Lee pistol dies vs Rcbs

BillyBoy 57

I just picked up a Ruger single six in 32 H and R mag . I have always bought Rcbs dies in the past . Just wondering about Lees claim on their four die set.They say " by separating the seating and crimping operation you will benefit by greatly simplified adjustment " . Just looking for opinions before I buy a set of dies . Thanks !:)

olduser

No difference

On a pistol caliber I do not think there will be any difference in the finished rounds made by either brand. I use Lee dies to load the 32 S&W Long and have no complaints. The most common problem you will hear about Lee dies is there locking ring which uses an o ring. Some people just don't like them.

BillyBoy 57

After researching a bit more, I see the lee 4 die set is not made for 32 h and r mag . I was looking at an old lee catalog and saw this .

44 AMP

Staff
I do not much care for the LEE dies I have seen, and I do have a couple sets, which I got because at the time RCBS dies in the caliber I wanted were not available (pre-internet days).

Lee dies work, but I don't like their finish or features.

Seating and crimping separately has become popular but despite ad claims, I don't find it any "easier". When roll crimping, I use the crimp built into the seater die, and have no trouble adjusting things for good uniform crimps.

You do need brass with a uniform length to do it, but you need that for all crimps or the crimp will vary.

hammie

@Billyboy: As 44AMP said, it isn't really necessary to separate the seating and crimping steps. (You can live by his words.) However, I got into the habit of partitioning the process after ruining a lot of thin walled 44-40 cases, by trying to apply a heavy roll crimp. I now separate the steps for all revolver and for rifle when I infrequently feel the need to crimp.

What you can do: Lee currently offers a crimp die specifically for the .32 H&R. You could buy the RCBS dies, and then just buy the lee crimp die separately. The .32 H&R crimp die also has a carbide ring which will iron out any bulges from the crimp.

If you don't like the rubber O-ring body lock for the die, (which I don't), then buy a different lock ring to substitute. I like the hornady lock rings, and I substituted them on all my dies. They lock by compressing the ring, and so there's no set screw to potentially damage the die threads. Plus they have flats which fit a matching hornady wrench. The wrench makes it easy to tighten and untighten on the press.

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

Personally im a fan of hornady dies. What i do i get the die set i want and buy the lee factory crimp die and add it to my set. I know many people say you dont need the factory crimp die. But i like crimping separate. I also like that it does a body size to ensure that your rounds drop in the cylinder freely. Not necessary but nice. Especially on my progressive.

Crunchy Frog

With revolver cartridges I have no problem seating and crimping with the same die (even with .44-40 which has the reputation of being tricky to load).

With 9mm and .45 ACP I seat and taper crimp in separate steps.

BillyBoy 57

Thanks for all the input . I have ordered the Lee dies as Rcbs was out of stock . I will give them a try , it will be my first ever set of lee dies . I have always used rcbs in the past . I do know that my son in law uses lee exclusively and has no problems .

RoyceP

I love the Lee Factory Crimp Dies (FCD). They let me set up my press without installing powder or primer, just seating the bullet to get Overall Cartridge Length (OAL). When pulling the bullet repeatedly this is a huge advantage. Once I am satisfied with the OAL dimension I load rounds normally and crimp the finished product.

totaldla

You do need brass with a uniform length to do it, but you need that for all crimps or the crimp will vary.
No, neither the Lee FCD OR Lee collet require uniform case length to crimp correctly - which is why they are a better mousetrap imo. But I doubt Lee makes either for the .32.

Lt.Nick

I always keep an eye out for older, used RCBS. I think they were better made years ago. As far as if I need a new set of dies, I've been totally satisfied by Lee.

BillyBoy 57

My dies and bullets are to be delivered tomorrow according to tracking . I am looking forward to loading some rounds . It will be my first with other than rcbs , i will give them an honest try and review .

FrankenMauser

" by separating the seating and crimping operation you will benefit by greatly simplified adjustment " .
Until you pop the top off, because of the poorly cut, already-galling, stupidly soft aluminum used for the seating stem.
;)

No, neither the Lee FCD OR Lee collet require uniform case length to crimp correctly - which is why they are a better mousetrap
Resizing the outside of a loaded cartridge is a bandaid in search of *causing* a wound.
It is the worst mousetrap.

totaldla said:
neither the Lee FCD OR Lee collet require uniform case length to crimp correctly

Need to distinguish the FCD, which is a collet-style crimper for rifle and longer straight wall cases, from the CFCD (Carbide Factory Crimp Die), which is what they are talking about for the 32. The CFCD uses a shoulder crimp that stays at a single setting, the same as any conventional roll crimp die. So it still requires consistent brass length for consistent crimp results.

BillyBoy 57

I have just loaded 30 rds of 32 h/r mag with my first ever lee dies . No problems , all loads were measured and trial fitted in my revolver cylinder . For now my only negative comment is on the O-ring lock rings . Why ? I just don't think they are adequate ? I will use lock rings from another set of dies next time at the bench . I am going to try this Ruger out here this afternoon . Thanks .

44 AMP

Staff
Until you pop the top off, because of the poorly cut, already-galling, stupidly soft aluminum used for the seating stem.

I have a Lee .357 seater die where the seating stem is PLASTIC!!. Its a hard, dense plastic, but it IS plastic.

I do use it for those rare times I seat RN lead bullets, my Lyman seater is set up for SWC...

I've never had any problems with the way the few Lee dies I have work, I just don't like what they ARE....:rolleyes: