Lets see 'em, sporterized military rifles (Pic heavy)

cornbush

Lets see your sporterized military rifles. Anything counts, foreign and domestic, homemade or gunsmith.

Here is my 7.7 Arisaka. Stock and metal work all done for me by my grandpa. Sights are off a Winchester model 70, barrel was done with a draw file by hand. The stock is a walnut blank I used to play with as a kid with zebra wood pistol grip cap and forend cap. He also made the floor plate release and modified the safety so it is actually useable. I just need to have it blued and decide if I want to scope it or leave it naked. I have several guns he has worked on but this one is my favorite.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Jap1.jpg
    Jap1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 11,800
  • Jap2.jpg
    Jap2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 11,702
  • Jap3.jpg
    Jap3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 11,599

Shorthair

Interesting, never have seen an Arisaka sporterized.
Here are mine, I did all the work on these 3...
1921 Carl Gustaf 1896 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 (of course)
swede2008.jpg

SwedishMauserdeer.jpg

VZ-24 in .35 Whelan
35whelansm2.jpg

SKS, ugly but it works.
deersks2.jpg

Scorch

Speaking of Spanich Mausers . . .
DSCN0479.jpg

1954 Spanish La Coruna Modelo 1943 action, barreled in 22-250 with a Richards Microfit AA Claro walnut stock, cocobolo forend and pistolgrip caps.

Gewehr98

I'm loathe to Bubba a good milsurp when it can be restored...

But some are found that are just too far gone. I take pity on finding such massacres, and those get rebuilt into something else for my gun safes.

I took over from Bubba and his hacksaw job with this 1917 Amberg Gewehr98. It's still in the original 8mm chambering, but I gave it a Bishop stock, Timney trigger, parkerizing, 700BDL iron sights, a welded bolt handle, Acraglas bedding, and a restored vintage Weaver V-8 external adjust scope:

ambergbenchweaverright.jpg

This derelict 1916 C.G. Haenel Gewehr98 action got magnafluxed and trued, then received a welded bolt handle, Canjar single-set trigger, Speedlock striker and spring assembly, Krieger No. 5 taper barrel, Vais muzzle brake, Fajen Ace Varminter stock, Devcon bedding, Millett scope base and rings, Weaver V-16 scope, parkerizing over matte bluing, and a custom wildcat chambering in 6.5-06. It's my 1000-yard rifle, and was featured in the September 1999 issue of Tactical Shooter magazine for hitting a golfball cold bore at 500 meters. It goes with me in my pine box when I take my dirt nap.

6.5-06matright.jpg

This is an Eddystone 1917 U.S. Enfield action, with an unknown make target barrel, Unertl scope and mounts, Dayton trigger, early Fajen laminated stock, and gorgeous bluing. It was assembled sometime in the late 1960s, from what I can find out. It's chambered for the wildcat .236 Super, which we'd know today as a 6mm-.270.

236super-1.jpg

OLNfan

Produces in 1938 Swedish Mauser m38 6.5x5.5mm wwii sniper issued 1941 other than my serial number I have the engravings of 946 on my bolt.
003-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

007.jpg

Iv always wonderd how or why IV got these knotches. Perhaps their kills in the great war, OR the deer some one got with their rifle who knows I like it though adds character!

swedishmuaser.jpg

this is what she would of looked like!

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

Interesting, never have seen an Arisaka sporterized.

It's an amazingly beautiful rifle. The pictures don't do it justice. (A little oil on the stock would help a bit too. It's been a while.) It's a shame our grandfather hated the Japanese so badly. He absolutely obliterated the intact mum on the rifle by bead-blasting and polishing.

As for my entry... I give you the FrankenMauser! Originally a Yugo 24/47 Mauser; it has seen many forms. (Only a few documented.)

.35 Whelen form:
attachment.php

This action suffered a terrible accident, and was compromised. To check it's suitability for safe usage near your face, we devised a plan....

Proof testing equipment: (ATF legal, since it's a bolt action.)
attachment.php

Back in 8x57JS form, with proof testing equipment:
attachment.php

Don't ask about the stock. It was an exercise in stupidity.

If you've never fired a weapon remotely, you've never lived! :D:D:D

Attachments

• inlet_halfsand2.JPG
    inlet_halfsand2.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 11,564
  • P_00283_2.JPG
    P_00283_2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 11,406
  • P_00284_2.JPG
    P_00284_2.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 11,338

chadwimc

Does this count? Modified to a "You better shoot straight, Tojo" model.

Attachments

• jap bastard.JPG
    jap bastard.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 643

JustKev55

Sporterized Mil

My Dad had an M-1 Carbine he had sporterized. Full length stock, beautiful wood. Decided he wanted to trade or sell it to get a different gun. I told him I'd buy it. His response was that I couldn't afford what he wanted for it. I wish I could find the guy that bought it from him.

Last edited:

eddyb74

Remington Arms Springfield '03-A3, built in March '44. This was my dad's backup rifle till I came of age to hunt. He gave it to me when I was 13, and found an unfinished stock at a gun show the next year. I refinished the stock and put this back in the safe about five years ago when I found a model 70 for a decent price.

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

cornbush

Gewher98.......... it did survive, we still shoot it. As for the "accident" frankenmauser will have to elaborate, I wasn't in on that mishap.:D

taylorce1

Springfield 1903 in .35 Whelen:
Picture016.jpg

Found this one on Gunbroker

Springfield 1903 in .338-06:
Picture012.jpg

Got this one from a local guy

VZ-24 in 8mm-06:
DSC_2240.jpg

Got this one in a bunch of pieces receiver had already been drilled and tapped and the barrel steps had been tapered. Too far gone to bring back to orginal so I went ahead and finished the sporter job. Found on Gunbroker.

Springfield 1896 30-40 Krag:
Picture011.jpg

Found in a local pawn shop.

I've got a Kimber M96 Sporter 6.5X55, and 1917 Sporter .300 H&H at the smith's still as well as a bubba M93 Mauser. I'm going to try and save the M93 someday, I'm hoping it will make a nice .250 or .300 Savage rifle I just haven't taken it in to see if the receiver is still good. I know I wouldn't shoot it now in the current state it is in.

Last edited:

Crankylove

Gewehr98: For the frankenmauser, a barrel was put on with improper tools, which allowed the reciever to become twisted to the point that the bolt would not close, the bolt locking lugs were out of alignment with the reciever. So, using a pipe wrench and a crash axe, the reciever was re-tweaked, back the opposite direction untill the bolt fully closed with no binding. It was then fitted with the remoted firing servos (ATF was consulted, and confirmed its legallity, and then laughed their butts off). When test firing, we started with some reduced power handloads and worked up thru hotter handloads, then some surplus, and finally some really hot (4+ grains over max) handloads, figuring it would either throw shrapnel all over, or hold together and we would feel safe shooting it if it held up thru all the test loads.

cornbush

These are some very nice rifles, I have a sweet spot for sporterized war horses. I think I just drooled on my keyboard.