Left Twist

mrawesome22

I'm thinking lh twist would be a better choice, as it would tighten the barrel into the receiver each shot, and may counter act the natural pull to the right from a right handed shooter.

Maybe tests have already been done.

Sent from a highly hacked Android device using Tapatalk 2.

Scorch

Left hand twist would actually loosen the barrel with each shot. That's why they use right hand twist.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
One thing for sure: It doesn't seem to have been a problem for the last century and more, in several gazillion rifles. :D

mrawesome22

I guess rh would tighten.

Bullet turns right, barrel turns left.

Sent from a highly hacked Android device using Tapatalk 2.

P5 Guy

Threads

Can be cut either right or left hand, why not rifling?
Right hand twist or left hand twist would shooting either make the barrel too tight or unscrew and fall off?

kraigwy

Never heard of the rifle twist (either way) screwing off a barrel.

Certainly doesn't effect my choice of a barrel.

FrankenMauser

As P5 mentioned, you just need LH threads on the barrel and receiver, to match the LH twist rifling.

It's that LH-threaded receiver, that is the tricky part. ;)
(Unless you use something with a pinned or V-block barrel, like a 10/22, 77/22, or one of the various press-fit/pinned rimfire bolt actions.)

oldmanFCSA

LH twist RH Thread

One of our members in the FCSA had a LH twist barrel installed on a target 50BMG and the barrel was near impossible to keep tight.
Contact John Burtt of FCI fame for more info - was actually his wife's rifle.

OJ

I dunno about rifles but Colt pistols and revolvers rifling twists to the left - I doubt it makes any difference - AFAIK, their rifles do also.

IMG_2401.jpg

P3160001.jpg

They've been accurate and reliable over the years - I fail to see how it would adversely affect rifles.