Lee Pro 2000, 3 hole turret press won't index

fshfindr

After trying everything that I could to get my Lee Pro 2000, 3 hole turret press to index, I called Lee. A nice lady named Cathy made some suggestions, and I told her that I had done all that, she said send it in and we'll fix it for you. I asked the price and she said if we don’t have used parts, we'll call and you can put the charge for the parts on the credit card. So after 15 years, the warrantee is still in effect. She said they will check everything out and give it a tune up. And, they will pay for the return postage. I'll stick with Lee. I'll let you know what they do.

Richard L.

LE-28

There is a small plastic gear with a square hole in it under the lower assy that probably either has the square hole stripped in it or the teeth stripped off of it.

You have to take the press apart to fix this but even my 22yr old pro1000 came with an extra gear and I've never had to use it.

this gear, or the plastic larger gear it runs against are responsible for turning the indexing rod.

Take the turret out, raise the ram, and there is a screw under the carrier assy that secures the carrier to the ram, not the timing screw, loosen it, raise the ram, put two pieces of something the same size between the ram and the carrier and pull the ram back down. This will pull the ram out of the carrier so you can just lift the carrier assy out of the press. Turn the carrier assy over, take the two screws out of the cover over the gears and you will see the problem.

Almost always it is the small plastic gear with the square hole in it that the indexing rod runs through.

Replace the gear and reassemble. When you retime it the shell plate, hold against the direction it wants to turn and time it so the shell plate turns to it's correct position without allowing the ball and detent to click it into place.

This will insure correct alignment whether cycling the press fast or slow.

fshfindr

Like I said I tried it all. I too had the spare part that you speak of and I did replace it. San Francisco Liberal's videos are a favorite of mine, I have learned a lot from him, I like him so much that I sometimes call myself a Liberal with a gun. Yep, these fingers just never do type right, it is a 1000, but I guess 2000 sounded better. Never the less, I still appreciate your comments, thanks.

Richard L. (Lib With Guns)

fshfindr

Yesterday, 5.1.13 I got a call from Cathy at Lee. My press is completed. They had to replace 5 diff. parts. I did not take notes on the phone but I remember that one of the parts is the carrier which I think is the big center part and the hex ratchet. At this point there is still no charge except the $5.25 that I sent with the press. She said that there is a list of replaced parts in the box which I have not yet gotten. I will still keep you informed. After 15 years they did a rebuild at no charge. I don't know about the other companies, but it will always be Lee for me. :D

fshfindr

Today,5.3.13, I got my press back. The handwritten note says, "Replaced the carrier, hex ratchet, ratchet gear, small trough, gear plate, drive belt, adjusting screw & ejector pin, and checked alignment. They also said that I was using a large primer pin when it should have been a small primer pin which they replaced. They did all of that and only charged me $5.25 for shipping. Like I said before, I'll stick with Lee. :)