lee pro auto disk

bossman

I'm thinking of getting one with the charge bar. I'm using the perfect powder now and it leaks to much to try and put on the powder thru die. I'm sure someone has done it.

Anyway the question is does the pro auto leak as much as the perfect powder? I guess I'm just getting lazy but with it mounted to the die seems it should speed things up some. I just don't want powder everywhere.

NWPilgrim

No, the Auto Disk Pro measure does not leak with the disks or the adjustable charge bar.

However, I went back to using the disks. I really liked the repeatability of the fixed cavities. You either settle for an amount of charge that is in the acceptable range, or spend more time finding the right powder and cavity combination that is optimal. For me, I have a few powders for handguns and can usually find a pretty good powder and throw combo in about 30 minutes of testing with a scale. But once I figure it out then I can repeat the setting instantly forever after.

For the larger rifle and occasional handgun load that just does not work out with the set of disks (I use the double disks for .223) then I use my RCBS Uniflow measure.

The charge bar has a kind of diamond shaped cavity when it gets small which is not a good shape for consistent measure of flake powders such as Unique. It works much better with ball powders like W231, Universal, and AA5.

bossman

AS of now 9mm,38 spl, 45 acp and 45 colt are all I load for. I guess it comes with only 1 disk, so for these rounds I might just be better off using the disk till I see what's up with my loads. Does it charge the shell when you expand it on the up stroke ? Are there different size disk or do you have to drill them out? thanks

NWPilgrim

Yes it charges on the upstroke. The handgun die sets have a powder through capability in the expander die. The case being pushed into the die first forces the powder-through expander up, which actuates the measure against a return spring. At the top of the stroke the expander stops when the measure reaches full open, and the case is forced over the expander cone to push the case mouth out slightly. Down stroke closes the measure and extracts the case from the expander die.

You get four disks each with six cavities. The smallest is .30cc and the largest is 1.57cc. Cavities increase in size from .02cc at the small end to .11cc at the larger sizes.

You can get the doubler kit which gives you another set of the same disks and a chart of combinations and resulting cc capacities, also longer screws to hold the two disks.

Some guys will drill out one of the cavities to make a fixed measure of their favorite load. I have always found a cavity in the disks that works fine for my various handgun cartridges (.38/.357, 9mm, .40, .44Sp/mag, .45ACP) and powders (W231, Unique, Universal, AA5, W296).

You want to get the Auto Disk extension if you use the Safety Prime on the Classic Turret press so that the measure is raised up enough to clear the primer tray as it rotates around.

CrustyFN

Bossman I like the disks better than the charge bar especially with light charges. I had some problems trying to throw small charges with the charge bar. As far as leaking I will end up with a few powder granules on the press after a reloading session, usually 3 hours. I use the perfect powder measure on a rifle charging die for loading 223 and don't get any more leaking than with the PAD. For pistol I would prefer using the disk measure.

bossman

Man that was fast, I ordered form Midway monday afternoon and it shows up at 9 am wednesday.I think I'll start out with 230gr LRN but first I guess I need to get the scale out and see what this thing drops with different charges.

bossman

Man, this thing is top shelf. You guys should have put your foot down and made me get this from the start :).

As everyone said it's a little light on the drop. The 43 disk dropped 3.9 and the 46 dropped 4.1 with Bullseye. I just loaded 100 45 acp with 230 gr. LRN and 4.1 of Bullseye and it really cut the time down, every time I checked the weight with my scale it was right on.

Man, this thing is top shelf. :D

NWPilgrim

Wait until the next time you come back to do this same load after loading other cartridges. No fiddling with the adjustable measure and going back and forth with the scale. Just slip in the previously used disk/cavity and go. FAST.

I double check with the scale but it is always within a tenth of a grain with handload weights from the previous session, and often spot on. Since I go by Lee's recommendation to not load to max power, I get perfect volume consistency even if the weight might vary a tiny about over the months or years.