Legal limits on stock piling?

BerettaCougar

Quick synopsis of the situation...

So for the past few months I've been stocking up on ammunition.
Not because of the hype of the grabbers taking over, more so I like to buy in bulk.

Any legal limits???

PS - I store my ammo in a secure room...

Bud Helms

'Don't think so. The local radio or TV station may have fun with ya, if you ever get a speeding ticket, though. :D

Don H

There may be local restrictions such as fire codes that affect the amount of ammunition, powder or primers allowable in a dwelling.

Wildalaska

If you live in a nice neighborhood, the folks next door would look askance at an underground bunker with a rail spur coming out, so adjust your consumption accordingly.....:D

WildmorninguysAlaska

BillCA

Hey Wild, do you think the neighbors will notice the loading dock by the garage and the Winchester trailer every three months? :D

Fire codes are probably the most likely thing you'll have to worry about.
Some cities have their muni codes and fire codes on-line so you might want to look for that. I think you'll find that a lot of fire depts get nervous around 10,000 rounds. There's also limits to how much black powder and smokeless powder you can have (I forget what they are). Just remember to never store powder in a tightly sealed metal container (boom!). The plastic jugs will melt and let the powder burn quickly rather than cause a ka-boom.

Snow Fox

more than 5 pounds of black powder must be stored in a secured, outside facility. For bullets, i don't know but most people have saidi t best, IF you have a problem with the police the local news will make you look like a fruit cake.

A/C Guy

We also have been on a buying spree. The raw amterials are going to probably double in cost within the next year, so we are buying in bulk now. I have read the new Congress may impose some new taxes on ammo as well.

old 12 gauge

Just make sure that what ever you have is secure, nothing will bring your town down on you more than having a house fire and it looks like the Tet Offensive.
You'll see more ATF Agents than you thought possible.

old 12 gauge

..from another board
.small arms ammunition will cook off due to heat. Due to high heat the powder will ignite and burn, it does not explode. Ammo stored in boxes will cook off, with the bullet and cartridge case seperating....the bullet does not move very far, but the brass case may. Sometimes the brass case will fragment.

If the ammo is stored in an ammo can, the gaskets have usually started to melt also...the ammo will just cook off in the can, with the gaskets venting the pressure.

If you pour a canister grade smokeless powder on the ground and ignite it.....it burns.
The same things happens to a loaded cartridge when exposed to heat.

If the round is chambered...we now have a different situation. Since the pressure is contained in the chamber....we have a similar situation as if you fired the round. Not good.

And, we all know black powder behaves much differently, not the same a smokeless powder.

I have been in several structure fires involving ammunition and reloading components. The rounds will cook off....with pieces flying about. I have had brass 357 cases bounce off my SCBA facepiece and turnout gear. It does get your attention, but is of no danger, if you are wearing your equipment properly. It does makes for some interesting feedback from the neighbors.....they hear the rounds going off and are yelling at you as you make entry in the structure!

Last edited:

cuate

I can see the headlines of the liberal media

"Former Marine" found with literally thousands of rounds of shotgun, rifle, pistol and .22 ammunition and a vast arsenal of weapons, mostly in a gun safe which he refused to open. Officers stated it was a mistaken address and
the occupant put up a damned good battle before he was conquered. He lived and filed the largest lawsuit in history and likely will win it.