Lee New Auto Prime Hand Tool

alanwk

The Lee hand priming tool is a piece of junk. Primers going in sideways every few tries. My old style Lee unit was flawless but this one is a piece of cr*p. Any suggestions as to which one to replace it with? Thanks

Twinsig

Have you called asked them for assistance? Anything that's man-made is subject to flaws and failures. Why not give them a chance to correct the problem?

They created the problem when they violated the prime directive: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Lee had a very good and highly affordable hand priming tool that worked. So what did they do? They redesigned it. The new design is inferior to the old design. Contacting them will most likely be a waste of a phone call, but it can't hurt to try.

If my old-style Lee Autoprimes break, I'll probably go with this as a replacement:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-h...dium=affiliate&utm_campaign=affiliate-2578709

jpx2rk

If you're interested in a bench top primer, the LEE Bench primer is a bit better, it still uses the same triangular shaped tray, but it works pretty good. I mounted mine to a piece of scrap wood and use clamps to hold it in place on the bench. You do have to fiddle with it at times, but mine does the job the majority of the time. If you keep an eye on the primer feed and fix the rogue primer before seating it, there is less frustration with it.

If you want a hand held one, the RCBS universal is almost bullet proof IMO

Don Fischer

It's not the shape of the tray. To be able to turn over a primer there has to be enough room in there to stand a primer on edge and close the lid. Doesn't matter what shape the tray is. Call Lee.

Nick_C_S

They created the problem when they violated the prime directive: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

My original Lee Auto Prime from 1984 is still the best one I own. It's so old, the "clear" primer tray cover has turned yellow-orange from the ambient light (not direct sunlight) and time (oxygen).

And then the lawyers became engineers.

Ever since they went to that "elevator" design, they're not nearly as good. With large primers, the new Auto Prime seems to work fine. But with small primers, the tray has too much vertical clearance and the primers can (absolutely WILL!!) turn sideways, get stuck, turn upside-down, etc. It's too bad they won't bother to make one dedicated for small primers. I know that won't happen.

Further, the new Auto Prime still works fairly well with CCI small primers - the nickel (or whatever it is) plating is slick and they slide into the elevator fairly well. Winchester small primers (which I use the most of) are a beast. The brass (or whatever it is) clearly has higher friction on the tray. I've got to turn the tool almost completely vertical (about 80 degrees) to get the primers to slide in consistently. And then the primers go sideways and get jammed, etc. It's a lot more work, time, and frustration than it used to be.

Rant over.

pathdoc

I've got to turn the tool almost completely vertical (about 80 degrees) to get the primers to slide in consistently. And then the primers go sideways and get jammed, etc. It's a lot more work, time, and frustration than it used to be.

It's not just Lee that has that problem. My RCBS hand primer (not the universal one; the original) has never really behaved properly. I'm going back to priming on the press.

AB said:
Lee had a very good and highly affordable hand priming tool that worked. So what did they do? They redesigned it.

...more than once, since the first redux was an even bigger failure.