LEO & Military 45 acp / 45 GAP

Noreaster

The 45 acp is making a come back on the Law Enforcement market here in the N/E, (M&P 45, PX4 and 45 GAP.) There are rumors of the 45 GAP making a big push for LE market and the military is an showing interest in it. Has anyone heard something concrete on this? If the GAP is finally coming around I'd like to buy a G37 before the price goes up.

scottl

The 45 acp is making a come back on the Law Enforcement market here in the N/E, (M&P 45, PX4 and 45 GAP.)
You do know the ACP and GAP are two different non-interchangable rounds right?While they ACP might be regaining some ground on 9MM and 40 cal,I don't think the GAP would be.There's only a handful of models that have a GAP chambering.

Alexander

There are also rumors that Elvis and Bin Laden still walk the earth. Nobody's adopting the GAP. It has a much better chance of going extinct than becoming popular.

Noreaster

I know the GAP and ACP are different. M&P are really pushing the 45 acp and numerous agencies, State & Local, have adopted it in MASS and NH SP. A couple of Depts. have bought the PX4 in 45 acp. On the other hand the GAP has also been adopted by a couple of big agencies and now I've heard that Glock is really pushing the GAP and someone in the DOD showed interest. Probably in response to the M&P 45 acp market. Nothing concrete on the military showing interest, just wanted to know if anyone else had heard something. I thought the GAP looked interesting when it came out but I never thought it would catch on.

On a side note I've been a 357 sig guy for the last ten years (Dept. issued) but recently I've gone back to the 9mm for my own use do to cost and less muzzle blast and decibels.

WC145

Have any depts anywhere gone to the GAP in the last couple of years? None that I'm aware of, and the ones that picked it up when it first came out will end up switching to a .40 or a .45acp when it's time to replace those guns. When Glock was practically giving the pistols away over the last 1-2 years it was obvious that the GAP was fading. You could buy them brand new from Bud's for $379!

ClydeFrog

Glock Florida Highway Patrol .45GAP...

Glock has picked up a few US law enforcement contracts with the .45GAP models but it's not as big as the .357sig, .40S&W or the 10mm.
The Florida Highway Patrol started using the .45GAP. In press & media releases, the troopers said it was a cost, training & service(parts) issue.
Glock offered to wheel & deal and the FHP signed up. The PA State Police & New York state troopers carry .45GAPs too.

To my limited understanding a few small PDs T&Eed the Glock .45GAP pistols and said El Paso. ;)

I'd lean more towards a .357sig or the older .45acp myself for LE patrol use.

Boats

The only adoptions of 45GAP have been sucker agencies spending other people's money.

Since it was the answer to a question no one asked, the GAP could not win an objective pistol trial against the original recipe.

jmr40

A few police dept's have adopted the 45 GAP. I suspect that when it comes time to replace those weapons they will come to their senses and get something better.

thinktwice

More L.E. Agency's seem to be interested in switching to the 45 ACP, but I can tell you now the GAP is on it's way out with the few Agency's that are using them.

Don Glock

There are rumors of the 45 GAP making a big push for LE market and the military is an showing interest in it. Has anyone heard something concrete on this?

just a silly rumor no doubt spawned by the few GAP fans out there lol. there was a rumor a few years ago that the marines bought thousands of GAP glocks, obviously turned out to be untrue.

the only one pushing GAP on LE is glock. some of the dept's that adopted GAP have since dropped it due to cost/lack of availability of ammo. there's a very short list of local dept's that actually still issue it. this cartridge has had more than enough years to get off the ground, and it hasn't. there's only about 3 brands of jhp's available for it, and one performs so bad it's not recommended for duty use (gold dot 200gr jhp).

the military did announce trials for a hi-cap polymer 45acp a few years ago, and glock came out with the picatinny rail g21 model for that. however, those trials were cancelled before they had a chance to begin.

DBLAction454

to me the .45GAP is like taking the invention of the wheel and putting a big dent in it and saying "LOOK ITS BETTER!!"

There is nothing wrong with the .45ACP and I seriously doubt the .45GAP is gonna make any larger of a "splash" than it already has...

reminds me of the glock gen4's an how people are having issues with them....if it isnt broken then dont fix it!

Sulaco2

My own dept just authorized single action .45 ACP's and have allowed Glock/Sig .45 ACP for couple of decades. This was a major change by the firearms board and the GAP was mentioned but never even brought up for discussion. Don''t think it ever will. It is not well thought of by the SWAT members who dominate the board. Good or bad I think this round is on the way out.

Noreaster

Funny thing with LEO in my area. One of two things are happening. They are switching from 40S&W or 357 sig to 9mm because of ammo cost, or some - allot - of the PDs have been switching to 45acp. One is based on price and the other is based on performance. I've never seen so many PDs issuing 45 acp before, not a bad thing at all!

GONIF

THE 45GAP IS AS DEAD AS DISCO . It fades away more and more every day . In 5 years you will have a very hard time getting ammo or brass .

Noreaster said:
I know the GAP and ACP are different. M&P are really pushing the 45 acp and numerous agencies, State & Local, have adopted it in MASS and NH SP. A couple of Depts. have bought the PX4 in 45 acp. On the other hand the GAP has also been adopted by a couple of big agencies and now I've heard that Glock is really pushing the GAP and someone in the DOD showed interest.
Of course Glock is pushing it. They invented it, because without it they don't have a .45 caliber pistol that people with normal size hands can hold and shoot. But I'd like to see some verification about all these major agencies you claim are adopting it. I haven't heard of any department or agency that's even remotely interested. The U.S. military? Extremely unlikely.

Forget the .45 GAP. It was an answer to a question nobody asked.

Noreaster

There a three or four State Police agencies that adopted the 45 GAP. When I wrote about many agencies in my area adopting the 45 it's the 45 acp. NH SP, now MASS SP, Worcester PD and numerous small to mid size towns around me. Mostly all M&P 45 (which S&W is pushing.) Also the 45 acp is catching on in NY where several cities and towns switched to PX4 or M&P. When my agency tested the M&P we wanted to try the 40 S&W and the Smith LEO rep. practically pushed the M&P 45 down our throat and we ended up getting a couple of each for T/E. I mentioned the GAP in the OP because I've heard that Glock was pushing them and someone in DOD took an interest in the GAP. Interesting note for civilians in MASS is the M&P is legal but Glocks are not compliant and cannot be sold to none LEO.

The GAP is a step backwards from the already 100year old plus ACP;
no +P loads
no .45super
higher pressure
less velocity (marginal, until you test them in 5" barrels)
expensive-er than ACP, which is already unacceptable
and it's the new .45 Glock Aspiring to be Ponies:p