Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos Failure

Zen Archery

Been trying to chase down a coyote/varmint friendly bullet for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Some have told me to give up the search because its just too much gun for a coyote/varmint.

Had super high expectations for this bullet.
Lesson on function over form.
One of the most accurate bullets I've loaded to date. Will make a great target round with its boat tale design and high B.C.
Too bad it doesn't perform as I expected.

Click Here For Video.

05K5PRBl.jpg

603Country

When you say “coyote friendly”, do you mean “fur friendly”? If so, good luck. I have a 260 and shoot 100 gr Nosler BTs for varmints, but fur friendly it isn’t. A mono metal is probably a good choice, but which one? I think I’d call the bullet makers and get their recommendations.

I wonder if you could find and buy some pulled FMJ military bullets, if they are the proper diameter (Italian, Japanese, Swedish, etc.).

And maybe a Nosler Partition wouldn’t be too messy.

Tallest

I don’t think mono metal (except maybe cast lead...?) are a safe bet with coyotes, especially in quarter bore and larger bullets. In my experience, you have the exact same thing as in this video.

Real world example: 2 weekends ago a buddy and were in a local coyote tournament. He had an ATN on a 223 AR loaded with Barnes 55 grn. TTSXs. Over the course of the night, 11 were called in and 4 were shot with that weapon. His hits seemed solid, the yelps were confirming, we found lots of blood. But after extensive searching, no bodies were recovered.

I really think coyotes are too soft for solid bullets. The amount of blood seemed indicative of exit wounds. But not enough damage to knock them down and keep them there.

On the other hand, I had excellent success with 55 grain vmax. Duh, right?! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmorris

I can’t say I have ever shot a coyote with a friendly bullet, a 35 grain vmax out of a 22 Hornet will kill themjust as dead as a .22 long rifle. Not much “smaller” centerfire rounds as the hornet, if you want to be friendly to them start raising chickens instead of shooting at them.

mkl

The two experiences I've had with solid bullets have not been optimal.

Shot a big west Texas jack rabbit with a military 30-06 FMJ and watched him run 50 yards before he fell over. Bullet went through center of body and did not even knock him over when it hit.

For some reason I decided that a FMJ from my .243 Win. would be a good turkey load (legal here in Texas). Bullet hit at the top of his thigh bone and the bone turned into shrapnel that almost totally destroyed the bird. All I got out of that bird was the top of his breast. Have now switched to .22 Hornet JSP when turkey is out of shotgun range.

One of these days I want to try a military 55 grain FMJ out of my Colt SP1 on a coyote and see if the slow twist really does cause the bullet to tumble on impact. Reports on that tumbling effect seem to really vary.

Last edited: