Legally loaded

Bob Thompson

Legaly loaded

While researching CCW laws in various states for an upcomming trip across country I found the states that acknowledge my home states CCW permit. The problem involves states that do not. I know that by research I will have to abide by each states current laws concerning carry in a vehical. My plan is to have a weapon available close by in the vehical which brings me to my point. The critical point seems to be what is deemed to be a loaded weapon concealed or not. Here in Utah a weapon is deemed to be unloaded if there is no cartridge in the firing position and it takes at least two actions to fire; i.e. two pulls on the trigger of a revolver or racking the slide and pulling the trigger on an autoloader. I would like to know YOUR states LEGAL definition of what is considerd loaded vrs unloaded condition. Thanks much for your input. Bob

Sam Adams

I don't know the legal definition of a "loaded" firearm in TX, but I can tell you that having an unlocked gun in the passenger compartment is considered "carrying" in Texas. I believe that TX and UT have reciprocity, so this shouldn't be a problem here, but in those states that don't, I'd suggest locking the gun in the trunk of your car (or in a locked case if it is a hatchback or you insist upon carrying it in the passenger compartment). I'd also bet that most states consider a gun loaded if any cylinder of a revolver is loaded, and if the magazine has any ammo in it and it is also in the gun.

jmlv

i AM NOT TOO SURE ABOUT MY NEW STATE OF pa BUT IN NJ

A LOADED SPEEDLOADER OR MAGAZINE ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME AS A LOADED GUN. ALSO ANY MAGAZINE WHICH HOLDS MORE THAN 15 ROUNDS MERE POSSISION IS A FELONY.

Mikul

In PA, a gun is considered loaded if a full magazine or speedloader is in the same compartment as the gun. A full magazine in the front pocket of a bag and an empty gun in the main compartment of the same bag is not considered loaded.

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
In Georgia, a pistol may be loaded and carried in the glove box, console or in open view. In SC, it may be carried in the glove box or the console but not in open view. Both without a carry permit.

In Georgia, with a carry permit, including reciprocal carry permits, you may carry the pistol in the car in any manner you choose.

I'm not sure about the same in SC.