Lee Enfield No. 4 MK I markings

earlthegoat2

I got the MilSurp itch and finally took a scratch.

I know a little bit about these rifles.

I just put one on layaway at a local pawn shop. This really shouldnt be a concern because I think I already know what it is.

The tag on the gun says its a 7mm.

Just so everyone knows nearly every gun in this shop is mismarked somehow. The Enfield above this one was sporterized and it said Mauser on the tag. So did the sporterized Arisaka next to it and last but not least the Remington 1903A3 had M1 Garand 308 on it. This was just on one section of the wall.

Well, I know these can be rechambered to 308 quite easily but I have never heard of one being officially done in any 7mm. Second is on the end of the barrel next to the importers mark (CIA) it says 303. So I think it is a 303.

Just looking for some positive feedback on my choice of rifles. It is in pretty good shape with a little bit of wiggle in the handguard which I understand is normal. Magazine has quite a bit of surface rust. Adjustable aperture sight is intact and works well. Pretty nice. Got it for 200 +Uncle Sams.

dreamweaver

I'm guessing it's a no4 mk1*. great gun! probably more accurate than any of my other long guns. ammo is a concern, milsurp has pretty much dried up, but prvi partisan is still making it with brass cases (reload)

earlthegoat2

I am unsure if it is a Mk 1 or Mk 1*. How would I tell?

Yeah a Lee Loader is on order (I do most of my loading with original Lee Loaders) I have 2 boxes of Winchester hunting ammo which will donate its brass to the cause after they are fired first.

I suppose it is either a No 2 or No 1/2 or No 1/3 since it has the brass butt.

Jeez I dont know, there are too many variants of these rifles.

I know it is British production though. No Savage or Long Branch markings.

Last edited:

Tikirocker

No4 Mk1 has the plunger release for the bolt.

No4 Mk1* has the simplified cut out in the bolt race for bolt release, only the U.S and Canada made the Mk1*. If it is British production then it is a MK1.

Don't know what you mean by No2??? The Mk1/2 and Mk1/3 rifles were upgrades of the No4 Mk1 and Mk1* rifles to the No4 MKII specification. They have nothing to do with the No1 MKIII series of rifles. While most No4 rifles had the ZAMAK composition alloy butt plates, some No4's did retain a brass butt plate.

Tiki.

Nominally, the .303 British IS 7mm, 7.7mm, actually.

South Africa loaded ammo for the Lees into the 1980s, much of which was marked 7.7x58R on the box.

earlthegoat2

Yeah it is a MKI. It has the plunger bolt release.

Is 200 a good price for this rifle. I know SOG is selling them for arond 400.

Either way it is more than worth 200 to me so I will be buying it anyway.

madcratebuilder

Price can be condition related as you know. $200 is not a bad price for a #'s matching rifle. You want the bolt and receiver # to match, it's not absolutely necessary but it is nice. Check the bore and if possible check the head space.

If your going to start collecting the No4 or No5 rifle I would recommend you buy Charles Stratton's book "Volume 2 Lee-Enfield No4 and No5 Rifles". It well cover the different Mk numbers and manufacturers, parts variations, serial numbers and on and on. I think the 3rd edition is the newest and has updated information from earlier editions. caution, these rifles are addictive.

earlthegoat2

Yeah, I dont even have it in my hands yet and I am planning the purchase of my next one.

I would call the condition good all around. Is not missing anything major. Bore is clean with no pitting but is frosty of course.

Im not exactly new to milsurps but for the life of me I did not check the numbers to see if they matched through and through. Not a huge deal to me I guess as I was looking for a shooter.

Tikirocker

Not a huge deal to me I guess as I was looking for a shooter.

All the more reason to make sure an Enfield has matching numbers. The British marked the bolt and receiver to ensure perfect mating of the lugs; which in turn ensured accuracy.

Tiki.

earlthegoat2

Well as luck would have it, the rifle is numbers matching and in better shape than I remembered. Must post pictures as soon as I get it home with me.

armabill

The No4 MK1* should be on the left side of the receiver.

I just bought one, with the*, for $250 but it included the correct bayonet and scabbard.

Unfortunately, my bolt number doesn't match the serial number but the guy I bought it from has fired it. The bolt head is a #1 which is encouraging.

DougW

The rifle can be positivly ID's by the numbers/letters on the butt socket (where the butt connects to the rest of the rifle). The serial number is the best start, but post everything you see, including any info on the left side of the reciever.

There were 3 WWII manufacturers in England making the #4mk1. Fazakerley, BSA, and Maltby. The mkI* were either Savage or Long Branch (Canada). The Aussies and Indians made variants of the #1mkIII, and India actually made some #4mkII's (post war). Fazakerley also made the #4Mk2. The Mk1/2 was a Mk1 (English) rifle converted to the Mk2 trigger standard, the Mk1/3 being either a Savage or Long Branch converted to the Mk2 trigger.

Miss matched serial numbers are no big deal. Sometimes during Factory Thorough Repair (FTR) bolts were replaced with servicable bolts rom otherwise unservicable rifles, or with new bolts. The bolt head is how the headspace is set, there being 4 different bolt heads (0,1,2,3). Keep in mind that the Enfields headspace on the case rim, not the shoulder. case streaching is common, as the chembers were capable of having mud and sticks crammed inside with a cartridge and still firing.

My current inventory consists of 14 .303's, 8 of which are #4mk1's of some kind. I have only one that I shoot consistantly and reload for it (makes reloading easier). You have chosen a fantastic weapon. My second choice after the M1 Garand in milsurps. I shoot mine in Vintage matches as often as possible. Good rifles!

madcratebuilder

Mark this day on the calender earlthegoat2, in a year you well have more than one. Enfields are very addictive. With five major manufacturers for the No4 and the variations with in individual manufacturers it takes a large safe to hold all the possibilities.

Savage-Stevens and Long Branch made the No4 MkI*(star) it's the war time expedient bolt release. Their early rifles are MkI with the standard release and worth more. Something to keep an eye out for.

A miss-matched bolt is not that big of deal, just confirm your head space is .074 or less.

earlthegoat2

I got it out of layaway the other day so now I can make sure of the manufacturer and all that.

It is marked on the left side of the receiver "No. 4 Mk 1 F(FTR)48" then the serial number.

Bolthead number 2.

"M47 1943" on the left side of the butt socket.

Serial number Z64XX.

This should make it a BSA Shirley produced rifle.

SDC11633.jpg

I shot it and managed 50 yd accuracy of about 4 inches. Im not the best with non optic sights. I am getting better though.

There is one issue with the magazine though. It may need a new spring. The last round in the magazine will not stay in the magazine. It just kind of sits under the lips but will come out if the rifle is inverted. It will also not feed. Is this common and is there a solution to it. If you load the magazine to capacity it will function fine until the last round.

Tidewater_Kid

Nice rifle! Enjoy it! I had the same problem with my '43 Maltby. The follower spring has lost it's "spring". I just load 5 (one charger) worth at a time and never have a problem. I'm not using it in battle anyway and the mag matches the rifle. You might be able to get a new follower and spring from Springfield Sporters or off eBay.

http://ssporters.com/parts/enfield4.htm

Listed as part #28 and $3.

TK