Lee reloading data is confusing

AL45

I was reloading 7.35 mm today and the reloading data that came with the dies was contradictory. The schematic of the cartridge shows the MAXIMUM length is 2.894. The reloading data chart says the MINIMUM length should be 2.893. (Not much room for error) When I set the bullets to the cannelure, the length was 2.77. I fired 12 rounds and all shot well. Also, the Lee manual does not include all the reloading data that came with the dies. Seems strange to me.

steve4102

Maximum case length is for ammo manufacturers so all factory ammo will fit in all factory rifles. The handloaded is free to adjust his/her OAL to fit their specific rifle bullet combo.

AL45

Steve, what about the fact that when I seated the bullet to the cannelure the OAL was below the suggested minimum?

steve4102

I forgot to include Minimum in my previous post.

Basically the Minimum and Maximum Cartridge Overall Lengths are for ammo manufactures. The handloader is free to adjust his/ her OAL to whatever works for them.

Here is how Accurate and Ramshot Powders explains it.

SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a
guideline only.
The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel, 3)
ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

markr

it's not so much that the OAL is for the manufacturer's, the point nobody had touched on yet is that the OAL is designed so that the round will chamber in all or most of the guns on the planet chambered for the same caliber. since no two chambers are exactly identical, even in sequentialy numbered firearms, ammunution must be loaded one size fits all. those who wish to accurize their load for one specific firearm can elimnate as much free bore as possible without the ogive of the bullet actually touching the rifling. that is a whole nuther subject thats been beat to death elsewhere.

pathdoc

Also, the Lee manual does not include all the reloading data that came with the dies. Seems strange to me.

I noticed the same thing - both my Lee Loader and my Collet Die Set in the same calibre include in their data cards loads that "Modern Reloading" (even the 2nd edition) does not have. When I looked carefully, though, they both have later copyright dates than the book, and the collet set (which I bought more recently) has data the Lee Loader card doesn't.

Although I haven't done a direct comparison to see what's changed, the only conclusion I can draw is that Lee are constantly expanding their load data and including the latest updates with their die sets as they send them out.

Of course this begs the question of when Modern Reloading is going to get a Third Edition (it really needs one IMO, just as Speer needs a 15th), and then I think you would find that will be even more comprehensive (as well as possibly being a two-volume set).