Lee Hand Press Junk

Blindstitch

Lee Hand Press

I have been using a Lee Hand Press for 4 or so years now and I decided to do something dumb while converting some brass and it almost did it but long story short I cracked the breech lock side.

In a hail Mary I emailed Lee over the weekend and in the process of late night infomercials I ordered a new hand press. Then Monday morning Lee emailed me back with a link to replacement parts for free plus shipping. Today both the parts and new press came.

I'm very happy with Lee's service and products even when I was at fault.

The question is what to do with the Lee Hand Press Junk part now. By the way they also sent me a second replacement part in case I have another dumb moment.

Last edited:

Blindstitch

Why are you calling it "junk"?

The only thing that is junk is the broken cast piece. This is probably the best tool for a person who doesn't have space for a bench.

On the other hand I did just Ebay a RCBS JR2 on the cheap for swaging. Unfortunately I also had to make a Reese hitch bracket to do it outside off the back of my truck.

TruthTellers

Keep everything. Having a second press never hurts.

I also have a hand press and I like decapping and crimping on it, but resizing is tough, bullet seating requires a third hand, and you can't use a powder measure on the press.

That's what you sacrifice for the portability of the press tho and I'm happy that Lee makes the hand press cuz nobody else does.

HiBC

Ihave purchased more than one. Given a few away. IMO,they are a value priced,useful tool.

Your post indicates you tried something unusual,the press broke,and Lee customer service took good care of you.

The news media trend today is to use a sensational click bait title that misrepresents the truth just to get attention.

It may seem normal,but,do we really have to?

A person just skimming titles might conclude Lee sells junk.

If you can edit your title,you might try " Lee stands behind their product" or some similar representation of the truth.

The way this strikes me,you are not treating Lee the way they treated you.

DaleA

I agree with HiBC, the title of your thread sounds like you're going to rip Lee when Lee has been pretty good to you.

Blindstitch

I don't think Lee will be crying over my post. I've made plenty of positive reviews on their products. And I've defended them against the people who say Blue, Green, Orange, the other Red are the only products worth having.

Most of my reloading stuff is made by Lee and the only problem I really have with their product is needing more room to buy more of their stuff. Ok that's not true. I don't like the wack a mole reloaders yet I have them in 30-30, 300 win mag, 12 gauge and 2 in 30-06. One thing I really like is Lee is located maybe 45 miles away so ordering from them is really fast.

Salmoneye

The Lee hand press is the only press I have ever needed...I may want others at times, but the hand press has served me exceptionally well since the late 80's...

I have used it for everything from .38 S&W to .45-70 and .30-06...

I have even used it for reforming from .30-30 to .357 Herrett...

Still going strong...

hagar

I have the same experience, been using the hand press since 1990, feel no need to change. I actually have 3 of them.

Probably loaded over 50,000 rounds of 5.56 on mine. And a bunch of 7.62, 30/06 and even the occasional 340 Weatherby.

hounddawg

I use the Lee hand press for a couple of things.

Load development at the range along with the $20 Lee Perfect powder throw, which actually handles short cut stick better than the higher priced metal powder throw that came with my APL progressive

Along the same lines I will tweak in bullet seating at the range. Just load 50 at the bench with bullets seated to touch the lands at home then seat them deeper when at the range to find the ideal jump

Decapping at the range. Then you toss the decapped brass into a old mayo jar with a bit of soapy water to soak. Really helps with primer pockets coming clean

have to agree with others thoughts on the poorly thought out title however. My first thought before I read the thread was this was just another troll thread. Almost just skipped reading it altogether

lee n. field

Lee Hand Press Junk

Thread didn't go where I thought it would from the title. :)

The Hand Press was the only press I used for a long while. Not real easy to full length size rifle brass. The ergonomics are a little sucky. Other than that, no complaints. Very very handy.

Then Monday morning Lee emailed me back with a link to replacement parts for free plus shipping.

Very nice policy of theirs. Minor parts for free, you just pay shipping. I've used it a few times since I learned of it.

hounddawg

you can reload anywhere with one, just add bullets, powder and primers

ouxrgj.jpg

hounddawg

poor mans reloading kit in a box for range testing. Version 1.0, when cold weather comes I am going to improve things but keep same basic concept. It 's just a simple wood box with a bi fold door that folds from the top with plexiglass windows in them

In the rear there is a small holder for 4 dies and a hook for a powder pan/funnel. Next is the Lee powder throw. I have found it is more precise than the metal throws that that cost 5 times as much, go figure. Then a RCBS 750 battery operated scale.

The big black thing is a homemade powder trickler. You can set the throw low and trickle it up with the box closed. The trickler was made from some 2 inch PVC and epoxied to a stand made from some scrap 2 x 4 so the pipe would clear the pan. The pipe itself is a piece of hollow aluminum arrow I found by a trail. I put a couple of O rings to hold it laterally. Mr Dremel made the slot for the powder to get in and a small piece of dowel blocks the end and extends to the exterior of the box.

Next is the case for the $15 dollar ebay electronic calipers. Primer seater of your choice andsome Nver Dul for range cleaning the carbon from necks along with a tin of Imperial tops it off.

Throw a charge with the Lee, put it on the scale, Close the doors if it is windy and trickle to weight. Seat the bullet with the hand press.

You can reload anywhere/anytime with this. benchloaders use a fancier version with arbor presses and Harrel powder throws. You can put one of these together for between 100 and 200 bucks easily

Last edited:

Blindstitch

Interesting little box Hounddawg.

Those Lee Perfect Powder measures are pretty handy too. I have two of them and wouldn't regret buying a third. I'm with the Ron Popeil way. Set it and forget it. Got one for 6.5 arisaka and another for 30-06.

hounddawg

I have two of them and wouldn't regret buying a third. I'm with the Ron Popeil way. Set it and forget it. Got one for 6.5 arisaka and another for 30-06.

I like that idea, I am simplifying down to 2 main calibers for my bolt guns myself and will only range load for the bolt guns.