Lee Dies---Comments?

jdscholer

I just received my first set of Lee dies (32 S&W), after a lifetime of owning only RCBS. Hmmmmm. Don't know if I can get used to the non-locking lock ring concept. I'm trying to remain open minded.

Anyone got any comments or tips? jd

Doodlebugger45

I've used both Lee and RCBS. You're right, the Lee O ring system is kind of rinky dink compared to the RCBS system. But they still work OK. It's not like they back out or get out of adjustment WHILE you're using them. It's just kind of a hassle to get them readjusted each time you change them out. Another poster here has suggested making a mark on the threads and the die body with a permanent marker and then lining that up with a corresponding mark on the press body. That helps quite a bit. Bottom line though is they load ammo just as good as the RCBS dies.

Sidewinder72

Almost everything I have is RCBS, but I was getting a bulge in case by head. So I ordered a factory crimp die to try on 45acp. I was amazed it made them feed perfectly. Never heard of resizing with bullet in case. It works very good and no loss of accuracy. I do not like the O ring, hand tighten only, but it works.

Harleyfixer

I have used all the major brands of dies but I like my Lee the best. In fact I just replaced some Redding , RCBS and Dillon with Lee.

I reload almost exclusively on Lee dies. I've come to like, sort of, the locking ring feature.

It's a lot better in many ways that the old RCBS dies for which you needed the tiny little allen wrench. Never could find the wrench when I needed it.

emcon5

I am very happy with Lee Collet rifle dies, and the Speed-Die pistol dies are great.

I purchased the parts to convert my Dillon Square Deal B press to 9MM, but never bothered to install them simply because when you add the time it takes to fill the primer tubes, I can load just as fast on a single stage press using the speed dies.

Not as impressed with other Lee equipment though. I consider them the Harbor Freight of reloading tools.

dsv424

I have 9 different Lee die sets and not a one has ever given me any problems. I keep them in the red round cases and switch them out in less than a minute on the Classic Turret. Easy as pie.:)

Hardcase

I have no problems with mine, either. As far as setup goes, I just do what the instructions say and it takes me maybe a minute or so to get going for each step in a single stage press.

I have RCBS dies, too, but I do not rely on the locking nut and set them up just like the Lee dies each time. I guess I'm paranoid or something or maybe I just like to do extra work. Who knows?

GeauxTide

I've only used Lee in 45acp and 45LC. Agree with others that they are different. My other 11 calibers are RCBS and Lyman.

jamaica

I have used dies from many makers. C&H, Redding, RCBS, Herter's, and Lee. They all do what they are supposed to do.

I personally do not like the Lee lock rings. Other than that they do just fine. No problems here. They are usually ten bucks cheaper to buy, so maybe that is a factor to consider too?

The idea of putting an indexing mark on both the press and the die may work.

Shoney

I have a lot of dies with a lot of different brand names. I think Lyman dies are overlooked and under-rated as pointed out by noone mentioning them in this thread.

Lee started production many years after I started reloading. For many years people regarded them as junk (and some of their presses were). Their dies are very good. I use their carbide dies almost exclusively for all my semi-auto pistols, and for several surplus rifles that I am not trying to wring the most accuracy out of.

DavidAGO

I like the Lee dies, have ended up getting them in all pistol calibers I need and have retired my RCBS dies. I didn't like the O rings at first, and changed out and used the RCBS lock rings on the Lee dies. That worked fine. After I actually read and followed the directions exactly to set up the O ring system, it works fine also. If you don't like the O rings, just use any lock ring that matches the threads.

DavidAGO

Dannyl

I am VERY HAPPY with Lee Dies

Hi,
I have been using LEE dies for all my handguns (9mmp,0.40S&W,0.45 ACP,357 Mag) since 91'.
Never had problems and after loading many thousands of rounds with each set, the are like new.

for my 30-06 I ended up with Hornady dies only because all shops in my area did not have Lee in stock at the time when I bought them.

IMO Lee offer excellent dies at a good price.

Cheers,
Danny

Crankylove

I love the Lee Factory Crimp Dies...........the loading dies.......I am kinda up in the air about. I have RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Lee, and Hornady dies on my bench right now, so I am not really a brand snob, but the Lee dies are at the bottom of the favorites list. They seem to work just fine, and I have had no problems with them.........so far. But, handling them, they feel.....kinda cheap to me, compared to my other die sets. The no lock ring thing kinda bugs me too, but isnt a huge deal. The biggest thing that bothers me when using my Lee dies, is the sliding expander for the expander die in my 9mm set. None of my other pistol dies have it, and that dang thing thunking up and down with each stroke of the press just drives me nuts!

I got my dies for $13.99 (and they were the only set of 9mm dies I could find within about 150 miles at the time), and for the money, they havent been too bad, but I don't think I would buy another set.
If I had to pick a favorite brand, I would be hard pressed to pick between the RCBS and Lyman dies.

jdscholer

Well, I'll be the twentieth poster on my own thread to weigh in.

I just set them up and cranked out a few tonight, and everything is ducky. If I do put a locking ring on anything, it will be the crimp/seater die. After I get the crimp set the way I like, I don't want to worry about losing the adjustment.

I didn't think I'd have any use for the powder through expander die, but as it works out for the tiny powder charges I'm using for this cartridge, (32 S&W), I probably will. My powder measures don't throw a grain of Bullseye very consistently. I hope to find some data for Trailboss and give that a try. For now, I'm individually weighing each charge and funnel dumping them.:barf:

All in all, it looks like about 18 thumbs up for the cheap---er---inexpensive Lee dies. jd