Leopold scope experience?

I am looking into a Leopold VX Freedom rifle scope to keep on my Mauser 25-06. Does anyone use one? Optical performance in low light conditions? Any fogging? Any other decent scopes in the $250-$300 range? (NOT Vortex!)

Paul B.

I'm rather fond of the Burris Fullfield II. Been running them on several rifles including a .35 Whelen and .300 Win. Mag. They're held up quite well.
Paul B.

jmr40

Decent scope.

Better scope for less money.

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fullf...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

IMO Leupold is rarely a BAD choice. But the VX Freedom line is their lowest end scope. You will probably never have a problem with it and if you do Leupold has great CS and will make it right.

But to my eyes I can never get a Leupold to focus as clearly as many others. The adjustments are mushy and they do not track well. If you zero and leave it alone they rarely lose zero though.

I just like THIS Burris better. Not as big a fan of some of the other Burris scopes. These have a reputation for being every bit as rugged as a Leupold and I like the reticle better. The biggest thing is that I can easily focus it to my eyes.

I think it is a better scope. The $100 more for a Leupold is to pay for the great CS.

RC20

But to my eyes I can never get a Leopold to focus as clearly as many others. The adjustments are mushy and they do not track well. If you zero and leave it alone they rarely lose zero though.

The only Leopold that worked for me were the Redfield model with the thick hunting cross hairs.

The Leupold quality is there, just my eyes have issues with them.

I am working on getting a DOT into one and see how that does. I have a Rimfire and another one that were ok to start with but as the eyes changed no.

I could not even use the old Leupolds as of 10 years ago.

Currently my best scopes are a Nighforce and an older Cabella Alaska of all things I use for target shooting.

HiBC

The light your eyes use to see with was reflected off your target however far away it is.
With lower light conditions a larger objective lens will have more light hit it.
The lens (lenses) will then focus that light down to a spot targeted to your eye pupil. You want the lenses to do that accurately and efficiently.

A high magnification scope with a small objective lens will not be good in low light. That is true for all brands and its about what you choose.

That light you have to work with can be wasted to surface reflections. Lens coatings matter. Leupold does fine with coatings. So do others.

Fogging? Yes,the scope needs to be well sealed with dry nitrogen...but you need to avoid keeping the rifle inside a warm environment then stepping out in the cold. Or getting the glass very cold then stepping into the warm and humid.

Scope consruction....I have my opinions, others may disagee. Thats OK.

I avoid variables where the whole eyepiece turns to change power. I prefer a ring with a locked eyepiece,

I've had rotating eyepieces develop wobble. Probably from being bumped. Some of this stuff is assembled with super glue. It can crack loose.

I might be wrong,but I have more faith in non rotating eyepieces to change power.(Regardless of brand)

I have confidence in Leupold. More than once I have purchased another $200 to $300 scope (non Leupold) and I end up replacing it.

So far,My Leupolds have been keepers. Disclosure, my Leupolds have been M-8 or VX3 or better. I don't have experience with lower lines.

natman

Over many years of gun horse trading I've owned a few dozen Leupold scopes, many well used.

Leupold has an excellent repair policy. Or so I hear, because I've never had to use it because none of the scopes ever had a problem.

Caveat: I've never had one of the Freedom line, so I can't comment on it.

FrankenMauser

I do not own a VX Freedom, but have looked at half a dozen.
They seem to be about equal to, possibly a bit better than, the Redfield Revolution (made by Leupold).

I have had no performance issues with my Revolutions (4, 5? of them).
And the VX Freedom is supposed to have better coatings.
I wouldn't worry about one. You even have an advantage with the Leupold. It has a lifetime guarantee. If it ever needs repair but they cannot fix it (or don't want to), they will give you the current equivalent replacement. Which is always an upgrade, unless it requires changing finish to something you don't like.

(Like sending in a glossy blue, or a matte silver scope, and only being able to have it replaced with matte black. But that shouldn't be an issue with current availability, since they aren't making anything but matte black.)

Koda94

I am looking into a Leopold VX Freedom rifle scope to keep on my Mauser 25-06. Does anyone use one? Optical performance in low light conditions? Any fogging? Any other decent scopes in the $250-$300 range? (NOT Vortex!)

I have a VXR and use it every deer season for years now. Low light conditions are good and no fogging issues any different than my high end scopes. For the price range your looking at it will be a great scope that will last forever.

rc

I've had a VX2 4-14 for several years that came on a used Ruger 77. The scope is a nice one but I don't like the lack of clicks when adjusting. Is that typical of Leupold scopes?

bamaranger

LPV

I put a Leupold New Freedom 1.5-4x on a Ruger Predator .308 (the short one) and am well satisfied. So much so that if I can find another one at a fair price, I will mount that one on my Mossberg turkey shotgun.

I'll add I have somewhere around a dozen older scopes, mostly M8's and Vari-X II's and have never had a lick of trouble with any of them. Most recently, I (stupidly) lost a turret cap on an older M8. A phone call to Leupold.....and one is on the way as a replacement....free of charge.

Big fan.