Lee Load All 2 reloading press. Need imput for possible purchase.

PoorRichRichard

I posted this over in the reloading forum as well. Hope I don't get in trouble for the double post, just trying to get as much info as possible.

I know Lee has a very good reputation for reloading materials/presses. Has anyone had any experience with the Lee Load All 2? It appears to be a great buy and has inexpensive options for loading both 12 and 20 gauge shells. Would seem to fit my purpose of wanting to load 50-100 shells per week. I am not looking for a progressive loader at this time, and I'm SUPER broke right now, so a full set up for under $100 is feasible.

Any warnings or words of wisdom before I go ahead and buy one?

You can view the product online here:

http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-load-all-2

Thank you,
-rich

BigJimP

In a nutshell, in my opinion ...the lee shotshell loaders are junk ...

They're not built to last.../ they tend to jam when resizing ...handles break ...etc. / they just aren't built to handle the job ...especially not long term in my opinion.
---------------
For an inexpensive shotshell loader...look at a MEC 600 Jr...they're around
$ 150 new / here's one source...
http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,198.html

http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/600JrMark5.asp

and I see a lot of them around used for around $ 75...$ 100...
--------------
and the Mec 600 is a press you can use for 10 yrs ....and sell it for more than you paid for it probably. The Lee loadall ...will long be in the trash...
---------------
I see at least one Lee load all at the monthly gunshows for sale ...and I've never seen anyone sell one.../ most shooters just keep on walking and don't say much about them .... where MEC reloaders are often there for sale too ...and most all of them sell every month - depending on what model and gague they are ..and what seller wants for them ..and condition. But even the beat up MEC's sell for parts.../ a buddy of mine bought a big box of dirty and beat up MEC loaders ...and all kinds of parts...his brother had two old MEC's that had been thru a flood / and he was able to rebuild both loaders from the mix of junk in the boxes...I think he paid $ 25 for everything../and he had extra bushings, charge bars, etc...
------------

I still reload 12ga and 20ga ...but the savings are not there like they once were ...with so many relatively inexpensive promo shells on the market now for under $ 6 a box ....reloads / with shot costing around $ 40 for a 25 lb bag ...reloading a shell with 1 oz ( 12ga ) cost is about $ 4.50 a box ....7/8 oz of shot drops it to around $ 4 a box.../ so it'll save you $ 1.50 a box or so ...but not a lot more than that / but most of us reload shotshells - to customize our shells to what we like to shoot ..

Last edited:

OkieCruffler

I have a Lee that I bought when I was 16 I finally stopped useing it last year when I lucked onto a Mec sizemaster for $25. That old Lee looks like Hell, cracked in several places, you have to hold it just right to get the crimp anywhere near right. It's cranky, a royal pain to change shotsize or powder. But I put up with that for 20 years and untold thousands of reloads. Even bought a 20 ga conversion set to swap it back and forth. So I'll never tell anyone they won't work, but when I see so many good used MECs out there for about the same price I wish I had upgraded about 19 years ago.

With the cost involved I wouldn't bother to reload at all but I've had to drop down to a 3/4oz load in the 12ga and you won't find those on the shelf anywhere.

olddrum1

The smart move would be to find a used Ponsness Warren in your area. These, unlike most other reloaders, are a once in your life time reloader. You pay a little more up front but in the long run you save. Like BJP said, don't waste your money on the Load All. Your time is worth something and a PW will drop 100 factory rounds out in less than 5 minutes.

jaguarxk120

I know the lee stuff is made here, but everytime I look at a display what comes to mind is the "pocket Fisherman by Ron Popeil aka Ronco".

Technosavant

I'll agree that the extra money for a MEC 600 Jr. is well spent.

I've not used the Lee Load-All, but having had good experiences with Lee metallic cartridge reloading presses, I thought about getting one. Everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) I talked to told me to spend the $ and get the MEC.

I listened.

The MEC 600 Jr. is popular for darn good reason. If you get the Lee, I have a strong feeling it will not be long before you wish you'd spent more from the get go; then you'll be out the money for not just the Lee, but also the MEC you bought to replace it.

zippy13

I stared with Lee loaders and switched to progressive Mecs many years ago. Most of the Skeet shooters I know have 4 Mecs, too. I wish I'd known about Ponsness Warren loaders from the get-go. Yes, the PWs cost more, but you get what you pay for. A few of the Skeet shooters and many of the trap shooters have PWs or other high end loaders.

Virginian

I have one I have had for about 20 years and it works fine. It's not a Ponsness Warren, but it doesn't cost like one either. I have also had/have MEC, Lyman, Dillon, and Ponsness Warren. I think the Lee stuff is a good deal, and factory support if you need it is there.

darkgael

little

You pay a little more up front but in the long run you save
Ponsness-Warren? A little more? Than a MEC 600?
Your definition of "little" and mine are quite different.
It is a top shelf item for sure.
Pete

Cary

I went through the same process four months ago. 95% of my center fire reloading equipment is Lee brand and have been happy with it. It works for me. When it came time for me to buy a shotshell press I did my research and ended up buying a used MEC 650 and am glad I did. I didn't like all the plastic they use on the Lee shotshell loader or the lack of being able to adjust the machine if needed. There are a lot of used MEC machines out there for sale and if you are patient you can come on to some excellent deals on near new machines. Just my two cents.:)
Cary

Mobuck

I used a LEE shotgun loader for several years. It was slow and tedious but the shells shot fine. When I had more money to work with, I upgraded to a MEC. Much easier,faster, and does somewhat better job(OK does a lot better job). I still have the LEE and would use it again if I needed a handfull of odd loads that I didn't have the MEC bushing for.