Lesson Learned

brj

A recent thread brings this story to light. Feel free to share your own experiences.

When I was a kid I once spent the weekend at my uncle Bill's farm in Ohio. Bill had two sons who were roughly my age, maybe 8-11 years old. I wasn't raised around firearms but my two cousins were farm boys and hunters and were introduced to firearms at an early age.

We were goofing around in the basement and one of the boys had put on a Superman costume, maybe it was around Halloween. The other boy just pointed an air rifle at him, didn't pull the trigger, just pointed it at him. The idea was that the Superman costume would deflect bullets, like the tv show. Boys being boys.

What they didn't count on was my uncle Bill walking in at that exact moment. My uncle Bill, one of the kindest and gentlest men I ever knew, went ballistic. He wore both of those boys out with the belt, because they should have known better than to ever point any kind of weapon at anyone as a joke, and he had taught them better than that. And he was right.

It's funny how you remember things. That was over forty years ago and I have never forgotten that lesson. It's sad though. I never told my uncle Bill what an impression this little incident made on me. He never knew that years later I would develop an interest in firearms and would relay this story to my own son as we shared range time together. Uncle Bill passed away last week at the age of 78 but what I learned from him lives on.

Rest in Peace, Bill.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I'm sorry to hear of your uncle's passing, brj. :(

It sounds like he made quite an impression on you and it is good that you are letting that be passed on to the next generations. Keep the spirit alive! :)

P99AS9

Very sorry to hear about your uncle's death. It sounds like he was a great guy and a very responsible man. I'm glade people like brj have figures in their life that teach them safe gun control.

44 AMP

Staff
Thanks for the story

About the old school that many of us grew up in. If we still did things that way today, our world would be a more comfortable place. Sorry to hear of your loss, my condolences. It is a good thing what you learned from him, and that the lessons live on.

Gbro

My condolences also,
Shock works just as well to those that can place there bare skin under that belt, as for the skin owner. I remember getting whomped with a belt and the rest of my brothers got to watch:eek:, Of course there were a few times I got to be a spectator:D
One I have used that I learned from a very good friend;
Send the offender out to find a fitting stick, And if it isn't suitable, i/u get to be the one to pick one out.

My daughters look at things differently, One time the oldest grandson left his BB gun outside overnight. She found out and grounded him for 2 weeks!
That kid was devastated, two weeks of misery, We all got to be a part of that 2 weeks.
Me I like to get it over with and go on from there. And let them know that you love them just as much after as before the incident.

ZeSpectre

When I was a kid and first showed interest in guns my dad took me outside and put a hunk of half frozen ham and a watermellon up on fenceposts and shot them both with a .45 with the spectacular results you can imagine.

He then made the point "that's what will happen to anything you hit with this, a critter, your dog Lefty, anything" and he went on to make sure I knew the difference between toys that looked like guns, playing "cops n' robbers" and handling a real firearm.

Some impressions you just don't forget. I think the mental image of my dog going POOF if I was careless did more for me regarding gun safety than anything else.