Lee Classic Turret and 45ACP

KFDiesel

Im using Ranier 230 gr. TCJ RN bullets. In the Lee pamphlet that came with the dies it does not show which disc hole to use for Win. 231 for these bullets. I want to use 5 cc to start. Is the number on the disc the cc's? It looks like according to that I should use the .4 hole. Is that correct?
Kirk

Sounds confused. Do you mean you want to use 5 grains of powder? That would almost equal military load pressure, which pressure is more closely matched by 5.2 grains of 231. 5.0 grains of Bullseye was the actual military load at one time, but it does a little better on velocity than 231 at the same pressure. The density of 231 is about 0.71, and 5 grains weighs about 0.324 grams, so the volume you would need is 0.324/0.72=0.45 CC. I don't own that measure, but I believe the disks, like Lee powder scoops, are marked in CC's of volume. Your 0.4 disk would then throw 0.4*0.72=0.29 grams of powder. 0.29*15.4=4.5 grains (or close enough) of 231. That is a good load. Check it on a scale to be sure it is what you are getting.

CrustyFN

It should be in the paper that came with your disk measure, sorry I don't have mine handy. I hope you are going to check the weight with a scale and not just trust the disk to throw the correct charge. Checking the charge weight on a scale is a must in my opinion.
Rusty

rwilson452

5cc?

Whoa! you don't measure powder by volume. you measure powder by weight. Did you mean 5 grains of powder? That is a hefty charge for a 230gr bullet. The lee autodisk system drops light charges. it's designed that way. When ever your starting out start with a light charge and see how you gun likes them. then move up. I would suggest you don't increase your load more than .2 gr per step with bullseye in a 45ACP. I would suggest a starting load of around 4gr of bullseye with a 230 gr bullet

indeed check you powder throws with a scale.

My bad you were talking 231 not bullseye. i would still start at around 4.3. if memory serves me your top load is 5.3 gr.

O6nop

Either that or you mean .5cc ???.

I'm new at reloading, but it sounds like that load is on the high side for starting out, but I may be wrong.

The Lee Auto-Disk data sheet says Win 231 has a VMD factor of .0931, so...
grains X VMD = cc...
cc / VMD = grains...
.5 / .0931 = 5.37grains

(VMD=Volume Measuring Density)

According to the chart that comes with the Lee Auto disk, the cavity size for 5.3 grains is .49.

I'd wait for more expert response on this, or clarify what you are trying to accomplish.

O6nop

Whoa! you don't measure powder by volume. you measure powder by weight.

I thought you could do it either way, after all, isn't that what a dipper is for? And the dispensers are usually adjusted by volume. The Auto disk cavities are volume oriented aren't they? You just verify the charge by weight.

rwilson452

you drop by volume with a measure but it must be compared to weight to insure the volume drops the correct weight. confusing isn't it.

RNG

Hopefully this attachment worked correctly.

Just scanned in the chart for the Lee Auto Disk Pro. I've highlighted the w231 load recommendations.

WIN-----VMD .30 .32 .34 .37 .40 .43 .46 .49 .53 .57 .61 .66 .71 .76 .82
WIN 231 .0931 3.2 3.4 3.7 4.0 4.3 4.6 4.9 5.3. 5.7 6.1 6.6 7.1 7.6 8.2 8.8 9.5

You'll notice the following VMD's and their associated weights.

.40 will drop (approx) 4.3 gr's of w231
.43 will drop (approx) 4.6 gr's of w231
.46 will drop (approx) 4.9 gr's of w231
.49 will drop (approx) 5.3 gr's of w231

First let me say that you should "WORK UP YOU OWN LOADS".
That said, I've shot these through my Kimber Tactical Pro II w/4.5" barrel using the Rainer Plated 230gr RN with no problems.

I've settled in with 5.1-5.3 gr's w231 with the bullet listed above and have found the disks to be very accurate.

I use the Lee charge bar to drop 5.1 & 5.2 loads and have found the charge bar to be off considerably per it's chart numbers.

Regards,
Richard

Attachments

• Lee-Auto-Disk-Pro-Load-Chart.pdf
    133.3 KB · Views: 27

KeithB78

sounds like you would use the .49 hole in the Lee disc to start. One thing about 231 it fills powder measure cavities very nicely

RNG

Don't know if I would start off with 5.3gr's (VMD .49) I would recommend starting at the min - 4.3 (VMD .40) and working up the loads. 4.3 gr cycled my Kimber just fine and was accurate enough for a plinking load but left alot of unburned powder.

As mentioned above, 5.1-5.3gr w231 is providing me with a nice plinking load.

OAL=1.260
DIA= .470-.471

The 230gr RN Plated Rainers with a .471 taper crimp doesn't cut into the plating and works well for me.

Regards,
Richard

PeteQuad

Actually, if you are new at this, be careful when starting out with the absolute minimum. Often the Lee Pro Auto disk will throw slightly less for the first few bullets, because the powder hasn't fully settled yet. Therefore, if you are starting with a very low powder weight, cycle the turret several times before throwing powder for the first cartridge. Then weigh the powder and make sure it is good, then cycle again and start loading.

Actually, I do that regardless of the amount of powder I am using, but it is especially important when starting with very low weights.

Once the powder is settled, you know how much weight a particular volume drops, and you are in a consistent rhythm, measuring powder by volume is just as accurate as by weight. This is how most factories do it I believe.

06nop,

Actually a lot of Benchresters prefer to go by volume. They believe that the powder's bulk density can change a little with humidity, so they get better charge energy consistency dropping from a Harrel or other high-end measure than by weighing. However, as RWilson said, they all work up a load initially by weighing charges until they find the magic volume they want. Then they have to do it all over again whenever they buy a new lot of powder or primers or bullets or start conditioning a different lot of cases.

Nick

Eric M.

I don't use the Harrel, UncleNick, but load according to the changes in humidity.
I am continually checking my loads with my scale, and will change my adj. powder's settings quite a bit.
As the humidity changes, the powder drops will change.
This can happen quite a bit while loading.

I suppose that I should money up for a good Harrel, instead of playing around like I do.

Lee makes an adjustable charge bar.
It is much easier to us than the disks.
You do need a good powder scale with this, but you should be checking your charges like I posted above anyway.

Eric

Grandpa Shooter

Lee makes an adjustable charge bar.
It is much easier to us than the disks.
You do need a good powder scale with this, but you should be checking your charges like I posted above anyway.

Yes, Lee does make an adjustable charge bar, however I find it does not throw powder well for rifle loads. The trick to using the Lee disks is to use the conversion factor that should have been included with the disks. I had to make spacers to use the disks while loading rifle so that the powder funnel coud "sit" comfortably on top of the disks and not spill powder everywhere. I do prefer the adjustable bar to the disks, but in either case you must cycle the powder throw numerous times to get it settled down to a more uniform throw. I find even then that it varies .1 or .2 from throw to throw. And yes, you must weigh it every time until you get the weight you want. Even then it is a good idea to check the throw weight every "nth" cycle.

CrustyFN

I found that the adjustable charge bar has it's place in reloading but if I can throw it with the normal disk I would rather use it. The charge bar can be a real pain with light loads.
Rusty

Eric M.

I use my Lee Classic Turret for my .45ACP's and my 9mm only.
My powders are W231 and Power Pistol, which meter real nice.
All of my rifle and large pistol reloading, I use my old Lyman All American Turret Press with my Redding and Ideal 55 powder measurers.

Eric

ForneyRider

I use the Pro Auto-Disk.

I keep it closed until I am ready to go. Twisting the hopper is the last thing I do before pulling the handle.

Tapping the hopper a bit will help the powder flow. Especially with the first few loads. Also, static is an issue here in North Texas, so I went off another user's recommendation and wipe the hopper with clothes dryer cloth.

I've done a few batch loads(50+rounds) and several small batches(5-10rounds) and have easier time and less mess than when I started.

I now have the Lee scale so I will check my loads to see how they compare to Lee's charts. Also have the double disk and Lee drum powder measuer.