Lee Loadmaster primer feeds A-OK

PolarFBear

Just some "use" feedback. I pulled my hair out with my Loadmaster. Gave up on it and got a Dillon 550B. BUT---I bought a pair of the NEW primer feeder gizmos. LP is RED and the SP is Black. Both have worked wonderfully --- so far. Loadmasters are tinker toys but Lee may have truly "improved" an oft-maligned primer assembly.

1stmar

Nice to hear. I like Lee products but always felt their progressives were 85-90% there and that last 10-15% was not expensive to address but to much trouble to put up with. Even the pro 1000, which I had 3 of, was a decent machine but always had shellplate issues. When it worked it worked well but... Ended up w a 550b too. But at the time the pro1000 was $99.00 at midway.nhpw can you beat that?

jmorris

Ended up w a 550b too. But at the time the pro1000 was $99.00 at midway.nhpw can you beat that?

Sounds like with a 550;)

That said I had good luck with the new Lee plastic as well. Good enough for 100 rounds in under 4 min, couldn't get that out of the old primer system.

1stmar

Well that's true but I was able to get started on a progressive very inexpensively. That you can't do on a Dillon and while I did upgrade to a Dillon I learned a lot on the lee and I really liked it when it ran.

jetinteriorguy

I just bought my Loadmaster with my Christmas bonus and really really like it. The only issues I've had are all user error, although there are things to keep your eye on. For me the biggest issue is when the last shell casing drops out of the drop tube, sometimes it can tip or fall off and be a pain. But as long as I'm careful when the last case drops its no big deal. I have learned that if the height of the drop tube base is set fairly close to the case length it helps to almost eliminate this problem. As for the primer mechanism, I've found that once the tray is empty load another 5 rounds and then refill to avoid tipped primers. So far I've loaded around 3000 rounds And my wife appreciates the fact I spend less time in the basement and more time with her.

axismatt

It's been mentioned before, but I have had such great luck with this that I feel compelled to repeat it...

Consider hand priming your cases before feeding them into the Loadmaster. I started with a Lee hand primer and moved to the LYMAN E-zee hand primer (a truly superior tool to the Lee product).

The priming stage is the only part of the LM that gives folks a problem, and it is the only stage that you can't see immediately. I just don't trust it, and I doubt I would trust it on any other brand of loader. Hand priming is so quick and it lets you give a last visual inspection of each case before loading. Once you have 500 cases primed (about an hour's work), they cycle through the LM so smoothly that you will wish you had all the minutes back spent fiddling with the priming stage. Give it a try!

JeepHammer

I have two Lee Load Masters.
Save your money and buy a Dillon.
The Dillon xl650 is expensive, and anything 'Blue' is outrageous priced,
And,
It took some 'Tuning' to get it where I wanted it...

On the other hand, Dillon stays where you adjust it, once its running it stays running with almost no hitches at all.
Its mostly metal, so wear/age doesn't effect it like the plastic parts on the Lee LM.

Dillon is Nothing like the Lee Load Master which is clunky, glitchy, needs constant tuning since nothing stays in adjustment,
And relies on WAY too many PLASTIC parts that wear out or age/decompose over time...

Really liked my Lee turret press, couldn't recommend it highly enough.
I like some of the Lee dies and other accessories,
I can't recommend the Load Master to anyone for any reason.

Don P

I've loaded on Lee equipment. I now own a 550. Save your money and buy a Dillon. The Lee equipment down fall is the tweaking and the powder disc. The Dillon will give you MUCH more flexibility with charge weight over the Lee disc. The Dillon is adjustable and the Lee disc is NOT. The Lee disc is a predetermined weight per the size of the disc hole ( non-adjustable ) I have yet to find a charge weight with the disc that matched the chart with regard to disc size and powder weight charge. Lee makes great stuff, Dillon is better

lee n. field

Loadmasters are tinker toys but Lee may have truly "improved" an oft-maligned primer assembly.

Well, cool.

I don't suppose they've improved the Pro 1000, too? Pleasepleaseplease...:D

(I suspect the real Pro 1000 fix would be to build one up on the Classic Turret frame.)

The Lee equipment down fall is the tweaking and the powder disc. The Dillon will give you MUCH more flexibility with charge weight over the Lee disc.

Try their new Auto Drum.

JeepHammer

Well, the new primer feed DOES work pretty well.
Threw out the older primer feeds that were extra/unused.
The new ones do work without too many glitches!
Gives you time to watch all the other glitches the loadmaster has...