Legal Doc advice

Coop de Ville

Good morning all. A grad student where I work has asked if he could come with me to my range and try out a couple of my guns. He has never held a gun before, probably never saw one in person either. This would be his first experience. I am rather excited because I work in Academia, that far off fantasy land, where time, space, and common sense seems to vanish. I think it's adjacent to Narnia, but I digress. He probably has no interest in ever owning a firearm, but believes that with much regulation certain people should be allowed to possibly have "A" gun (his eyes got real big when I told him I had more than one). Anyway, he wants to see what it's like to take off his pocket protector and fire a weapon. My question is: Although I'm not afraid of any safety issues, is there a form I could type up or download that we would sign that would address any damage to person or property. So, if he got hit with debris or whatever, it would be addressed. Also, are there things like this that I should discuss with him verbally prior to going.

I have already made him read the NRA basic handgun book that discusses the basics and safety issues.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to expose these liberals to what I do so that "gun" isn't such an evil and unfamiliar word.

Regards, Coop

M1911

Coop:

Lots of clubs, schools, and individual instructors require people to sign a waiver. It is my understanding that waivers are something of a legal fig leaf -- they can easily be penetrated by opposing counsel. Nevertheless, I do use one.

That said, I suspect you'd need to get a lawyer in your state to draw one up for you.

M1911

Bruegger

I wouldn't bother going to a lawyer for it. Just run down to the office supply store and pick up a copy of "Family Lawyer" by Intuit. It should have a release form.

Do you really want to insist on him signing a waiver? It might reinforce his ideas that guns are "too dangerous."