LeFever Nitro 12 Ga. S x S

nagantfan

I ran into one at my favorite gun shop today. According to what research I've done on the 'net, it was made in 1923 or 1924.

I am considering buying it and would like some informed advice. Overall condition of the gun is good. Barrel isn't a mirror, but has been kept clean and is very clean now. Silver and shiny. No rust, no pitting, no discernible internal scratches.

The outside metal shows some wear, but it's all still quite acceptably dark. Ditto with the wood. There is just the littlest bit of play at the muzzle end of the forestock (if you really grab it firmly at that end and apply pressure).

It has two yellow plastic spacers (one between the buttstock and its recoil pad (?) and the other at the action end of the forestock). They detract significantly from the appearance of the gun (from what I understand they were never real lookers anyway) and make me wonder why they're there.

On the other hand, it FELT so good in my hands, shouldered so quickly and pointed so well that I am wondering why not to part with the $ 350.00, and make it a project/dove/squirrel/rabbit gun.

Thoughts, folks?

bgoldhunter

That seems to be the average going price on those, although I see a lot marked up $100 or more than that. The spacers would concern me, but I wouldn't stop them from buying it. Go for it!

Hello123

I have a friend with one and he bored the barrels out and uses it for duck hunting. He enjoys his. It is also kind of neat to look up and see him carrying such and old school gun.