Lee Carbide Die Decapping Problem

dajowi

I was in the middle of depriming some brass when the primers started to become only partially pushed out of the primer pocket. I had to remove the shell holder from the press and pound the primer back into the primer pocked to get the case out of the shell holder. From the instructions I reset the die depth from the shell holder. This didn't help. Moving the lock ring further up the die wasn't helpful. The very top of the die has a threaded nut which for some reason I can't adjust left or right, like it's welded on, (I know it can't be). The decapping pin protrudes from the end of the die and I didn't bother to measure how far it stuck out from the end of the die when the die was working correctly. I can't find anything on the Lee site which describes the function of the top (adjustment) nut on the die. Any suggestions?

DaveInPA

You have to loosen that nut on the top of the die, which is a collet holding the decapping pin. It will come loose. Just use a wrench both on the collet and the die itself. Then adjust the pin so it's protruding farther out the bottom of the die and re-tighten the collet.

zxcvbob

Loosed that 1/2" nut on top of the die (it's actually a collet, and it *might* be 9/16") and push the decapping pin back down until it is flush with the end of the nut, then tighten it very snug again.

wwmkwood

It should be REAL tight, it's what holds the pin from sliding when you deprime a case. It's designed to slip before the pin breaks if you ever get a case with an offset or undersized flash hole