left-handed shooter wondering about right-handed safeties

idek

I'm been interested in getting a SA centerfire pistol. Some of the guns I'm considering have right-handed manual safeties.

I have a Browning Buckmark and Ruger MkIII, which both have right-handed safeties, but they are only for recreational shooting, not for defense of any kind.

For a carry weapon, I'm not sure how much of a hindrance a right-handed manual safety would be when time and efficient handling are very important.

Can practice and training negate any issues regarding the safety location, or would I be better served to look for ambidextrous safeties (or something without a manual safety)?

kcub

The most popular SA's can be had with ambi safeties or aftermarket parts are widely available such as 1911s and Browning High Power.

Vermonter

Same boat here

My solution is simple. None of my carry weapons have manual safeties of any kind. All can be fired with no action beyond the trigger finger. I would only consider ambi or lefty specific safety if I was considering single action for a carry weapon.

Regards, Vermonter

g.willikers

Striker fired auto loaders generally don't have, or really need, a manual safety.
There's internal ones.
Plenty of those to choose from.
Ambi-safeties seem to be bulky, prone to catching on things, and breakage.

Last edited:

RickB

I would recommend against training yourself to reach around on the "wrong" side of the gun to flip-off the safety. When the gun is being drawn and brought on target is no time to compromise your grip! As noted, most popular guns with manual safeties are available with ambi safeties. I have a half-dozen 1911s with ambis (of three or four different brands), some of them seeing weekly use for a decade, and no problems with breakage, or other issues. The only factory-installed ambi safety I have in use is on a Browning Hi-Power, and no issues with that, either.

Eppie

My solution is simple. None of my carry weapons have manual safeties of any kind. All can be fired with no action beyond the trigger finger.

I'm with Vermonter on this. Your brain is always the first and best safety, practice makes it muscle memory. The idea of fumbling for a safety in a crisis seems silly to me.

RickB

practice makes it muscle memory. The idea of fumbling for a safety in a crisis seems silly to me.

Contradictory? If you practice, and develop muscle memory, you won't be fumbling for the safety any more than you would be fumbling for the trigger.

Kreyzhorse

I'm a lefty as well. While its easy to adapt to right hand guns, I do not carry a gun with a safety unless it is ambi. For example my 1911 is ambi and my Glock and Walther both have the trigger safety thingy. Overall in a carry gun, I don't want a safety at all.

If I ever need my CCW, I do not want to have to fumble with an awkward right handed safety or try to disengage the safety by reaching over or around to do so.

TXAZ

^^^What Krezyhorse said. I'm in the same boat.
With a 2 hand grip its not difficult to flip it but it's not intuitive.

gpjoe

I'm a lefty and all of my carry pistols are ambidextrous. I won't carry a pistol with a right-hand-only safety.