Legal defense insurance

Actually, I don't know if it's "insurance," or something else. I'm at the point of realizing that I have been carrying for too many years without any sort of special insurance (or whatever) against the possibility that I might actually have to use my carry gun for purpose intended. I know there are products or plans out there, but I have no idea how to compare or rate them.

Some, I think, are just pre-paid legal fee pools, while perhaps others also include a liability insurance component. A friend has been talking up the U.S. Concealed Carry Association and their so-called "Self Defense SHIELD" program. The USCCA plan sounds attractive the way they describe it, but their EXTREMELY aggressive marketing tactics are an instant turn-off to me.

The NRA magazine carries ads for SecondCall Defense.

What else is out there? How does someone compare and evaluate the plans that are out there?

Mike38

I have CCW SAFE. No idea what's the best or worse out there. It's one of those things you pray that you never need to use.

Ramey

I've been looking into this as well. Some are only reimbursement policies. Meaning if you are acquitted they reimburse all the legal expenses. I will go with a plan that pays for the lawyer up front and even will post your bond as well. Peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skans

In my opinion, this is some of the hokiest BS snake oil ever sold. And, if it's not snake oil, it will cost you an arm and a leg. "Not Snake Oil", means that the insurance is underwritten by Lloyds, Safeco, Travelers, Chubb, Nationwide and maybe Allstate. It also means that it covers criminal defense and civil defense. It also means that it doesn't just cover you if you are "not guilty" and cover appeals as well.

Some of these so-called insurance plans are just law groups selling you pre-paid legal services - you DON'T want that. How hard is a lawyer going to fight for you if you only paid a total of $1,000 in "premiums"?

Itsa Bughunt

I say just go talk to your lawyer about it, then your insurance guy. If you're involved in a DGU, keep your yap shut, let your lawyer do all the talking.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
Skans said:
.... It also means that it covers criminal defense and civil defense. It also means that it doesn't just cover you if you are "not guilty" and cover appeals as well.

There's a reason that insurance will only reimburse legal expenses for a criminal defense if the insured is acquitted. Insurance laws in all States prohibit an insurer from covering an intentional or criminal act. Someone convicted of a crime has, bu definition, been found to have committed an intentional, wrongful act and cannot be entitled to insurance coverage in connection with that act. So insurance, like the NRA endorsed self defense coverage, can only reimburse expenses incurred in connection with defending a criminal charge if one is acquitted.

Don P

The wife and I have US Law Shield. $10.98 each per month no cap on legal expenses and covers criminal/civil trial.

ATN082268

Frank Ettin said:
There's a reason that insurance will only reimburse legal expenses for a criminal defense if the insured is acquitted. Insurance laws in all States prohibit an insurer from covering an intentional or criminal act. Someone convicted of a crime has, bu definition, been found to have committed an intentional, wrongful act and cannot be entitled to insurance coverage in connection with that act. So insurance, like the NRA endorsed self defense coverage, can only reimburse expenses incurred in connection with defending a criminal charge if one is acquitted.

Although it is better than nothing, it's still a significant downer. I don't know the financial situation of everyone who owns a gun but I suspect the vast majority don't have a bucket of cash to cover the cost of a criminal and/or civil trial. So what are your options, sell your house if you own it and wait for the insurance money to come in a while later (assuming you are not guilty)? Fortunately I haven't been in self defense situation but if there are good options to help cover the costs of a trial , I'd be all for it.

Buzzcook

This sounds like a great money making proposition. Where can I invest in the companies carrying these policies?

Given the unwillingness of insurance companies to pay out, I suspect the policy holder wouldn't see any money till they had been completely cleared of responsibility.

So we have a pool of possible policy holders that have a minuscule chance of having to use our product, and of those there is a chance we can refuse payment because they acted questionably.

Honestly this situation calls for saving enough money to hire really good lawyers. In other words self-insurance.

Buzzcook said:
Honestly this situation calls for saving enough money to hire really good lawyers. In other words self-insurance.
If I thought I could set aside $100,000 or so for potential legal fees, I wouldn't be asking about insurance (or pre-paid legal fee programs).

Armed_Chicagoan

CCWSafe covers all attorney and defense expenses (including expert witnesses), criminal and civil, regardless of the outcome of the case. And they do it up front and there's no limit.

vito

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but after looking at several plans, including the ones you named in the original post, I chose CCW. At $100 a year it gives me some peace of mind. Many states offer immunity against civil suits if you are not guilty of a crime in the defensive shooting, and your home owner's insurance may also provide some civil liability protection. I was primarily concerned with having access immediately after a defensive shooting to a QUALIFIED attorney, and CCW provides that service. Another company, and I can't recall which one right now (it was a few years ago that I went through the process of looking at these companies) told me that in the event I needed one of their attorneys, they would designate one from their panel in my area. When I asked who in my area was in their panel, they had only one name, and when I Googled that attorney, I found out he was a bankruptcy lawyer with no claimed criminal defense experience, let alone concealed carry defense expertise. Maybe they all are selling a bill of goods to try to ease the anxiety of the millions of new concealed carry license holders, but the cost was reasonable enough for me to sign on with them and to carry their card in my wallet, just in case. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Koda94

Aguila Blanca said:
What else is out there? How does someone compare and evaluate the plans that are out there?

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

take a look around their website, lots of information to help you make a choice. Note who owns it and the legal training material that you get to keep. To help make an informed decision on what different plans are out there and what to choose check out their buyers guide article...
https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/index.php/learn/307-buyers-guide

the monthly articles are very informative and they never spam you.