Lee expanding die

chris in va

I'm using the ThighMaster nee Hand Press for my 9mm. The expanding die is getting really stuck, despite the carbide claim. I tried cleaning the guts which helped some but I still have to give it a couple-three good whacks for it to open, and the powder sometimes sprays out of the shell in the process.

Please don't tell me I have to lube every single case...:barf:

Sevens

Whoops, we need some terminology or clarification of what we are talking about here.

Expanding die-- like in case mouth flaring die? This die isn't carbide. When you buy a "carbide die set" that means you got three dies: A carbide sizing die (no lube!) and a flare die and a combination bullet seater/crimp die. Only the sizer is carbide.

Now the flare die has been known to "stick" a bit, but not so bad that you shouldn't be able to pull the case from it with your thighmaster press.

I'd recommend you flare say... 50 cases, then charge each of them in a load block rather than charge each with powder while it's inside the flare dies.

This will keep you from spilling powder and it will give you a chance to see all 50 (or however many) cases all sitting together, so that you can compare them and make sure they all have a similar level of powder.

This is perhaps the best way to ensure that you aren't making squibs, or powderless loads... or even worse, double charges.

bignz

It's my understanding that the Lee powder through expander die is designed to stick - but just a bit. The reason for this is that the snap of pulling out the shell will shake loose any powder in either the funnel or the die. If, however, you are getting a situation where the force necessary to break the shell loose is resulting in powder flying everywhere - that doesn't sound right.

One suggestion. Check to make sure the expanding plug in the die is going in the correct direction. Maybe there is a different shape to one end over the other. Just a suggestion. Otherwise call Lee and ask them for advice.

teeroux

You may be flaring the case too much as someone else said. You only need enough flare to start the bullet in the case the shell holder may not have to contact the flare die.

chris in va

You may be putting too much flare on the cases.

I'm using lead bullets and they're *just* barely able to be inserted.

I'll try charging them separately, that's a good idea. A call to Lee might be in order as well.

So the flaring/powder through die isn't carbide. Hmm.

Sevens

If you can push the bullet in without stripping lead shavings from it, that's enough flare.

On most of my calibers and with most of the bullets I use, you almost cannot tell the cases are flared by looking at them or feeling them. You need to grab a bullet, place it on the case mouth and examine it to tell that they are flared.

The more you flare, the more flare has to get removed by the crimp die in the next step. And the more wear & tear on your brass which eventually leads to mouth splits.

Try your hand at much less flaring and see how well a bullet seats and you may have your answer.

And you are correct-- when loading cast lead, a little MORE flare helps... and when loading jacketed, a little LESS flare goes a long way.

DWARREN123

As said you may be putting to much flair on the case mouth.
Also may wish to call Lee.
One thing you can also do, if you wish, is polish the expander with increasingly finer wet/dry sanding paper (800 to 2000 grit) to smooth the part that touches the inside of the case mouth.
A loading block for powder insertion is also a good idea.

chris in va

I contacted Lee today. She said in the past the expanding plug was the wrong part for 9mm and may cause sticking problems. They are sending me a new die, no proof of purchase or anything.