lee dippers, who uses them?

bamaranger

me

'I've got an old set, black plastic, and a newer set, yellow, though bpoth are over twenty years old.

Handy for single stage loading. Before I got a Loadmaster, I often used a dipper and a trickler/scale for rifle rounds. Much of my handgun ammo came straight from the dipper.

Not a lot of options, but simple, cheap and affordable.

Marco Califo

They are useful

They include them with dies, and usually they are in the range I need for a powder I have. They do deliver consistent charges, and after checking a few with a scale, I have used them for target loads.

I do like the Lee perfect powder measure http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=540522 better though. It comes with a stand bracket and the cc volumetric measure is useful to dial in very close to your intended charge on the first charge, by referencing the included powder density data http://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/instructions/Perfect_Powder_Measure.pdf. For $20.

Last edited:

jmortimer

Have two sets. Dippers are all I use. Nice not to use a scale once I open a cannister and check the powder to make sure what the dipper is throwing. Since I mostly use Unique, it can be a year or two or more before I have to break out a scale if I buy 8 lbs. No moving parts and is the safest way to reload. Key is to get your technique down so you throw consistent charges +/- .1. Making your own out of used brass is really nice for custom dippers.

dwhite

I've got a set and use a few of them frequently. I like them better than my powder measure as there's nothing to adjust. They do throw consistent charges even with flaky powders and Unique.

Loaded some rounds with Clays today. I dipped 10 charges onto my scale and weighed it at 33 grains. Usually get 3.2 +/- 0.1 per dip so this is more than adequate repeatability.

I make some dippers out of spent casings for loads I use a lot and there's no dipper for. File it down. Glue on a handle and I'm good to go.

Don't really know why I have a powder measure any more?

All the Best,
D. White

flashhole

I've found them to be very repeatable too. I wish Lee would come out with a set of "tweener" cups for greater utility.

Lost Sheep

Tweeners and precision

flashhole said:
I've found them to be very repeatable too. I wish Lee would come out with a set of "tweener" cups for greater utility.

You can make a set of such dippers by dribbling a little carpenter's glue, a spitwad or chewing gum in the bottom of the cups. Adjust by trial and error until you get them right. You can also make an adjustable dipper by drilling a hole in the bottom of the cup and installing a machine bolt/screw of a size to completely block the bottom of the cup. The glue is my idea, the screw thing is something I read on another thread. I wish I could remember whose idea it was so I could give credit.)

Dr. Strangelove said:
I use them all the time, they're very convenient for loads that don't require super precision.
What do you use for loads that do require super precision? If you use a powder measure, I suggest you run some comparison tests. If you use a scale for those precision loads, then I agree with you. When I want a precise weight, I dip for a weight just below what I want and trickle up to the desired weight.

Given a consistent dipping technique I would put dippers up against any commonly available powder measure that doesn't involve trickling powder up to weight. Dippers are incapable of jamming, cutting or otherwise damaging powder granules. You also cannot run out of powder without knowing it.

For some folks, getting their dipping technique to be adequate for precision can be challenging.

You do have to make a better chart than Lee provides. It is notorious for reporting light weights, for safety, probably. But if you have a scale, this is easy.

I have owned a couple of different powder throwers and have traded them all off. I now use Lee's Auto-Disk almost exclusively. But if I did not have that, I would just stick a funnel in the powder charging die and use dippers on my Turret press or put a batch of cases in a loading block and use the funnel and dipper to charge.

I know my opinion is not shared by all and I am willing to give evidence for the contrary position a fair hearing, but I have tested my techniques, and for me at least, for their cost, storage space, precision and accuracy (once weight is determined) dippers rule.

Two weak points: Speed and requiring the operator to be more consistent than most mechanical powder measures.

Regards, Lost Sheep

PawPaw

I use dippers regularly. I've even made one from brass that suits my favorite cast bullet .30-30 load. I'll probably make another this summer, once I settle on a smokeless load for the .45-70.

I use what works, and I've got scales, dippers, measures, tricklers. The dipper isn't going to break, is not going to become mis-aligned, won't cut powder and once you get your technique settled, they're very accurate. What's not to like?

Smaug

I use them. They are cheap, effective, and very accurate.

They are not as fast as the Auto Disk Pro powder measure, nor are there as many choices of smaller loads. But there is nothing as versatile, in my opinion.

I too sold my RCBS measure, which had a hell of a time with extruded rifle powder.

"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Hook686

$5 ... sounds like you got a good buy. I have weighed some of my dippers charges. I know the charge weight (+/-) for the dippers I use, as the Lee chart is short by my useage. I use the dippers when I take my hand press, some powder, bullets and primers with me to the range. If I decide to shoot another 50, I can load em up out there. I sometimes shoot til all my preloaded rounds are emptied, but I'm not ready to go home; or, I want to try a little lighter (or heavier) charge for the bullet I'm using.

The dippers make for an easy range loading kit.

Geezerbiker

I use them to fill the pan on some loads. Some powders don't toss well from my powder measure and I like the scoops for that.

Tony

I rarely use them, but I have them.

My set is probably 40 years old or a bit older. Red plastic.

I know that the load card lists a ton of powders that are no longer available.

Fullthrottle

I do have the lee dipper set. I use them for plinking rounds for the range. They seem to be a bit on the light side, I find that great for range practice.

emirikol

I use them all the time. they are more accurate and repeatable than any powder measure. All of my benchrest and hunting ammo is done with dippers(some modified).

For bulk pistol ammo a powder measure is faster and acurate enough.