Lee Perfect Power Measure - HELP!

dajowi

After getting a Ruger Redhawk I decided to start reloading. After doing a bunch of reading regarding all of the brands and types of reloading presses I decided to go with the Lee 50th Anniversary model single stage press. It seemed to have just about everything anyone would need to start reloading.

One of the items contained within the kit was the perfect power measure. Though indeed I'm not a "rocket scientist" I'm neither a moron, (though after some 3 hours of dinking around with the metering instructions I'm starting to lean in that direction. The instructions seem rather vague.

Using the VMD for 1 grain of Titegroup and 5 grains for a starting load, that results in a measure of 0.423. Using those numbers I'm finding it impossible to set the meter to the three correct alignment points to throw a 5 grain load. Although there is no mention regarding this, I assume that only one downward turn of the handle is needed to throw a completed charge. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? A internet video demonstrating the correct technique for setting/adjusting the meter would be great. THANKS!

Wiljen

I had one of those measures when I started out and it was easiest to use a scale when setting the charge. Once dialed in, it kept its setting very well so I'd re-weigh one in 20 or so charges just to be sure I hadn't bumped it. I would buy a scale and be sure rather than guesstimate it.

If the charge weighs too heavy, turn the setting in until it is right. If it is too light, turn it out until it is right. Weigh 10 charges and us the average as your setting. The measure will typically throw plus or minus a couple of tenths of a grain. That is normal. Record the resulting number and put it in your notes for future reference.

If you get a much bigger variation than plus or minus a couple of tenths, you may have a powder that scale has issues with. In particular, it doesn't like fine grained ball powders like 231 or 748. They gum up the drum.

azredhawk44

If the charge weighs too heavy, turn the setting in until it is right. If it is too light, turn it out until it is right. Weigh 10 charges and us the average as your setting. The measure will typically throw plus or minus a couple of tenths of a grain. That is normal. Record the resulting number and put it in your notes for future reference.

Unclenick: He doesn't have a scale. He's correlating the volume of the powder to its density.

Dajowi: Please get a scale. And please get a better measure than a lee PPM. I had one and almost blew my face off from it rapidly changing its measuring characteristics over about 10 charges. The internal wiper bushing ripped on it and started throwing drastically higher loads for my .30-30 rifle. I got an extra 4-5 grains of rifle powder suddenly.

I'm very glad I had a hunch that I needed to start checking the charge on every load. Without a scale, you don't have that option... even if you had a different measure.

Imagine if your powder charge for your pistol suddenly went from 5gr of a very fast powder like Titegroup to 10gr?

Bye-bye redhawk, and bye-bye dajowi's hand.

In the 6 years that I've had my RCBS Uniflow measure, I've never had a charge vary by more than 0.3gr even during the most hasty reloading... and that's only with extruded rifle powders (notoriously inaccurate in the Uniflow). With flake or ball powders for pistol, I find my charges are 90% of the time to be spot-on, with a variance of +/- 0.1gr about 10% of the time.

I loaded about 500-1000 rounds with my PPM before it gave out.

I've since loaded about 25,000 rounds through my RCBS Uniflow. And I still trust it. No signs of wear at all.

darkgael

Lee PPM

I have three of them (and two Lymans, three RCBS, a Hornady, two Dillons, and a Redding). I mention the list only to show that I have a basis for comparison. The Lee PPMs have been as dependable and accurate as any of the others.
Get a scale.
Pete

Sevens

With complete respect to the experience's of azredhawk44, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is a fantastic tool for someone on a budget. It is very important to make sure you break it in correctly, running a pound of powder through it to condition the internal parts, but it worked very well for me.

But yes, as the others have said, you shouldn't be trying to set that measure up by volume, but rather by weight. You must have a scale to make it work safely. The best use for the graduations on the measure are so you can "dial it in" later to get back in the general area of a load you were using, then tweak it with the scale to set it up perfectly.

One thing that I think all new reloaders would be helped by tremendously is if we could get the industry to cease the term "powder measure." Powder measures don't measure anything! They throw a set volume charge and are repeatable depending on the physical make-up of the powder. A scale is a "powder measure". These tools we use to throw charges should rather be called "volumetric powder charge throwers."

ForneyRider

I bought 2 Lee kits, one a single stage with PPM and the other the Pro 1000 with Auto-Disk. They work better after some usage. Ball powders and short cut powders work better than say IMR-4350. Nudge, Nudge to IMR to make SSC versions for all their powders.

The single stage kit should have a scale with it. If not, 20$ for the Lee or 40-60 for a RCBS, Lyman, Dillon, Hornady scale.

My first powder to use for reloading was H110. It took several "throws" to get consistency. I think with my 3rd batch of 20 in .41 mag, I started getting .1gr consistency. Before that, powder would go all over. Yep, the operator was mostly to blame.

I like the idea of calling these powder throwers.

Gunpowder charges are databased by grain, which is weight, not volume. Yep, I have Mr. Lee's book and lots of his equipment. He will talk volume, and that is great. But, for precision, I am using a scale and not a powder dipper.

I am not familar with Bullseye, but W231, Power Pistol, and H110 work very well with Lee stuff. With some TLC(tapping with screwdriver), Varget, RE 19 and RE 22 work well too.

My coworker says fluffy powders (700X) don't work well in most, if not all, powder throws, so he uses a dipper.

With the Lee PPM, I guesstimate where I need to be, then test 2-3 with the lee scale. After 10-20rounds, I test again. It has been very reliable and not needed adjustment after initial setting.