Let the 1911 build begin!

Just got the first few pieces for my new 1911 build. I picked up a Caspian series 70 slide with Mitchell LPA rear sight, Novak front sight, Ed Brown Bull Barrel, and Sprinco recoil reducing guide rod. Now I need to decide what to do for the receiver and parts. Will probably end up getting a Caspian receiver, altho I am also considering Wilson Combat and Fusion. Probably will settle on Wilson Combat receiver parts as well.

Any suggestions welcome!

caspianslide4.jpg

caspianslide2.jpg

caspianslide8.jpg

Last edited:

saltydog452

If you are thinking of a Caspan frame, why didn't you order the 'mated' slide/frame assy from Caspian?

No disrespect intended, just curious.

salty

totally valid question. that was my intention, but when the auction came up on GB to get everything i mentioned above for $315 (bought separately online without fitting and sight install - $646), i couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:

WVsig

If you are thinking of a Caspan frame, why didn't you order the 'mated' slide/frame assy from Caspian?

No disrespect intended, just curious

I agree... I think that unless you are experienced in mating a slide and frame the pre-mated kits are the way to go. If it were my first built I personally would have bought a slide, frame barrel & bushing kit... Those parts will require the most fitting in order to get and accurate functioning gun.

Good luck tell us how it goes....

will do! i'm pretty excited. i know i will probably make plenty of mistakes and end up ruining a bunch of parts, but hopefully i don't waste too much money on it. i just finished up my first trigger job on a colt over the weekend. i'll be taking that to the range within the next hour. praying it still fires (and only one at a time)!

well i have thrown out wilson combat as a supplier. their customer service department blows! at least the ones that answer the emails. "Tonya" in particular is terrible.

on the other hand, fusion has been wonderful.

right now, i'm leaning towards fusion. they will add various options and install them prior to shipment. one major bonus in particular, is that they told me they could do a bobtail. i've always really liked these. i'm really surprised that this hasn't become the norm for modern 1911's. it's just so much more comfortable.

bob has been great. i've been emailing him the past couple of days. i'm still trying to decide if i want to send in my barrel and slide to him to have him fit them to the frame. i don't think i would have too much trouble fitting the slide and frame, but i'm not familiar with 1911 barrel ramp cuts. are most frames cut to pretty much ramp right into the standard rampless 1911 barrels, or do they require a lot of custom cutting? i'm ok with filing a little, but i'm used to the polished ramps of other semiautos.

Don P

are most frames cut to pretty much ramp right into the standard rampless 1911 barrels, or do they require a lot of custom cutting? i'm ok with filing a little, but i'm used to the polished ramps of other semiautos.

Ramp should be cut. If not you WILL need a milling machine. IIRR you can get a frame either uncut or cut with regards to ramp.

thanks. i do need to get some books. i have already done a rework on the trigger/sear/hammer assembly on my other 1911, so i get the jist of fitting parts. it's modifications to the frame and slide that i'm not familiar with.

FYI FOR THOSE PURCHASING THE BOOK MENTIONED ABOVE - CHEAPER ON MIDWAYUSA.COM

Last edited:
as far as being ready or not, i'm completely ready to make as many mistakes necessary this time to be flawless next time. being my first build, i fully expect to make a lot of mistakes. i'm asking questions here to avoid as many of the easily avoidable ones as possible.

i've decided not to go with the vbob on this build since it will be a government size. on an officer or commander, i prob would, but it's a big up charge. i have been pricing out my frame and frame components, and my cost ends up between $620 and $890 depending on options. the $620 is a plain old carbon steel frame with a chainlink front strap and all of the parts. the $890 is a forged alloy frame with a tungsten carbide finish. this cost pretty much covers everything but the grips and mags. i figure another $150 for those plus the $315 for my slide and barrel parts, and i'm sitting between $1085 and $1355. not terrible for my first custom build. i won't be purchasing any frame parts til after the holidays, so i will be watching gb for some kind of a steal like i got on my barrel and slide. save for that, i will be putting in an order to fusion in january.