Less controversial poster

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Less contraversial poster

herrights_s.jpg

hi-res

Trying to make the religion/cultural background issue incidental to the general issue of Constitutional rights.

CarbineKid

I've always admired you work

But don't you think that could be used as a reason against the 2nd. I know Im going to get flamed here......
I understand your point, but most americans are stupid. I'm not sure how to say this, but I hope this helps....
If it was 1942 or 43 would you make a poster with a white german looking male in nazi dress holding a mauser, or a sub gun?? No offense but I think having a person dressed up in muslim dress carying an AK is self defeating, ESPECIALLY after 9/11. There are some who would say that the second admendment could be used to arm terrorists...and therefore new laws must be passed to ensure that therse "terrorists" can not have such weapons...

Marko Kloos

"We just don't want to see any ragheads with guns!"

I don't care whether my neighbor wears a burqa or an SS parade uniform, and I don't care whether my neighbor has an MG42 on his porch, which he cleans while listening to Hitler speeches, as long as he does not use it to cause me or someone else harm.

Freedom of speech is best tested (and most beneficially exercised) with controversial speech, because popular speech needs no First Amendment protection. No spirited discourse will come from pictures of teddy bears wrapped in Old Glory. If the above image ruffles some feathers, that's a good thing. If anything, it helps determine who truly believes in constitutional principles, and who doesn't.

Besides, there's a difference between "religious garb", and "enemy uniforms". You'll note that the September 11 terrorists didn't wear any religious or ethnic dress, in order to not arouse undue attention. It probably takes a lot of religious conviction to wear Muslim dress these days, in a society where simpletons strain to find an easy visual indentifier of "the enemy", and end up shooting turbaned Sikhs in gas stations.

Of course, that could be vastly simplified by making all Muslims wear an identifying mark sewn on their clothing, so we can easily spot them even in Western dress.

:barf:

Steve Smith

"There are some who would say that the second admendment could be used to arm terrorists...and therefore new laws must be passed to ensure that therse "terrorists" can not have such weapons..."

Now that's funny. I imagine they'd spend the $150 in their home country and bring it over rather than going through NICS and the ATF here and spend $3K+ for an AK.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Someone better keep an eye on that Mas Ayoob guy. He owns lotsa guns and don't look 'Murrican... ;)

I mean, hell's bells, he's a male of Arabic descent who owns a buttload of guns. :eek: We should just go 'head an' lock him up for the duration!

Question: If it had been, say, Black Panthers who commandeered those planes on 9/11, would we all be looking askance at the Secretary of State?

As far as "preventive profiling" goes, we could eliminate workplace shootings by confiscating guns from white males between the ages of 20 and 50. We could also stop abortion clinic bombings by keeping a better eye on Christians.

glock glockler

The issue here that no one seems to be addressing is that the conflict this picture seems to invoke is not one of religion but one of culture. The title of the book "McWorld v. Jihad" is quite appropriate, although the cultural conflict in the world is not bipolar (ex. French v American).

It basically boils down to one question: whose team are you on? Are you on my team (American) or are you a member of the enemy's team (Osama Jihad)?

The answer to that is rather difficult to ascertain, and people do judge others on how they look. Why is that woman wearing that garb? The Muslim religion requires no such dress, the reason is cultural in nature, and is that culture in conflict with our own?

People are going to be extremely agitated when they see people dressed like that and will probably react aggressively, but that doesn't make it right or just.

Personally, I think it is very foolish to go walking around middle America these days while dressed like that.

ojibweindian

An American is an American. I don't give a damn how they look. As long as they believe in the ideals expressed in the Declaration of Independence and Constitution, then that's fine with me.

Hell, there are a lot of "Americans", born in this great country, that don't give two plugged nickels care about it. For what it's worth, I'd gladly take in anyone, from any country, who is willing to live up to the principles of hard work, honesty, integrity, and duty and gladly call them "neighbor and friend".

iso1

Didn't VPC and the Brady Bunch already say the Second Amendment and the "Gun-Show Loophole" arm terrorists?

joeislove

The answer to that is rather difficult to ascertain, and people do judge others on how they look. Why is that woman wearing that garb? The Muslim religion requires no such dress, the reason is cultural in nature, and is that culture in conflict with our own?

...because she's an American and she has the right to express herself however she sees fit? Seems like a good enough reason to me.

Why do people of Scottish ancestry wear kilts? It's not exactly the American culture, after all.

The point, as I see it, is that everyone and anyone has the right to defend themselves. The unfortunate fact is that after 9/11 there were a lot of bigoted hotheads who went out and made trouble for a lot of people who "looked Arabic" (the Sikh who was murdered in the gas station has already been mentioned).

Should Sikhs stop wearing turbans and robes because a few rednecks can't tell one furriner from another? I don't think so. I'm not gonna stop wearing combat boots just because they're the preferred footwear of skinheads.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The point, as I see it, is that everyone and anyone has the right to defend themselves. The unfortunate fact is that after 9/11 there were a lot of bigoted hotheads who went out and made trouble for a lot of people who "looked Arabic" (the Sikh who was murdered in the gas station has already been mentioned).

Let's not forget that the bookstore owned by the husband of the woman in the picture was vandalized after 9/11.

Let me repeat that: his property was damaged solely because of his religion/ethnicity by people who were mad about terrorism.

There's one for the irony department, eh? Committing terroristic acts against an innocent person to show your hatred of terrorism.

Kaylee

cool poster!
(good choice of rifle to.. American classic.. :D)

I do wonder if a slightly more arabic-looking woman might get your point across better, but that's a little nitpick. I think my favorite along these lines you've done was the woman and child a week or so ago. "I got a family to, and don't want no trouble" or somesuch.

goodonya Oleg..

-K

Justin

Oleg-
I have to say, I like it, especially in the wake of 911 you're making a very bold statement.
And ultimately, I believe that it is the correct one; that all Americans, regardless of their background or ethnicity, are entitled to basic individual rights.