

At the price, you can afford to experiment. Camo the thing if you like. Carve yourself a stock or forend or customize the ones that come on the rifle.

A lot of people will think cheap gun = cheap scope but they could not be more wrong in the case of the NEF. All mine are accurate enough to justify a very good scope indeed.

I can only hope the day will come they offer a 6.5X55 barrel. They started offering a 7-08 not too long ago so who knows. If they offered custom barreling, they could make nearly as much on the custom barrels as they do on the rifles.

BTW if yours comes with a heavy trigger I hear there are posts on the www that tell you how to modify the trigger for a better pull BUT since I have never done that to mine I can't verify the outcome or safety of doing such a thing. Just FYI.

Best,
S-

2002gti

so i guess nef is the way to go cheaply. heres my options and prices.

nef $204
h&r $242
rossi $167

ive read the rossi probably has the best trigger but no varmint barrel option.

C. D. Beaver

Here's another plus for the NEF option:

When you return your rifle to the factory to be fitted with another barrel, you can ask for--and receive--a trigger-refining procedure at no cost to you. Mine came back with a really suitable trigger pull.

farmboy

My NEF Ultra SB2 in .223 will put 3 shots inside a dime at 100 yards. Crows won't land ANYWHERE near my place anymore.

Now I gotta go find 'em. :D

Kaboom

I have two NEF's in 45/70 and .22. Both shoot very well. Had an H&R Buffalo Classic that also shot very well. Traded it for a Pedersoli Sharps replica that also shoots very well. Trying to decide what barrels I really should get. Thinking .280 in 26 inch and a 204 when they come out. Also have a Browning hi-wall in 7 rem mag but they aren't cheap. Do shoot thouth.

2002gti

i told my co-worker that im thinking of picking one up and he raised his nose like i was trying to throw chopped liver down his throat. do you guys that own nef's have quality pieces as well?, or is your other gun a rubber band? just want to know what kind of reviews im getting.

Selfdfenz

Well 2002 you asked about cheap ss and that was the answer you have been getting.

And yes I, for one, have several other rifles in several other calibers that cost considerably more that any of the HandiRifles I own. Actually more than all of them put together in more than one case.
Do I have to own more expensive rifles to be able to measure a one inch group from my Hornet or 223, or one a tad bigger from the 45-70?

Two guestions?
1.If you weren't going to believe us, why ask?
2.Does your friend actually own an SB-2 or is he just one of those guys that has all the answers?

If you won't be happy with an SB2 because your pal doesn't like them, that says more about you than it does the rifle don't you agree?

NFI

S-

2002gti

not a friend but a coworker/fellow shooter and yes he does always have the answer. he says their ugly but i like the way they look. i just wanted to make sure it wasnt going to be sawdust in my hands. thats why i ran it by him, just looking for more opinions before the purchase. i really dont see how you can beat it for a $200 gun. im having a vision of it sitting on the bench right beside the ar.

farmboy

And at 100 yards, my SB2 will smoke my AR.
Do you want to be a range pimp or hit your target?

Just a hint here, if you have finances on the brain:

It costs more to be a range pimp.

Spinner

I have seen one of the Baikals like those that EAA are importing to the US. The killer who came to deal with our cows the other day had one in 7.62x39 only he'd had his muzzle threaded and had a large can suppressor for it .... that way he can shoot cows without alarming the entire district.

I had the opportunity to have a quick look and to handle the little rifle once he worked out I was a gun nut and to be honest, I was impressed. The barrel has a very classy spiral fluting which makes it look very european. The wood looked good ... looked like walnut to me .... the blueing was very deep and the wood to metal fit looked very good. It wasn't a high dollar gun, and I guess that was obvious from a close inspection, but it certainly looked classy and was quite distinctive. You might be able to pass it off as an obscure high dollar european single from a distance or at a quick glance.

I didn't get a chance to shoot it, neither did he .... he shot both our 800lb+ cows with a Ruger 10/22 (range of about 3-5 yards). He told me that he bought it as a cheap centrefire rifle that could be easily suppressed and that he wouldn't feel too bad about it riding about in the truck and getting a bit beat up. He was actually really impressed with its accuracy and the quality of it.

If you're after an inexpensive single shot rifle, I'd say the Baikals/EAA might be worth closer inspection. They're perhaps not as adaptable as a NEF but they do come in a range of calibre choices from .222 to 45-70.

I'd certainly consider one seriously if I didn't have higher priorities on my gun buying list.

Brian Williams

Not a cheap Single Shot but beautiful
prod_1885-low-wall.jpg

I handled one of these the other day and other than ugly case hardening it was a great gun. A little long but still handle real nice. The Gun shop commandos laughed when I said that it would be a great 150 yard gun, in 45 colt.

I have an NEF SuperlightHandiRifle that I am going to get a 357, 22 hornet, and 45/70 barrels for because they are very accurate.

Selfdfenz

Fyi

My E-mail came back from EAA and they have yet to begin importation of the ss breakopen IZH 18 MH rifles to the US.
Government paperwork.
At 200$ or so they sound interesting. Not sure they have much to offer over the SB2 but possibly we will see one day.

S-

Spinner

I have no idea how the IZH 18 MH rifles compare price-wise with the NEF handi-rifle or comparable single shots, but I would suggest that they would be well worth checking out.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but here goes. From what I've seen (and this is only a very small sample of two) the handi-rifles are pretty much a club that shoots. I don't like the look or the feel of their stock, it looks better suited to paddling a boat than being attached to an accurate rifle. That being said, I understand that the handi-rifles are very accurate and a lot of people who buy them are very satisfied with their purchase.

On the other hand, the one Baikal I saw looked very pretty, very classy and was by the owners account very accurate and easy to shoot. The action looked like overkill for the 7.62x39 round .... it was a fairly solid lump of steel surrounding the chamber and the locking lugs looked formidable.

I would reccomend checking one out at some stage (when they become available) .... they look and sound like a reasonable alternative to a NEF, particularly if they are priced similarly ..... and if nothing else they're different.

Flambe away

Kaboom

2002gti, like I said I have two of them. Also the Browning hi-wall. Also have a Browning BAR. Wife has a 700 Remington titanium. You could buy seven or eight NEF's for what these cost with a good scope. Thing is they all serve their purpose and do a good job of shooting. One thing about single shots is they will make you a better shot. I take more time and do a better job of picking my shots.