Legality of manufacturing your own 1911

sigshepardo

Is it legal to manufacture your own 1911 frame and slide in your own shop? Then assembling the rest of the pistol with U.S. made parts?

James K

Member In Memoriam
As far as federal law is concerned, nothing at all if you are making it for your own use. BATFE does recommend that you put on some kind of serial number, like your initials and the number 1, but there is no law requiring that.

If you make the gun with the intent to sell/transfer it, or are going into the business of making guns, then you need a manufacturer's license.

Jim

Rifleman1776

I have a friend that has made two 1911s. He made every part. One has standard sights, the other target sights. They are beautiful, I would like to have them.

Surgeon

If you have the right licenses, then no.

If you do not have a Class 7 firearms license then the answer would most undoubtedly be, yes, very illegal.

guncrank

I have a friend that has made two 1911s. He made every part. One has standard sights, the other target sights. They are beautiful, I would like to have them.

Cool but sadly he could not even gift them to you.

So long as its for oneself and does not enter into the stream of commerce, yes, it is legal to build one from scratch.

ScottRiqui

Cool but sadly he could not even gift them to you.

I don't believe that's the case. While a nonlicensee cannot manufacture firearms expressly for sale, The ATF makes allowances for the later transfer of a firearm built by a nonlicensee.

This thread on another site has the text of a letter to the ATF on the topic, as well as the ATF's response.

So long as its for oneself and does not enter into the stream of commerce, yes, it is legal to build one from scratch.
This is incorrect. The only regulated part of a 1911 is the receiver, and there is a small market out there for "80%" receivers. As long as you perform the final 20 percent of the work, you can purchase a partially-completed 1911 receiver and finish it off yourself. Exactly the same as 80% AR lower receivers. All other parts for the 1911 can be bought in finished form, or you can make them yourself if you're masochistic.

No serial number is required but, as noted above, the BATFE "recommends" that you put one on. And a home-built 1911 CAN enter the "stream of commerce." You can't make it with the intent of selling it, but if you make it this year and five years from now find that you're not using it and don't have any further interest in it -- you can sell it. And you can give it away or bequeath it to someone in your will.

guncrank

Quote:
This is incorrect. The only regulated part of a 1911 is the receiver, and there is a small market out there for "80%" receivers. As long as you perform the final 20 percent of the work, you can purchase a partially-completed 1911 receiver and finish it off yourself. Exactly the same as 80% AR lower receivers. All other parts for the 1911 can be bought in finished form, or you can make them yourself if you're masochistic.

No serial number is required but, as noted above, the BATFE "recommends" that you put one on. And a home-built 1911 CAN enter the "stream of commerce." You can't make it with the intent of selling it, but if you make it this year and five years from now find that you're not using it and don't have any further interest in it -- you can sell it. And you can give it away or bequeath it to someone in your will.

No that is correct

RedBowTies88

Be careful and check with local laws before you proceed.

Federally it is legal to do so but I know in NJ it is 100% illegal, and I'm willing to wager we're not the only draconian state with such laws.

RedBowTies88

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

It's subsection 4 that has the manufacturing laws.

I know when you read it that it sounds as though it would only apply to corperations and people looking to wholesale. But in reality it applies to all citizens of the state.

I'm currenty looking for some cases.. I know i've seen 1 or 2 before where private citizens were brought up on charges for manufacturing guns for personal use I just need to locate them.

Actually, it's fairly clear:

13:54-4.2 Registration required
No person shall manufacture or sell at wholesale any firearm or part of a firearm unless he has been registered by the Superintendent under the provisions of this chapter.

Thanks. I was unaware of this.

RedBowTies88

No problem Tom,

Like I said I would be quite suprised if NJ was the only state where this scenario exists.... but then again NJ is known for that sort of thing when it somes to gun laws.