Length, Width

Poll: What was the determining factor in the purchase of you CCW size wise?

• Length

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Width

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • Length & Width

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • None of above

Votes: 38 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

azredhawk44

Width is mostly more important than length for me.

Obviously 8" barrels are a no go, but I don't see a big difference between a 2" revolver and a 4" revolver for concealability. The main focus for me is the width of the cylinder.

In autos, the width of the slide and the height of the grip are the two main focal points for me. That, and I find that striker-fired systems are more blocky and harder to conceal than hammer-fired systems. With a strong-side IWB carry, they tend to advertise at your beltline that you are carrying. Only times I carry an auto are when wearing a jacket.

steelheart

I was more concerned with the size of the hole in the end of the barrel than the size of the pistol.:D

That's whay all my CCW guns are .45ACP with one exception - my Tarus .44 special snubbie.

j1132s

All things being equal, its length & width. But I'd rather pack something thinner and longer, then widers and shorter.

KyJim

You have to factor weight in as well. My Kimber Ultra Carry is considerably heavier than my S&W snubby airweight. I find myself carrying the snubby more often than not.

j1132s

KyJim,

I used to not think too much about weight because I used an IWB holster, which seem to mask weigth pretty well. However, you are absolutely right that weight matters; expecially now that I'm used to pocket carry.

WESHOOT2

all my handguns are carried handguns

But my 'always' can be worn when I'm in a bathing suit......

Some might say "size of the hole in front", ay?

Not me.

Ozzieman

Good question

For myself the most important factor is FIT. If is doesn’t fit my hand nothing else matters.
I purchased a Glock 26 for my wife and when we both tried the feel of the gun nether of us liked it. That is until tried it with the mag extensions, It only added to the front of the mag but gave the gun the feel of a much larger gun and over all MUCH better control.
One of the nicest guns that fit my hand was the Walther PPKs, the fit and size was great,,, until you fired the little thing. The bottom rear of the slide would hit the web of my hand, not very hard and for only having to fire a mag full was no problem. BUT try a box of 380’s and I was bleeding.
Working in a gun store over the years I have seen way to many people buying guns on a whim. Guns that they don’t try out or consider the reason there buying them first. I would like to say that I have never bought a gun that way but your all to smart for that and I think that if you have purchased ½ as many guns that I have over the years you would have to say the same thing.
For CCW small is great but if you cant hit the right side of a barn from the inside or cant get the second round off quickly, what good is small.
For me the Glock 26 is almost perfect (just wish it had a manual safety).
And for a revolver the Tarrus 445 in 44 special works.

kjdoski

Grip length, or overall height, is the most important factor for me. After that, width, then overall length, then weight. My reasoning is this: in a decent holster, the only thing that can "print" on your covering garment is the grip. The longer and wider the grip, the more it will print. Overall length is only important in OWB holsters, but most of my covering garments will conceal an OWB holster for a P226 as well as for a PM9...

Regards,

Kevin

Easy E

Carry what you can shoot well.

Can I shoot it accurately and quickly? Is it a reliable, well made weapon? Do I have confidence in the caliber?
Get the answer to these questions, then match it to a WELL MADE belt and holster.
I think that's where a lot of people "blow it". They'll drop $500+ on a carry gun then stick it in a $10 holster on a Walmart dress belt. 1911s, Glocks, Berettas, Large frame revolvers... can all be effectively concealed with a quality carry rig.