Let's load some .380 Auto, whatcha say?

Yoosta B. Blue

My new dies are set to arrive here tomorrow. I'm not a rank beginner at reloading, but this will be my first time to reload these short 9mm rounds.

Are there any unique caveats or pitfalls I should watch for when loading .380? Thanks! :D

Yoosta B . Blue

All that comes to mind is to double-check your powder measure will throw the small charges accurately enough? My dad used to load these, and IIRC, he took a fired .25 ACP case found at the range, soldered a paperclip wire into the extractor groove to make a handle, then filed the case down to make a powder scoop tailored for the .380 charges. Was using Bullseye or 231, I believe?

Tuzo

My handgun reloads range from .44 Mag down to .380 Auto. Not much difference except in scale and the type of crimp. Loading .380 is nearly the same as loading 9mm.

I use an RCBS Little Dandy powder measure that is checked against a beam scale. The Little Dandy is fast and accurate with pistol powders. Have fun.

Yoosta B. Blue

Thanks for the replies. I don't foresee a problem with my powder thrower (a Lyman 55) being unable to throw small enough charges. I have three powders that I plan to test with the .380 loads, these being Unique, Bullseye, and 231. The charges will range from 3.0 gr to 3.9 gr and these numbers are in the range of what I'm used to loading other stuff with...

After I load a few and test them early next week, I'll swing back by here and post the results. Thanks again for the help. :D

Yoosta B. Blue

Stargazer

What pistol are you reloading for? I reload for an LCP and you got to watch seating depth closely and bullet style as well. On most LCP mags some rounds hang up down a couple of inches in the magazine and this lets the rounds go loose. I loaded some .355" Hornady XTP's, 90 grain which were really made for 9mm's. The bullet shape demanded they be seated with almost all of the bearing surface below the case line. This way they fed through the magazine just fine. They look like a slightly wider Critical Defense .380 round. Very cone shaped bullet that feeds well. So after seating (6) bullets try them out in your magazine to makes sure all is well.

robctwo

I ran a batch or two of .380 last year. Did some lead 96 gr and some 100 gr fmj. They all worked well in my Bersa and Beretta.

1/11/09 380acp 96 gr T&B RN 2.3 700x .98 OAL

1/12/09 380acp 96 gr T&B RN 2.5 700x .97 OAL

1/13/09 380acp 96 gr T&B RN 3.1 Universal .97 OAL

1/13/09 380acp 96 gr T&B RN 3.2 Universal .97 OAL

1/13/09 380acp 96 gr T&B RN 3.4 Universal .97 OAL

1/17/09 380acp 100 gr fmj 3.2 Universal .98 OAL

1/18/09 380acp 100 gr fmj 3.2 Universal .98 OAL

1/19/09 380acp 100 gr fmj 3.2 Universal .98 OAL

sixxgunnernick

I'm expecting my .380 dies and brass at the end of the week as well..can't wait. I'll be using rainier 95 grainers with titegroup..and a ruger lcp and kahr p380..using a dillon 550b. So I've been in a real good mood..I have some barnes tac/le at 80 grains they seem to really be 9m. they wouldn't cycle through my g-26 but cycled through my sub 2000??? They are just as long as my berrys 9m but just 80 grains so I figured thats why they didn't cycle. I just put 'em away and plan on sticking with fmj 95 grainers.

floydster

Suggestion:
Watch your fingers went loading those little guys, it hurts when they get in between the seating die and the shell plate!!:D

Nate1778

floydster said:
Suggestion:
Watch your fingers went loading those little guys, it hurts when they get in between the seating die and the shell plate!!

+1

and the little cases crush easy, you can tell when a 9mm doesn't feed into a die, a .380 comes out like a pancake.

Sevens

I've found good success with Berry's 100gr plated bullets and either Bullseye or Alliant Power Pistol.

I prefer the Power Pistol because I use a lot of it in other calibers and also because it's a heavier charge weight, which makes for more confident (consistent!) powder throws.

In Power Pistol, I use a 4.4gr charge (and hold 4.6 as a max load) with the Berry's 100gr, loaded to a COAL of 0.975".

With Bullseye, I use a 3.3gr charge (not sure of published max) with the same bullet and same COAL. It "feels" just a touch warmer, but not noticeably so.

These are launched from a Bersa Thunder.

chrisg

make sure you have a good tight fit on the case mouth....may have to polish down the expander button if fit is too loose, that is the only pain with this little case, it is hard to get bullets to fit snug all the way down the case.
c.g.