Lets see your combat/SD rifles

nate45

Untitled-3.jpg

Above are the war weapons of an old, out of touch, has been, me.:)

At the top: is a DPMS Lite-16, with the fixed A2 sights. I keep 10 30 round magazines each loaded with 28, 70 grain Speer Semi Spitzers for it. They aren't an advanced design, but they work good on deer and hog meat. The wound channel is indistinguishable from a 90-100 .243 bullet. I've been meaning to upgrade to an LE 6920, but its a good performing weapon. It has a chrome lined bore, staked gas key, M4 feed ramps and has never malfunctioned yet. All internals are first rate and like new.Next down: Is my version of the M40, Its a Rem 700 BDL Varmint .308, with a Burris 3x9 Fullfield II, OD glass stock and Harris Bi-Pod. I have it sighted in dead on at 100 yds and the Ballistic Plex Reticle takes me out to 500, with no turret adjustment. I shoot sub-MOA, ten shot groups with it. Next: Is a Springfield M1, that was made in 4/44. It has a .308 Match Grade barrel on it and all parts are in top shape. Both it and my 700 are sighted in with 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips using the same load of 45 grains of Varget. The 700 is loaded with 6, the Garand 8 and I have another 88 in the web belt and 30 more clips loaded in an ammo can. Its a general purpose load that works good on meat and when I aim, I aim to hit meat. The 1911 has 21 rounds with it and the Ka-bar doesn't need a reload. :) Heres hoping I never need to use any of them, especially the .45 and the knife.

I know its a little old fashioned and I can't compete with Zak Smith and his Accuracy International .260, or a Patrol Ar with nice optics, but not too many regular(normal?) people want to take me on.

So now, lets see yours.

PawPaw

OP said:
I can't compete with Zak Smith and his Accuracy International .260, or a Patrol Ar with nice optics

My patrol rifle is a bone-stock Bushmaster A2 clone. Iron sights. If I can't hit it at 300 yards, I can certainly make it put its head down, and since the patrol rifle quals are only 50 yards, I'm at no disadvantage. Last year, I cleaned the course and the guys with nice optics had to struggle to keep up.

Never heard of Zak Smith until I just then did some googling. Evidently, he's the president of some outfit he calls Demigod LLC. He thinks he's a demi-god? Really? Okay, that's fine. I'm glad he owns a rifle.

You oughta see the .260 my sister-in-law shoots. She's 4-for-4 on deer with it and it'll be another year or two before she finishes that box of ammo. It's a fine rifle, her husband had it built for her. Rem 700 action, heavy Douglas stainless air-gauged barrel, pillar and glass bedded, it's a hoss. And she's deadly with it. Evidently, anyone can shoot a .260.

nate45

Nice shooting Pawpaw.

Well Zak can make consistent 1200-1400 yard hits and a good Patrol Rifle can make fairly precise head shots out to a hundred and beyond. Thats what I was referring to, sorry I wasn't clear. I could to, if I was set up for it, but I'm not. Since my 700 shoots sub-MOA groups, I could use it for a 25-100 yard head shot though.

netsecurity

Colt 6920LE with Knight's Armament M4 RAS II rail, and CompM4 (+ PMag, Hogue grip, Magpul ACR stock, Viking Tactics sling, Yankee Hill bayonet lug rail, Gripod):

:cool:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

stu925

I wouldn't call them self defense rifles although they could certainly fill the roll. They could however be accurately described as combat rifles:
DSCN2065_1.jpg

Yugoslav SKS

Mosin_11.jpg

Mosin Nagant 91/30

Stu

L_Killkenny

None of my guns are combat/SD guns. All my guns are combat/SD guns. Take your pic for I don't have any gun for combat/SD yet everyone of them can/could/will be for SD. Guess what you're looking for is not pictures of guns that could be combat/SD guns but instead ones that look the part? Are looks important? Can't help you there.

LK

nate45

L_Killkenny said:
None of my guns are combat/SD guns. All my guns are combat/SD guns. Take your pic for I don't have any gun for combat/SD yet everyone of them can/could/will be for SD. Guess what you're looking for is not pictures of guns that could be combat/SD guns but instead ones that look the part? Are looks important? Can't help you there.

LK

Its sort of like how I also have a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 .308 Featherweight, with an old 4x Redfield. It is sighted in with the same 150 grain Ballistic Tip load, I get 1 1/4-1 1/2" 100 yard groups with it. I wouldn't feel unarmed with it in my mitts.

However, I suppose looks do have something to do with it, but if some one has a Trapper 94 .44 Mag, Marlin 30-30, Rem 141, etc, etc, etc, that they feel is their go to SD rifle and wants to post it, they should feel free.

Chris_B

I was messing around a few years ago with modified fonts, in Photoshop. Kinda corny but I like the photo

I can't tell if my '44 M1 ever saw combat, but does this count, Nate?

still.jpg

stu925

Now see I took combat rifles to mean battle rifles, but now that you mention it I wouldn't feel out gunned with any of my centerfire rifles. Guess it makes sense then that in a pinch I'd grab the rifle I'm most familiar with which would be my deer rifle.

Stu

kraigwy

PawPaw wrote:

Never heard of Zak Smith until I just then did some googling. Evidently, he's the president of some outfit he calls Demigod LLC. He thinks he's a demi-god? Really?

Kind of un-called for since you don't know the man. He's probably wrote more articles on Long Range Shooting then you read.

I shot a Multi Gun Match he put on at Camp Gurnsey, not only can he write but he can shoot. Not just 4 by 4 on deer.

Maybe you should try a match shooting against him before you call him a "demi-god".

What's more, you'll fine few people more willing to pass on their knowledge to new shooters.

Last edited:

nate45

Chris_B said:
I was messing around a few years ago with modified fonts, in Photoshop. Kinda corny but I like the photo

I can't tell if my '44 M1 ever saw combat, but does this count, Nate?

Yes it counts very much, that old war horse is ready for anything. I like your old bayonet. Is that the 1905, or the 1917? Anyway its an 16, or 17" blade! I just have the WW2 M1 10" and no bayonet for my Winchester 1917 Enfield.(pictured below) :(

Untitled-4.jpg

I remember reading that a certain SSgt. Barry Sadler used an M1 in Viet Nam. He had his clips loaded with pure tracers and the other A-Team members were instructed to shoot right where his tracers went.

Below is a good M1 article that appeared in the May, 1982 S.W.A.T. Magazine by Chuck Taylor. I'm sure most regulars and Garand aficionados have read it, but its worth taking a look for those who haven't.

The M1 Garand Rifle
"The greatest battle implement ever devised."
-- General George S. Patton, Jr.

http://pattonhq.com/garand.html