Lesson learned

Fla_dogman

Hello from N Fla, new to the board and thought I would start off with a brain fart I had. I had been using a collet neck sizing die for my .243 and changed to a full sizing die when a friend gave me a pile of he old brass. Here's the problem. I set up the new die on my brass, so when I cycled the rounds the they worked fine. But after loading several of the new used brass they didn't cycle. So I became best friends with my bullet puller and started over. Where's my sign?[emoji38]

Blindstitch

I guess i'm missing something. Has anything changed besides the die? Is the length the same as the previous loaded ammo you were using. And were you cycling the ammo in only one gun?

Fla_dogman

I used casings from my rifle to set up the full length die so they didn't require a complete resizing to cycle so I didn't have the die set low enough to resize the case fully so when I used casings fired from another rifle which requires a full resize to cycle they didn't work. So screwing the die in further the problem was fixed, unfortunately I discovered the issue after 50 rounds

Mauser69

FL Dies Also Do Neck Sizing Only

Just to clarify for some - lots of relatively new reloaders these days seem to think you need some special die for just neck resizing - 'tain't so. FL dies do perfect neck sizing only when adjusted just a little high - seems like the OP already knows that now, but many do not. Back in the 70s the die instructions and loading manuals all discussed this.

I'm not sure why companies decided they needed to start making special neck sizing dies, but IMO it seems like just a way to sucker more money out of new reloaders. There may be some special needs they meet, but most of us do not and never will need them.

849ACSO

Agreed. I bought one neck sizing die once. It didn't size the neck enough for decent neck tension. As I did before, now I use full length dies screwed out to only size the neck. Some of them size a portion of the case that way, but not enough to call it FL.