left handed shooting consistently 2:00 - 3:00

jimmythegeek

I am trying to develop some ability with my off hand, and I find I'm amazingly consistent off to the right when shooting left handed. I looked at the Wheel of Corrections for lefties and the conclusion - pushing or no follow through/too little trigger finger didn't seem applicable.

I was getting the same result one handed or two.

Shooting right handed, I was more distributed. A real shooter had a go and nailed the bullseye several times, so it's not sights.

I'm left eye dominant, right handed. I'm going to take a coach up on a $50/hour 1 on 1 session. Any suggestions before that?

Electric Head

Practice is probably what you need. My left hand shoots like rubbish, but that is because I don't practice. When I do have a longer session of left-hand shooting, my groups / aim improves. I find it takes a lot more concentration, but again, it seems like anything that I don't do regularly.

I wouldn't take a $50 instruction session, I'd get $50 worth of ammo and seriously practice with it - make every shot count. Apply all the techniques used on your right hand, on the left. That is: firm grip, move your trigger finger independently of everything else, focus your vision on the front sight and concentrate on keeping the sight picture correct, level front and rear sights with equal light bars either side of the front sight, pull the trigger directly back, not off to the side, whilst keeping the whole sight picture on target.

Most people say squeeze the trigger, not pull, I don't wholly agree. Don't yank on the trigger, but you're not squeezing it, you're strongly moving it rearward, in an absolutely controlled fashion. Squeezing is a term that I think leads new shooters astray as it implies squeezing your hand, which can throw your sight picture off. It helps if you have a strong finger. Strong hands is also very helpful.

You can find out more about techniques by googling.

kraigwy

pushing or no follow through/too little trigger finger didn't seem applicable.

How do you know its not applicable? The only way to tell is to dry fire the pistol with a laser sight. Don't need to buy a CT or something, steal your kids laser pencil (the one use to harass the cat) and tape it to the gun.

Watch the dot as you dry fire. Slide your finger in and out of the trigger to see what it does.

Also relax your grip a tad, You can't have a super tight grip and not disturb the sights while squeezing the trigger.

Also when shooting left hand I do better by canting the pistol a tad, (which relaxes the arm and grip). Not a whole lot, just about 8 -10 degrees, what ever feels comfortable.

You can have a firm (not death) grip and still be relaxed. Relaxation if one of the firearm fundamentals that far too many people ignore.

drail

This is actually pretty common for most shooters. The gun recoils differently when fired with your weak hand with no help from the other hand. It's simply because most people's left hand and wrist are not as strong as their right hand and the gun is being held differently which causes it to recoil differently. It's also common for people to place some pressure on the side of the trigger rather than pressing straight back on the center of it. This will pull your shots off center. Many competition shooters have learned to cant the gun slightly when shooting weak hand (unsupported). Concentrate on the front sight and pressing straight back only on the center of the trigger with no pressure on the corners. Try it next session and see what happens. I always dreaded matches which required a weak hand only stage. It takes more concentration and slows you down a little.

Last edited:

Buzzcook

Try using more of your off hand when shooting two handed. This way the dominant hand can be more relaxed and you can concentrate on trigger control.

So firm grip with off hand, relaxed grip with dominant hand.

tekarra

Jimmy, see if this helps.

LHC.jpg

RHC.jpg

langenc

As suggested save the $50. Might try some kind of 'exerciser' to strengthen the hand(s)/fingers. Drail pointed out that off hand (left) is weaker than dominant.

Gripmaster (name may have changed) from Dicks et al is a good one #800-880-3427. Get the weaker or middle strength, not the strongest.

stevelyn

I would never suggest that someone not get instruction. Getting instruction from a good coach is better than all the advice on the internet combined.

I agree. If nothing else, professional instruction will give a correct, solid foundation for you to practice and build upon yourself.