Lee-Enfield Cavalry Carbine

BlueTrain

The various recent posts about Lee-Enfields has made me wonder if anyone here has a pre-SMLE Lee-Enfield cavalry carbine or, for that matter, a long Lee-Enfield, especially one that is still fired now and then. I have long been interested in Lee-Enfields and have owned examples of most variations from the SMLE through the No 5, including one in .22 RF and one sniper rifle with case. However, I have never even seen either a long Lee-Enfield or Lee-Metford or a cavalry carbine. Curiously enough, I have seen two .303 Martini-Metford rifles, as I believe they are correctly called.

Anyone have one?

Death from Afar

Yep. I can get you one too if you want one. The Cavalry Carbines were issued to the Canterbury Mounted Rifles during the Boer War, and my Grandfather used one in that conflict. IN addition the Number one, mark ones ( The Long Toms) were issued to the New ZEaland Army during the early stages of World War One. YOu see a few in the photos of the Kiwis at Gallipoli. I can get you one too if you want one- they are pretty common here.

BlueTrain

I was beginning to think they were so rare (or so uninteresting) as not to merit a comment. I do know that some rifles were converted to SMLE's but I don't think I've seen one of those either. I'm surprised they are common anywhere. Have you actually fired either?

Yes, I want one. No, I'm not going to buy one. But they will stay on the list.

Now, the most recent Lee-Enfield that got me excited (!!!) was a 7.62mm sniper rifle L-somethingorother, complete with case. I did examine it but I wasn't allowed a laying on of hands. This I saw at a gun show here in Virginia (at Bealton, to be exact). Very nice. Very pricey.

I am still somewhat amazed at having seen two .303 Martini rifles. The more recent one was not very nice but was still pricey.

Death from Afar

Yes I have fired one. I own one. In fact the very first centre fore rifle I fired was a No1 Mark 1 .303 at a tree.

I am not aware of the SMLE conversion. The No1 Mark 1's were issued mainly to the Australians and New Zealanders with most ending up here in New Zealand.

The .303 martinis are quite common here- one is for sale here:

http://www.guncity.co.nz/303-enfield-martini-carbine-xidp117549.html

The Snipers job was an L42. In .308. not .303. They are a converted Mark 4. They were not an issue weapon in New Zeland, although I have shot a few. Nice rifles, but nothing compared the AW's we have now.