Left-handed shooting and the AR-15

SAWBONES

Any left-handers out there with standard (not DPMS left-handed receivers) AR-15s/Stoner-pattern rifles? How well does the brass deflector work for left-handed shooting?
If I can shoot a standard (right-sided brass ejection) AR-15, I can get a particular model I'd like, made by Bushmaster. Otherwise, the left-handed DPMS model is the only option open to me.
Anyone with advice or opinions, please holler.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

jcoyoung

I have a lefty friend in the Army. He has had hot .223 brass go up his right sleeve.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

TBS

Sawbones, I shoot lefty and my brass always lands 5 feet to the right and 2 feet behind in a nice little pile. I have never been hit by flying brass. Mine is a Colt.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
I have two right-hand uppers (A2) but I've never had a problem with brass. The deflector seems to work fine for me.

GgnubrKihn

Sawbones,

Am also a lefty and first AR was a SP1 without a brass deflector. Not much of a problem then, can't recall ever catching an ejected casing in an uncomfortable way. Do remember that when shooting off a bench would make a nice little pile of brass to clean up so ejections were very consistent. Changed out top end for a 6721 and deflector kicks brass to outside a little more and spreads brass out over a bit more area. Have a Bushmaster and works fine. Never been hit with ejected brass from either with the brass deflector.

Cawdor

I am left-handed and I have a Bushmaster Shorty Carbine. It is new, so I have put only 400 rounds through it. So far, there has not been a problem with ejected brass.

spleenandideal

I shoot lefty and have several ARs. Only one of them (BushmasterVmatch) throws brass in my face occasionally. The rest pile 'em up nearby. A lot of the ejected brass placement depends on several factors such as gas pressure and powder loads, but I also suspect that many different AR brands have light tolerance shifts in regards to the ejection deflector located bejind the eject.port. Seems like the Bushy I have probs with tends to miss the block altogether, and every spent case hits the rear lip of the port.

It does suck when a hot case gets stuck under your collar! There was some discussion awhile back on www.AR15.com about the lefty issue.

Keystone

My Armalite has never hit me with brass and I have shot some 4000 rounds through it as a left hander. The AR is truly the most left-handed-friendly service rifle that I have ever shot.

Scratch

I also shoot lefty. The only problem I have with my AR and brass is when shooting from the hip. The brass hits my forarm. I had a lefty upper from DPMS and was very disappointed in the quality. They left the brass deflector hump on the right side evne though the brass ejection hole is on the left. It also has no way to attach the dust cover on the left side so the bolt is always exposed and the dust cover tabs are still present on the right side of the upper. I was VERY disapointed in the DMPS lefty upper especially from a company like DPMS that prides themselves on their great products.
Now when I was in the army and shot the M-16A1s I got hot brass in my collar in my face and dinging off my steel pot.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is you'll be fine with the Bushamster.
Scratch

SAWBONES

Thanks to all who replied.
To Erick & FAL308; Where does one get the plastic snap-on brass deflector? I did a search on this at the AR-15.com Forums, and came up with absolutely nothing.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."