Left over cleaning residue

doh_312

The first time I cleaned my carry gun I overdid it with the cleaning solvent and oil. Saturated the gun with the cleaning solvent and didn't allow it to dry before oil. That only made it worse. But being a newbie I threw the gun in the holster on my hip and went on my way. At the end of the day my holster was saturated with cleaning solvent and oil. I had to let the leather dry for two days and it took a full week to stop reeking of cleaning solvent. How long of a "dry time" do you guys give your guns before adding oil or shoving them in a holster?

Keltyke

I don't apply so much cleaning solvent. Only a couple of drops is really needed. Of course, I clean after every 50 rounds, too, possibly more often that most. Keep it clean and it doesn't need so much cleaning after a day at the range.

I wipe the solvent off with a paper towel, let it dry, then apply only a small drop or two of gun grease, not oil, at specific wear points.

As for your holster, you may never get all the solvent out of it. Try some K2R. Good luck!

Walther22lr

I usually wipe the parts dry as I go along after they are clean to remove any solvent. Some people use an air compressor too.

I only oil the parts that need it and use very little. Grease is used on areas that slide and again, just a little and only on the parts that need it.

Reassemble the gun, give it a wipe down with a very light oily rag and I am good to go. Its not greasy or dripping wet either. :)

I do live in a desert climate, so humidity is not an issue and that allows me a bit more leeway as far as how much (or rather how little) lube to give the gun.

Tom2

Time to buy a new holster and learn proper gun care. Really, don't get carried away. Solvent for cleaning is applied to the bore and when the bore is clean, you wipe it till dry with a dry patch. Firing residue is removed with some solvent on a rag, perhaps and any excess wiped off. Oil is applied sparingly to moving parts and only in the thinnest film on the outside, unless stainless or plated. Even then might not hurt. Look in the manual and follow the makers instructions, if any. If you are worried about corrosion in a carry gun, best inspect it daily and maybe wipe down the outsides with the oily rag, but putting excess on is just trouble in the making. I don't know, I am guessing maybe if you heated the holster with a hairdryer, not so much to scorch it or anything, the excess oil might work out onto the surface to be wiped off but leather is porous and either time or a new holster is the only thing to get the smell out.

Doyle

Is your gun all metal or is there plastic (grips removed for both cases)? If it its all metal, use ordinary non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray and it will get all the gunk out. If it has plastic parts, you have to get special gun spray that won't melt plastic.

After it dries (it dries really fast), use a tiny amount of grease on the slide (for an auto) and the tiniest drop of oil on the pivot points of moving parts or where two metal surfaces move against each other. Then, very lightly dampen a cleaning patch with oil (I like CLP) and wipe all surfaces. Then, wipe it once with a clean patch. Put the grips back on and you're done.