Lee Neck Sizing Die

Wendyj

Got Lee Collet die today for 308. Can't get it figured out. Made several adjustments until it measured .003 which is what my full length measures. Bullet seater all but let it fall in. Adjusted more until it felt snug. Loaded one and fired.
Ran 3 more through it and even turned the brass 2 or 3 times in circle and pressed each time. Bullets still loose.

Think I'll stick with full length sizing and just figure I'm out of $20.00 or so. Thought it might shoot a little better but not worth the hassle. You tube made it seem easy but not for me.

Catfish

If you just keep seating the die down a little at a time it will work, to a degree. I have used them and they can be made to work, but I just plain don`t like them.

F. Guffey

Got Lee Collet die today for 308.

Wendyj, I hope there was nothing I said that caused you to purchase the Lee collet die. I always suggest a reloader get all the use out of the dies they have before starting on another one. I full length size with a full length sizing die, I also neck size with a full length sizing die. I size cases for short chambers with a full length sizing die and I size cases for long chambers with a full length sizing die.

I have Lee dies, I do not use them but I have them just in case.

F. Guffey

Wendyj

No sir. Not at all. I just seen no lube and form fired. Thought it would be a good idea but I'm with you. I don't like it either. I like Lees fls die. I have a Lyman also but mostly use the Lee. Just thought I would trie it. Guy on you tube shows a full turn and about 4 quarter turns. I turned until it was almost bottomed out and still wasn't snug on bullet. Some but next bullet was like it had never been sized. Just experimenting. Glad I didn't order 308 and 7 mag together. Would be a good die if it worked.
I could always pull guts out and use it to reprime. Lol.

WVMountaineer

Wendy, I'm going to suggest a few things to look at because I experienced the same thing the first time I used the Collet neck die. Not suggesting that you haven't already done this. Just trying to help.

First, I figured out real quick the die simply didn't work in every press. I have 4 presses. 3 Lee's and a RockChucker. The collet die didn't work in the c press or the hand press by Lee. I didn't experiment long enough to make them work or to see if they would work. But, if set up as the directions said, no dice. It simply wasn't resizing them. So make sure it isn't a press issue.

Second, bear down on the handle of the press. Rotate brass and do it again.

Once I figured number one out, number two came quickly. Deciding to use the die is a personal choice. I do on certain bolt guns. Even a lever gun or two. I don't really know why with the exception of the lever guns. I just do. Full length sizing works fine for my needs. While, I'm sure case life is affected by which die you use, I haven't seen a increase in accuracy that I can contribute to the use of the collet die. And brass is plentiful for my caliber needs

If you decide to stick with it, make sure the press will work with the die. If it does, make sure you getting 25 psi of force on the handle. It isn't a lot but it requires a bit of pushing. Good luck and God Bless

Wendyj

Clark thanks. I tried that one also. Puts lots of stress on bench. Bullet still doesn't go in but feels way too loose when seated. Maybe with a crimp after but I'm using bolt and don't crimp. Not yet. Have crimped a few 7 mags for hunting that will be in blind box magazine. Light crimp with Lee crimp die.
Mountaineer I'm using enough force. It puts more stress on my bench than the Lee challenger press. Rotating the brass is only way I could get neck close. Seen another video suggesting I take 1600 grit sand paper to top of grooves then regrease.

jepp2

Lee Precision's 44 second video on how to adjust the collet neck die

I have always used the Lee collet dies in my RockChucker and never had a problem. However, I follow the printed instructions, not the video guidance. For presses that toggle like the RockChucker, use 2 FULL TURNS of interference when setting the die. Once you get used to using the die, you can feel the neck "size" as you apply pressure on the press handle.

I also polish and lube the tapered surfaces in the die. But recent collet dies I have purchased are much smoother than they used to be. TFL member "Clark" has an excellent photo showing how he polishes these surfaces.

Bultaco

I have always used 2 cam overs with a 1/4 turn in between. What brass are you using and what bullet? I have had excellent results over a broad range of calibers with the Lee collet die. I only use the FL die about every 3rd. or 4th reload to bump the shoulder back when I have too much resistance closing the bolt.
Once in a great while the spindle needs to be thinned by chucking in a drill and running against emery cloth to decrease the sized internal dia.
That is the exception and not the rule.

jwrowland77

I love mine. I ran into what you're seeing. Once you run the die down to touch the shell holder, lock your lock ring. Slowly turn the very top piece down and check. Keep going until you get desired results.

I used a dirty case, that way I could see how far down the leafs were coming down the neck.

603Country

You don't cam over with the collet die like you do a standard die. If the die isn't working for you, there's a 95% chance that the problem is incorrect set-up of the die. That would be user error, in other words. Read the directions again. Watch a Utube video.

This isn't rocket science. The dies work great.

Txhillbilly

Have you measured the diameter of the decapping mandrel? I've noticed on several spares that I ordered last year in several calibers were a little over-sized.
I just put them in a drill,and use sandpaper or emory cloth to take a little bit off the diameter until they are at the size that I want the I.D. of the necks to be,and then lightly polish the stem.

Wendyj

Per instructions with die. Insert until touching she'll holder. Give one full turn. Turn 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch more until bullet won't go in neck. 1/2 turn and resize again. If mandrel is too large send full length sized case and we will send a different one for $5.00.

I'll adjust it some later this week and try some more. I spent 2 hours adjusting today. Working a double so had to nap for a few hours. Gave up.

Clark

BrokenRCBSRockchuckerpress.jpg

Math Teacher.

With the die adjusted at 100 pounds of force on the handle at top dead center, the force on the press is F= 100 lb x leverage [ 1/sin (0)] - friction = more than the cross section of cast iron can take.

13 years ago, i did not think to take a better pic of the part before sending to RCBS for a completely new press and accessories.

F. Guffey

With the die adjusted at 100 pounds of force on the handle at top dead center, the force on the press is F= 100 lb x leverage [ 1/sin (0)] - friction = more than the cross section of cast iron can take.

I have no idea what 25 lbs. of pressure on the press handle feels like

The last time this topic went around on another forum one member was banned and has since changed his name and? I did not make friends. I should have been more cryptic.

A local builder, collector and reloaders was sizing cases. After sizing the cases would not chamber. He was using a RCBS A2 press. After raising the ram when sizing the case he had a gap of .017" between the top of the shell holder and bottom of the die. The case's refusal to size forced him to adjust the die down an additional fraction of a turn. He called me when he got to 2+ turns. I suggested we make a press that did not flex and include a means of measuring the effort required to size the case. Problem, for him there is no lube outside of Imperial and Dillon in a can or bottle. Meaning I can size the cases, getting the case out of the die was going to be his problem.

I have force gages, I have deviation gages, when I want to know if the case is winning or the press is winning I measure the gap between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder.

One more time, screwing the die down increases the presses ability to overcome the cases ability to resist sizing. reloaders have creative ways of increasing the cases ability to resist sizing.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

higgite, I watched the link, in the absence of a technical adviser and no one knowing what questions should be asked I can see how someone could eventually get the die to work.

Neck tension, I use bullet hold, I can measure bullet hold in pounds, I do not have a conversion from tension to pounds.

F. Guffey

higgite

F. Guffey said:
higgite, I watched the link, in the absence of a technical adviser and no one knowing what questions should be asked I can see how someone could eventually get the die to work.

That is the goal, isn't it?